• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is folder directory

Engaged ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've had Lightroom for some time, but finally decided to use it, watched 3 videos for beginners and it seemed to skip, the basic thing of how do I show the folders on my hard drive to pick what I want to see?

Also I am wondering I have hundreds of keywords in Bridge in a heirarchical organized structure and Lightroom has none,.  can the list be imported? 

Also in Bridge I rate things I don't want as 1 and then filter all with 1 and delete.  In Lightroom can this be done, or only filter those with 1 or more?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share info about the Lightroom application you have installed the version number and also the version and build number of your Windows OS.

See the screen capture for more info.

BF3A5FAB-013E-4267-A051-F6CC50F1F2A1.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic 11.5

Win 11

Attaching Bridge SS as it shows folders I can choose,

Where in LR can I get something similar to choose.  Only showing imported it seems and so how to select more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I figured out the importing part and found the directory tree, So I am wondering about the Bridge keywords importability into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I imported a batch of folders that had keywords in Bridge, now the same all appeared in LR.  so it accepts the same keywords but lacking the ones that aren't on any in the current group, I would still need to import the keyword list to be able to apply ones that are already in the bridge list but not here.  I don't want to just add and create duplicates..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic 11.5

Win 11

Attaching Bridge SS as it shows folders I can choose,

Where in LR can I get something similar to choose.  Only showing imported it seems and so how to select more?

By @robirdman1

That is how it's supposed to be. Bridge is a browser; it shows every folder that's on your disk. Lightroom is a catalog application. It only shows those folders that have imported images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Bridge I can search for all that have no keywords or descriptions.  Can I in Lightroom? I want to apply to those lacking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can. Click on the 'Text' filter at the top of the grid. Select 'Keywords' or 'Captions' and then 'are empty'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working quite as expected.  I imported a lot of day folders into lightroom.  In bridge they had been cropped , exposure in Camera Raw.  Many had keywords added and descriptions.  In bridge some lacked these and videos lacked thumbnails.  What I liked about LR was that the videos had thumbnails and played.  Everything that had keywords or descriptions, locations etc. in bridge was carried over to LR.  In most cases those that didn't had keyords in a list from those that did and I could add.  there were some without the keyword choice though that existed on the Bridge list but none of the imported had.  I went back to Bridge and it seemed that none of the keywords added in LR now showed in Bridge, so I added from there and also to the ones that lacked them. When I went back to LR, none of the ones with Bridge added keywords had them and they still weren't on the list.  I suppose that this is because after importing.  So what happens if I re-import?  

the main reason I have kept Bridge all these years is because a helpful Adobe forum person created a metadata extractor, by which I can extract the chosen metadata from a selection of files and subsequently tweak and import into my MSAccess database that keeps track of all my images, published, earnings, all kinds of useful data. Since I can extract from thousands of new images in one step, this saves hours and hours of data entry.  If Bridge can't recognize the keywords added in LR I would still have to be wedded to it, unless the metatdata extractor could be likewise used in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, I just realized,all my cropping, keyword,  description, location data etc is all added when the file names are those the camera gives.  When I am all done and ready to start making tiffs or extract data, I renumber and rename according to my own system, using Bridge's rename facility.  Will Lightroom recognize the images with all the changes applied when the name is changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, I just realized,all my cropping, keyword,  description, location data etc is all added when the file names are those the camera gives.  When I am all done and ready to start making tiffs or extract data, I renumber and rename according to my own system, using Bridge's rename facility.  Will Lightroom recognize the images with all the changes applied when the name is changed?

By @robirdman1

No, you'll create a disaster if you rename images outside of Lightroom. Lightroom will not know where they are anymore, and because they are renamed you would have to 'reconnect' them one by one. All bulk reconnection methods will fail. Using Lightroom and Bridge back and forth is asking for troubles. Decide on one and don't use the other, unless you know exactly what you are doing and how to do it so both apps understand what happened.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure a shorter way to take advantage of the fact that LR shows video thumbnails and Bridge doesn't. by applying names and keywords in LR where I can see the thumbs, could group and copy going by the file names.  But unlike Bridge I don't see the file names under the thumbs, just star ratings.  Can I get the names to show there, so I don't have to go to each image to see its name.  Also I see some have the wrong keyword, in a search for those with falcon as keyword but it won't let me correct it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filenames are shown on the right in the Metadata Panel. You can also control what information is shown above/below the thumbnail, including file name, using Ctrl-J (Windows) or Cmd-J (Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see that it was top label I had to check, thanks. It took me 3 hours to apply names and keywords going back and forth from LR and Bridge for about 100 videos without thumbs.  Next batch should be a little less time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

... going back and forth from LR and Bridge ...

Please, let's use the abbreviation LrC (since Lr refers to other software).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download a free book as a PDF file for Lightroom Classic at the link below. It provides the basic features to get the best setup as you are now starting out.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines