Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Where should my mobile sync images be stored?

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now my images are stored on a My Passport external hard drive, and only backup when the HD is plugged in. Previously, my images lived on my internal HD which backedup to Dropbox. I have since changed this setup to the external flow. 

As my images were previously stored on internal HD, my Lr Mobile images would sync to Lr Classic desktop and the internal HD no problem. With my new external HD flow, my mobile images seem to not sync correctly with Lr Classic desktop. They don't show whatsoever. 

Below is an image of my Lr Classic desktop view with zero mobile images, in addition to another screenshot of the location which Lightroom Sync is currently targeting: my external My Passport HD

Given this external location, will my mobile images only show in Lr Classic desktop when the external HD is plugged in? What if I open Lr Classic without the external plugged in? Will this disrupt the sync or flow?

Preferences-2.pngScreenshot_7_24_21__10_21_AM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have synchronization set to a secondary internal hard drive. But having it configured to an external hard drive should be no problem as far as I can see. The synchronization can only take place when the computer is active. When the EHD is eventually activated it seems to me that the synchronization could then proceed. I have two EHD drives that are permanently connected. Although there are not constantly used and sleep most of the time, they are always readily available when needed. Windows 10 will wait for them to spin up, so it poses no problem..

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The questionmark on the folder symbol in Lightroom Classic folder panel indicates that the folder is not available / present.

Given this external location, will my mobile images only show in Lr Classic desktop when the external HD is plugged in?

If images have been synced to the external drive, then they sholuld be 'visible' whether it's connected or not. However, they cannot be edited unless the external drive is connected or you've created local smart previews.

> What if I open Lr Classic without the external plugged in? Will this disrupt the sync or flow?

If the drive is not connected, then the sync cannot take place and images will not be present / visible in Lightroom Classic.  In other words, the only way that the sync can take place is that the external drive remains connected until the sync is complete.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply. Is there a more sensible set up for mobile images, or is my current flow fine? I shouldn't be storing my mobile images in a different place than the other images right?

One final question: if I delete images from mobile that were previously sync'd to external drive, will the same images be removed from the external during sync or will it not fully re-update the entire stack of images?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines