Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which resampling algorithm does Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Which resampling algorithm does LR Classic use? I count 7 different ones in Photoshop. I always use Preserve Details 2.0 in PS. Can I choose the one I want in LR?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you do not have a manual selection of resampling algorithm, in Lightroom Classic. I would suspect more than one such may be involved - but, it's all a 'black-box' so far as the user is concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom resampling is a hybrid Bicubic algorithm that interpolates between Bicubic and Bicubic Smoother for upsampling and Bicubic and Bicubic Sharper for downsampling. Lightroom and ACR uses a adaptive bicubic algorithm: the algorithm parameters are chosen automatically based on the relationship between the original image size and the final image size. These parameters were determined empirically by doing lots of experiments with photos being resampled to common output sizes, such as web-sized images (800 to 1000pixels on the longer dimension), small prints, and big prints. I can see slight improvement over the same resizing using various Photoshop algorithms.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's certainly good to know. Thanks to you both for the quick reply. I consider Preserve Detail 2.0 to be the gold standard in the Adobe world and have regarded the others as inferior for serious resampling jobs (more than 2x). This of course requires a trip into Photoshop, which is not a big deal, but if it can be done in LR, why not? I guess I'll continue my present workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also be interested, if you haven't already come across them, in LrC's AI "Enhance" and also Super Resolution doubling - the same options being also available within ACR. This kind of approach goes beyond just the resizing algorithm because it modifies the demosaicing and conversion itself - (I have presumed here, perhaps wrongly, but judging by your reply, that you are principally interested in upsampling beyond the in-camera resolution).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I'm mostly upsampling. II think I knew about these but had forgotten about them. I gotta get them into my workflow. Thanks for reminding me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines