• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Who can update my Canon 5d3 VSCO Camera Profiles to be compatible with the Canon R6?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for someone who can update some of my Canon 5d3 VSCO camera profiles to work in Camera Raw with a Canon R6. My presets dont show up anymore because they arent compatible. When I try to copy the presets onto a image the Camera Profile shows a yellow excalmation mark next to it stating that it couldnt be found. So I am thinking if I have new camera profiles for these presets it should work like usual. I have been scrambling the internet for an answer on this. I am at the point of being willing to pay someone to do this for me if they know how. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

I can help you, I figured this out and it works on my R6. Send me whatever .DCP camera profile you want in 5d mark iv and I will convert it so it will work for your R6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

WOO! I figured it out thanks to this old video from Carmen & Ingo Photography (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMNemLondeQ)
Step by step for others who might be looking for how to convert old VSCO desktop presets to work with canon eso R5 and R6 cameras in Lightroom:
1. download a Hex editor for mac if you don't already have on one your computer. I downloaded Hex Fiend from the app store for free and it worked great.
2. Go to where your VSCO presets are stored currently for Lightroom. For me (and p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can accomplish something like this in Adobe's dng profile editor by loading a dng from your R6 (just export as dng from Lightroom or use dng converter), setting the base profile to the VSCO profile you want to emulate and then you save it as a new profile. The profile editor hasn't been updated since 2012 and is buggy on modern operating systems.

If you are comfortable in the command line, you can also use dcptool (http://dcptool.sourceforge.net/Introduction.html ) and decompile the dcp to xml, edit it to apply to the R6 (look at dcp files meant for the the R6 and see what camera identifier is used there) and then recompile to a dcp for the R6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really want this to make sense, and I really want to update my VSCO profiles so that it matches files from my Mark IV........but I just can't figure any of this out. Am I interpreting you right - if I want to update my old VSCO colour profile, to include the R6, I have to download this DCP tool, somehow decompile the vsco dcp to an XML, somehow find out the camera identifier of the R6 by looking at a different dcp file from somewhere, then edit the vsco xml to include the R6 camera identifier, then recompile to a dcp.

I've downloaded the dcp zip file, and followed the instructions, but I don't understand what you mean by the command line? Is this the windows command prompt box? I'm familiar with that, and am trying to run the command prompt as per the instructions on the dcp tool page, but it keeps telling me it's not a recognised command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can help you, I figured this out and it works on my R6. Send me whatever .DCP camera profile you want in 5d mark iv and I will convert it so it will work for your R6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke, Is this something you could do for me? Same issue with my new canon r6 that I just got, vsco profiles are missing, so frustrating as I have gigs to edit. ANy help please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi @lukel84345042
would you be willing to share the process for updating these old VSCO profiles to work with the r6 or at the very least do you happen to know the R6 camera identifier so I can make an attempt to figure it out using a video I found on youtube? (video has the process for updating but not the CI for the canon r6)
thanks a million!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you, by any chance, also have the version for the R5? I can't figure it out. If I shared with you the profiles for the Mark IV, would you be able to convert them to R5? Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I was wondering if there is any way you'd be willing to help me on this as well? I upgraded to a Nikon Z7ii and I would really love to get my old profiles back!  I would be willing to pay for your time if you are able to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idk have any idea how to do this. This is all in another language that my brain doesn't understand AT ALL! PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also @lukel84345042 I have the r6ii if that makes a difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, I used the profiles on here https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nvm7f0n9vao70/Canon_R6_vsco_camera_profiles which are awesome!! But have recently upgraded to a r6ii and can't figure out how to get the profile to work. Any help would be hugley appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola estoy intentado crear VSCO camera profiles para mi cámara Canon EOS 1D X Mark II pero no consigo que funcione, veo que tu lo conseguiste, me puedes ayudar? Gracias.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey! Did you get it to work for your R6ii?? I'm really hoping to get a dcp for Kodak Royal -400 c for my R6ii but am not having much luck as weirdly the VSCo dcp files are not on my iMac even though the profiles work for my mark 3 files. I just don't understand. If anyone can help I'd be super appreciative and I'm happy to pay too 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOO! I figured it out thanks to this old video from Carmen & Ingo Photography (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMNemLondeQ)
Step by step for others who might be looking for how to convert old VSCO desktop presets to work with canon eso R5 and R6 cameras in Lightroom:
1. download a Hex editor for mac if you don't already have on one your computer. I downloaded Hex Fiend from the app store for free and it worked great.
2. Go to where your VSCO presets are stored currently for Lightroom. For me (and probably most folks) this location is HD>Users>[Your User Name]>Library>Application Support>Adobe>CAMERA RAW>CameraProfiles>VSCO Film 00 Canon Profiles
*note* your location might be a little different and many folks have all the VSCO presets dumped all together into the CameraProfiles 

3. Look for the camera profile version for the CANON EOS 6D in this example I'll pick the profile titled "Canon EOS 6D Kodak Gold 100 - C.dcp"
*note* not every preset or version of a preset will have it's own camera profile. Many VSCO presets and versions are built on the same camera profile. So for this Film Pack 00 there are about 32 preset in Lightroom's Presets panel (in the Develop tab) but they're all built on the base of just 3 camera profiles.
4. Create a folder on your desktop to store a copy of the files we'll be working on. Copy and paste "Canon EOS 6D Kodak Gold 100 - C.dcp" into the desktop folder you just created and change the name from 6D to R6 (or whatever name you want it to show in Lightroom. This will not change the actual file at all)
5. Open the Hex editor program and you'll see an empty box. Drag and drop the "Canon EOS 6D Kodak Gold 100 - C.dcp" file onto the empty Hex editor box.
6. You'll see a whole bunch of numbers on one side and mostly special characters on the other. Don't freak out, it's supposed to look like that.

7. Hit command F to open the Find/search box. On the right side of the Hex editor you should see some text among the special characters that says "Canon EOS 6D".
8. In the Find/search box type in 6D and the search or next button.

*note* Make sure you use the same capitalization in the find/search box

9. On the right you should see that the text 6D is highlighted and the 4 corresponding numbers on the right are also highlighted (in this case the highlighted numbers are 3644 followed by several zeros that are not highlighted).

10. In the REPLACE field of the search box type in R6 and hit the REPLACE button.

11. This will replace the 6D text and corresponding hex numbers to the R6 hex numbers.
12. Hit command S to save (or File>Save) and close the file.

13. Drag and drop (or copy/paste) the edited file from the desktop folder you created earlier back into the CAMERAPROFILES folder with all the other VSCO lightroom camera profiles.
14. Open or restart Lightroom.
*note* you must restart lightroom after moving the file for it to show up
15. Throw yourself a damn party cuz you did it!!!!

I think this should probably work for any .dcp camera profile not just vsco so if you have other old presets or, like me, the custom presets you use on everything were made via a thousand tweaks from other older presets.

This video shows a hack how you can use a brand new camera model before Vsco is releasing a update for their presets. It's free, it's easy. We need it for our swith from Canon 5d Mark III to Canon 5d Mark IV It's sure a workaround and you need adjustments on your preset, but you can at least use ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An additional note:
The video updates the presets to the Canon 5D Mark iv. Because the number of characters are significantly different it can be tricky to get them correct in the hex so I use the 6D (same # of characters as R6) to help simplify the process and I feel the sensors are close enough that I am really happy with the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it still possible with the last Lightroom Classic version ? I tried (many times) to convert my 5D mk III camera profiles to IV ones, exactly like you and the original youtube video explained, but I can't import them. Lightroom says that there is a problem with the files, when I import via the app. If I put them in the folder, they just don't appear in the app (missing camera profile when I a apply a VSCO preset). Can you still use your camera profiles yet ? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Xavier, I experience the same problem. I putted the DCP files into the 'CameraProfiles' folder but when clicking on the VSCO filters, Lightroom still gives me the 'profile missing' error. Do you already have a solution for this?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again as said in my first reply in this post, there is a MUCH simpler way than using a hex editor. You simply use dcptool to decompile the dcp to a xml file that you can edit directly in a text editor replacing the camera string for the correct string. Than recompile the xml into a dcp file and you are done. No messing with the binary file. dcp files are simply binary translations of the xml code you see in the xml files dcptool generates so much better to edit that as it is human readable and therefrore little chance to get it wrong.

It's as simple as:

./dcpTool -d yourdcpfile.dcp yourxml.xml

edit yourxml.xml in a text editor and replace the camera identifier string and save

./dcpTool -c yourxml.xml newdcpfile.dcp

And import the new dcp file into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For someone who doesn't know what those things are then there are a lot of questions.
Personally I read that and I think "is dcptool a program? Where do I get that program?" "what does decompile mean?" "what's an xml file?" "What is the camera string? Is it the whole name of the camera? Does it matter if the spaces are in the right place or does capitalization matter?" "What does recompile mean and how do I do that so it's a dcp file again?" "Is this new file meant to replace the other one or is it in addition to the other one?" Etc.

I'd probably go through and google each question to try to figure the process out but for someone without your experience I don't know that I'd consider that MUCH simpler. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a Canon user, so I don't know anything about the profile situation. However, I was made aware of this website that sells profiles for different cameras. Don't know  you are interested, but profiles for the model you are concerned about are available for purchase for $25. Here is the link for your consideration:

https://www.colorfidelity.com/canon.htm 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim! 
I actually just bought those and they are a fantastic stand in for the Camera Standard/Faithful/Neutral etc. profiles that Lightroom has still not yet updated or included for these newer cameras. So this is a great option if you have the new R5/R6 camera and have presets built using the Camera Standard/Faithful/Neutral etc. profiles! 

The old VSCO presets have very specific camera profiles that are used as the base for their presets so if you have a preset that you've tweaked over the years based on, say, the Kodak Portra 200 preset, you'll need the Kodak Portra camera profile updated otherwise it likely won't look at all the same if you just use the Camera Standard or Adobe Standard profiles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I tried to do what you did and had no luck whatsoever.  I commend you on your ability to do this.

Is there any way you would be willing to send me the updated dcp files?  I'm using an R6 (which I love).  I'd be happy to pay you for your troubles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can help you with this if you are still stuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finally figured this out, canon R6 user. message me if you need me to send you these

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines