• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I have to keep pressing 'update AI settings' to see my edits?

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry if this is an obvious fix, but as much as I appreciate the brilliant new masking updates of lightroom, I'm getting very frustrated that every time I'm reopening a collection to contiue editing on, instead of seeing my previously edited version of the photo, I see a small triangle with an exclamation mark and 'update AI settings'. When I click on that, the edits return, but having to go through a whole catalogue of 1000+ photos and do this is such a time waster. I must be missing something here, why does it appear and better yet, can I do something to just keep the edits there permenantly? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you look in this forum for "MacOS permissions", could be that.

Specifically: how-to-give-full-disk-access-to-lightroom-classic-on-macos 

The new masking saves / caches the results from AI mask calculation to a separate resource location on disk alongside the Catalog, ready for retrieval when you next come back to the same photo. Perhaps in your case the application is not currently successful at writing those data out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is not the permissions problem as mentioned by @richardplondon , then it sounds like maybe you deleted this separate file. It is called 'catalogname.lrcat-data' and should not be deleted. If you rename or move a catalog, then make sure this file gets renamed or moved too.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True: but I would hope that if this folder was found absent, it should then get re-created - the next time a new AI mask was generated? Assuming LrC had the permissions to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@richardplondon wrote:

True: but I would hope that if this folder was found absent, it should then get re-created - the next time a new AI mask was generated? Assuming LrC had the permissions to do that.

Yes, it does get recreated, but you have to update each mask to do that. Lightroom won't do it automatically.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, 

Thanks so much for your replies and help! So I've opened the folder up and seen a ridiculous amount of 'data' in reds - I have had quite a few issues with my laptop in the last two weeks and so I'm not sure if this is the result of that or if its normal?

I believe the reason I'm having to press it again and again is because it's being uploaded/downloaded to icloud each time...anyone else experienced this? What do you recommend, that I just remove lightroom from icloud altogether?

Thank-you

Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 16.31.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iCloud is Apple, not Adobe. If you really store your Lightroom catalog in iCloud Drive, then indeed maybe you should not do that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how I can do that? And also if it's safe to delete all the excess .lrcat-data files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@iqraa61698126 wrote:

Does anyone know how I can do that? And also if it's safe to delete all the excess .lrcat-data files?

I have never seem those files on my system. There should only be one file, called 'catalogname.lrcat-data'. Yes, it should be possible to delete them. The worse that can happen is that you once again need to update the masks.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan, I have seen your solution posted in a couple of forums. The problem I am having with it is that it is only a one time solution. I delete the .lrcat-data file, let Lr rebuild and it does work for the most part....until it doesn't. Usually I have to do this each time I open Lr. The regenerated file is a read only file (but so are the others) and I have no control of the read only setting. Do you know of a permanent solution to this problem? Perhaps a setting within Lr or my PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like a problem with your PC (Windows?). I am a Macintosh user, so I have no expertise with that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines