• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does import do this?

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have three external hard drives connected to my computer. When I click on IMPORT, Lightroom goes to tweo of the drives before going to the drive in which my catalog/photos are stored. This takes about a half minute each time. In preferences I have the Select the "Current/Previous Import" collection during import box checked off. This a brand new computer. Nothing is different than the previous nine year old computer which never did this. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

@robertv47531707   Can we see a full-screen screen-clip of your Import dialog that shows all the available drives in the left-hand 'Souce' panel, the central screen 'Method' , and the right-hand option panels?

Please (for easy viewing) insert the screen-clip using the [Insert Photos] icon above your reply.

Rob_Cullen_0-1702944480594.png

Do your external drives have consistent (never changing) drive letters?  (eg. P:  Q:  R: )

Are they plugged in with varying random order?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean by this:

When I click on IMPORT, Lightroom goes to tweo of the drives before going to the drive in which my catalog/photos are stored.

Please explain further what this means. Also tell us what you see to support the above statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watch the external drive light flickr for about ten seconds on each of
the two drives before it reads the third drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"a brand new computer"  Then I suggest you should NOT be 'Importing', but instead restoring (Copying) the catalog and photos from the old computer.

Move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are Importing new files on the "third drive" that are not already in the Catalog- correct?

If you want to [ADD] photos in the Import dialog, you should select the "third" drive (or specific folder) in the Source panel, to only show files on that specific drive/folder.

The "Current/Previous Import" option in Preferences, does not influence the source of files for the Import- instead it is supposed to alter the images displayed in the Grid view. (I don't see a difference checked or unchecked!!)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess no one has an answer to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unplug the other two drives while you're using Lr?

It's not clear why you'd expect us to be able to troubleshoot a local problem with your PC: it really doesn't scream "LightRoom issue" - the fact that it has only started since you started using a new machine, strongly suggests that it's something about the computer configuration, not Lr.

"Nothing is different than the previous nine year old computer which never did this."

Nothing? What about the OS? Very few 9+ year old PCs will run Windows 11 without some pretty beefy upgrades - and a lot of them simply can't be upgraded short of a motherboard/RAM/GPU/PSU/cooling system-up rebuild.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no difference between the two computers as far as the way Lightroom is configured and the external drives are configured. The only difference is the old computer is running Windows 10 and the new one is Windows 11. Pressing Import in Lightroom should not affect how Lightroom looks for the import on different versions of Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there's actually quite a significant difference. It's entirely likely this is a Win 10 vs Win 11 issue, rather than a LightRoom issue...

"Pressing Import in Lightroom should not affect how Lightroom looks for the import on different versions of Windows."

You'd think - and yet here we are. That's why I reckon it's an OS-level thing: as you point out, "I guess no one has an answer to this problem.

There's probably a reason for that - like it's outwith the scope of LightRoom expertise..

First rule of software fault-finding/troubleshooting: establish what has changed, and rule it out as the cause of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. And I'm the only one with external drives using Windows 11 that has a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robertv47531707   Can we see a full-screen screen-clip of your Import dialog that shows all the available drives in the left-hand 'Souce' panel, the central screen 'Method' , and the right-hand option panels?

Please (for easy viewing) insert the screen-clip using the [Insert Photos] icon above your reply.

Rob_Cullen_0-1702944480594.png

Do your external drives have consistent (never changing) drive letters?  (eg. P:  Q:  R: )

Are they plugged in with varying random order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. They are exactly the same as before. Like I stated above, nothing is different except Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines