• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Why does Lightroom freeze when I enable GPU support?

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom freezes every time I enable GPU support. I have to kill the LR process.
How do I get GPU Supprt working?

System Information:

Lightroom Classic-Version: 11.3.1 [ 202204181225-f90ebff5 ]
Lizenz: Creative Cloud
Spracheinstellung: de
Betriebssystem: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19044
Anwendungsarchitektur: x64
Systemarchitektur: x64
Anzahl logischer Prozessoren: 12
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,5GHz
SQLite-Version: 3.36.0
Integrierter Speicher: 32700,4 MB
Für Lightroom verfügbarer phys. Speicher: 32700,4 MB
Von Lightroom verwendeter phys. Speicher: 1421,1 MB (4,3%)
Von Lightroom verwendeter virtueller Speicher: 2735,3 MB
Anzahl GDI-Objekte: 856
Anzahl BENUTZER-Objekte: 3107
Anzahl Prozess-Handles: 3092
Cache-Speichergröße: 225,0MB
Interne Camera Raw-Version: 14.3 [ 1072 ]
Maximale Anzahl Threads, die Camera Raw verwendet: 5
Camera Raw SIMD-Optimierung: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Virtueller Speicher in Camera Raw: 266MB / 16350MB (1%)
Physischer Speicher in Camera Raw: 267MB / 32700MB (0%)
DPI-Einstellung des Systems: 96 DPI
Desktop-Komposition aktiviert: Ja
Monitore/Anzeigegeräte: 1) 1920x1200
Eingabetypen: Multitouch: Nein, integrierte Toucheingabe: Nein, integrierter Stift: Nein, externe Toucheingabe: Nein, externer Stift: Nein, Tastatur: Nein
Informationen zum Grafikprozessor: 
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (30.0.15.1215)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. On the Mac, that's part of the OS update(s) so if this is the latest OS version, you may need to roll back a release.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!
Any suggestions what the bug is about? (maybe this is community knowledge because this bug seems to exist as long as the GPU feature)
Because, I don't think nvidia will change anything if I tell them "Lightroom freezes becaus of an bug".
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about your help ... maybe there are some additional details 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check with Nvidia to see if there is an updated driver for your graphics card. If you are on the latest driver, try installing an older driver to see if that makes a difference. If neither one of those solutions work then just don't worry about activating the graphics processor. I used an old HP Pavilion for years that didn't support GPU acceleration. Lightroom worked just fine. Just didn't have access to a couple of features like impromptu slideshow, for example.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!
Yes it works with GPU support turned off, but I want to take the speed advantage ^^
Do you know which driver version could work? There are hundrets or thousands of versions to check...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monitore/Anzeigegeräte: 1) 1920x1200

As you are not running that display at 4K and beyond, the use Graphics Processor option might not provide performance improvements.

Any corrections/comments from other members? Is that option now needed for some features?

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (30.0.15.1215)

So v512.15, I see at NVIDIA that v512.77 (Game Ready) and v512.59 (Studio)  available.  When updating, select custom as to allow for a clean install.

/note/ I do not know if NVIDIA ever mentions in the notes, corrections due to LrC issues.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this information!
I thought GPU support additionally speeds up serval processes inside the development module.
Version 512.77 Game Ready Driver doesn't fix the bug.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what a lot of users think/expect. In reality, from what I understand, GPU acceleration primarily affects users of 4K monitors. There is some minimal performance affect for other types of computer setups, but nothing that would really be noticeable or something to be concerned about.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should not be having such issues with that nice new GPU. Had it been very old, say NVIDIA GTX 800 series and older, then use Graphics processor could have been a very bad option, but would probably be worse.

Have you considered resetting the LrC preferences file? 

see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

The preference file can get corrupted leading to buggy behavior. A corrupt preference file will survive uninstalls, updates, and upgrades. By renaming or moving or deleting the preference file you create a situation where LrC will recreate a fresh new one upon startup of LrC. Be aware various settings will revert to defaults.

Also see:

https://shotkit.com/lightroom-keeps-crashing/

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines