• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does LR erase my files on my computer after Import?

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I fix it that I still have access to my files on my desktop.  LR still sees the files but I cannot. Only been since the newest upgrade. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from download&install>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to posting and reading. I opened the email. clicked on a couple of
blue writings and cannot see a reply. How do I see replies?

Kind regards,

<personal info removed - kglad>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. don't reply from email, esp if you have a personal signiture.

2. click the subject title ("Why does LR erase...") to see your thread with your post and all replies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the [Move] method when you imported the files?

Your screen-clip of LrC shows only 'Collections'-  Not informative!

Compare folder location by-

1) [Right-Click] on one photo in LrC Library and select [Go to Folder in Library]-

2) [Right-Click] on one photo in LrC Library and select [Show in Finder]-

Does this show you the same folder as you show in your 'Finder Info' screen-clip?

What are {Leo Card 1} and {Leo Card 2}?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just noticed it says move and import photos.  I have been using LR for years and never has done this. Only since the newest upgrade. I just need it to stop.  How do I get it to copy and import? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post in a reply a screenshot of your import screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"..never has done this..." - Well something changed it!. Always pays to check the 'method' at the top of the Import dialog.

"IMPORT" is the process of including your photos in a Lightroom Catalog.

When you open the Import dialog there are options- The commonly used options are COPY and ADD-

COPY does two things as it reads the files on the camera memory card- It copies (downloads) them to a folder on the hard-drive, the originals on the card. AND makes a reference thumbnail in the Catalog (reference is to the location on the Hard-drive).

Rob_Cullen_0-1668123068676.jpeg

ADD does one thing as it reads the files that are already in a folder on the hard-drive then makes a reference thumbnail in the Catalog. Not available for Importing from Camera Cards.

Rob_Cullen_2-1668123068679.jpeg

MOVE is also not available for Importing from Camera Cards, but it can Import photos existing on a Hard-drive and move then to a folder selected in the Destination Folder. If you select [Move] then YOU need to know where LrC will move them to.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen capture shows Lightroom Classic, not Lightroom. The answer to your question would be different if you were using Lightroom. I am moving this to the Lightroom Classic forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I tried to move this but wasn't able to. Perhaps another moderator can give it a try.

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines