• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does my authentication code come from Russia?

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While using Lightroom yesterday, the program stopped responding and eventually went off. I started up again but although I could see my work as I had left it, it was behind the sign in panel. I entered my user name, and then was prompted to enter the last 4 digits of my phone number. An authentication code then arrived on my phone, but from a number in Russia. I have had authentication codes from Adobe before, but this is the first from Russia. I have not entered the code or put my password into Lightroom, but cannot get onto Lightroom until I do. Is this some elaborate hacking scam?

It's the same with Photoshop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can  you  do the same process again  and screenshot the  code with the number from Russia and post it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_20210109-142508_Messages.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, As you can see, I received a code from Adobe in December from a sender that the phone called 'Adobe'. The next messages came from these numbers in Russia. I can log into the Adobe website just fine, and changing my security settings resulted in more notifications from the Russian numbers. I imagine that Adobe use a service in Russia for their European customers. That's fine. I just want to be certain that this is not a sophisticated scam, given the change in 'sender'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run a full deep virus scan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the very first thing I did. BitDefender found a file that could not be scanned within the Adobe files: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\libde265.dat=>libde265.dll

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same issue. I have no idea why is it a password-protected file. Did you find any solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the same thing with the BitDefender scan and came here hopefully looking for the same answer.  I am going to run the scan on another computer with lightroom and see what it comes up with as I also cannot see any reason why it would be password protected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my attempts to date to contact Adobe about this have sent me in circles. The anti-phishing team just replied with a link to the support page of the main website that could not answer my question. I still cannot use Lightroom or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you uninstall and reinstall your creative cloud app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose I could do, but that must surely be a last resort. How much information will I lose in terms of Lightroom presets and adjustments to my existing collection? And if it then turns out that Adobe are simply using a service that is based in Russia, then I have completely wasted my time.

I had hoped that someone from Adobe would be able to say either, "Yes, this is entirely normal for European customers," or "No way! That's clearly a scam."

I've tried emailing the 'phishing' mail address and contacted customer support via Twitter. I just get sent to the support page on the website which takes me in circles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you received the emails about the update ok as mentioned in the message?
If you updated your security and was notified and messaged what does it matter where the message comes from??

I am in Uganda currently and have had codes from Adobe showing no number just Adobe on my iPhone .... but I do recall seeing phone numbers from different regions... why not Russia?? Do you think they alone are the hackers??? LOL

I think you are being way over cautious ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an "official" Adobe Activation number listed here:

https://www.adobe.com/mena_en/activation/phonenumbers.html

Russia

Toll free: 501 418 07 44
Direct (toll number): (44) 20 7365 0567

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines