• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why not locate a Folders panel in the Develop module?

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rarely use Collections within my workflow and therefore rely on the Folders panel to locate my images, but I curse every time I have to flip into the Library module, simply to access Folders in order to find another image to process.

So, why can't I have a Folders panel in the Develop module as well?

Yes, I know I only have to hit 'E' and 'D' to flip back a forth between the two modules but I would like to offer this as a UI enhancement request, if Adobe is listening ...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are beating a dead horse here.

This has been discussed before (search the forums), and since we are already up to Lightroom 6 and Adobe hasn't done it in the approximately 10 years that Lightroom has existed, I really don't think its going to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often find it helpful to click the dropdown icon on the information strip – see image below – which allows switching between recent sources.

recentSource.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, why can't I have a Folders panel in the Develop module as well?

Please add your me-too vote and detailed opinion to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom CC - Go to Album ; Publish Services and Folders in Develop Module; | Photoshop Family Cust... . Adobe product developers read every post there, but are rarely seen in this forum.  (I do agree with dj_paige that it's unlikely Adobe will change this, unless at some point they decide to do a major regroove of the entire LR interface, at which point all the feedback in the feedback forum will have some influence.)

In addition to the tip from 99jon, you could use the Any Source plugin, which has a command that lets you quickly search and select any folder, collection, or published collection, in any module including Develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual, John and I agree.

But I'd like to add that I have been using LR since LR 2, and I see absolutely no interest on the part of Adobe to improve "folder organizing" in Lightroom. I cannot think of a single change made to Lightroom that makes folder organizing easier, and really, that's not the idea behind Lightroom anyway ... Lightroom is a database organizing tool, not a folder organizing tool.

In addition, it seems to me (and I know this rubs some people the wrong way) that Lightroom tries to encourage a more orderly workflow, by not allowing you to organize into folders except in the Library Module. In other words, a more orderly workflow, that works much easier inside of Lightroom, is: do ALL of your organizing, then do ALL of your Developing (or perhaps do it in the opposite order). The idea of not putting photos into folders until such time as you have Developed the photo, and then do it one at a time, falls outside the underlying concept of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this post when trying to solve the same problem.  I frequently need to jump between file folders in Develop mode, having to select Library Menu first wastes time and efficiency.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I stated ealier, I think you are beating a dead horse here.

This has been discussed before (search the forums), and since we are already up to Lightroom 9 and Adobe hasn't done it in the approximately 10 years that Lightroom has existed, I really don't think its going to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 12.5 ... and it aint happen yet.

I find it real annoying having to switch to library module to select  folder to see my filmstrip after DXO Photolabs reexports my file back to LR and put it in the DxO the collection set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As stated above, it seems as if Adobe has no interest in making "folder organizing" easier. The whole underlying concept of Lightroom Classic is a database, not folders. So, don't hold your breath on Adobe making this change, Adobe first released Lightroom over 15 years ago and they haven't done it yet, and most likely they do not want to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines