Will LR backups work if I put the folder into the cloud on Dropbox?

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have a new laptop and would like to have a bit more room on it. If I move the backup folder to dropbox will LR still back up the catalogue to this location?

Thank you!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Along time ago when Lightroom was first a standalone product, and dropbox was just starting up, I used exacty the scenerio yoou are asking about.  It was a bed experience, as had serious difficulties keeping synchronized between the files I was editing within Lightroom and the new DropBox. I finally stopped using Dropbox for my production files.  Although I haven't tried what you're asking about in a long time, I had some terrible messes that caused me waste of time and some loss of media files.  I now only use DropBox for exporting and saving more "permanent" files.  
It is possble synchronizing is better now, however now that Dropbox has selective synchronizing, it all scares me a little.   I'd like to hear from others.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite the concerns from @MTNShootR , you don't actively try to access backup copies of Lightroom Classic, other than perhaps once every few years when there is a problem with your working catalog.

So, placing backups in DropBox seems reasonable to me (unlike placing the working catalog in DropBox, which is indeed a recipe for disaster).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In principle yes, but there may be a problem. Moving the catalog backup folder to Dropbox by itself does not create more room. The Dropbox folder is a local folder. You can however set the sync of any folder inside your Dropbox folder to 'Online only'. That will upload the contents to Dropbox and then delete the local copy (and leave just a kind of link). That is probably what you want to do. This should work for catalog backups too, but there may be a problem if Dropbox is too eager: Lightroom first creates the backup copies (there are two files now that are backed up), and then it zips them. If one of those copies has already been uploaded and deleted before Lightroom could create the zip, you may get an error. So try it to see if it works.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a current response from Dropbox support concerning a question about throughout and bandwidth.  His response touches on internal workings of Dropbox synchronizing
___
Pete, Feb 15, 2022, 5:52 PM PST:

Hi Steven,

Thank you for writing back to Dropbox Support.

Dropbox tries to use the least amount of network bandwidth possible when syncing your files.

1. If a file has been uploaded to your account before, and hasn't been deleted, Dropbox won't upload it again.

2. Dropbox will try to only upload the parts of a file that have changed, not the entire file.

3. Dropbox clients (app installed on a desktop device) on the same local network will try to sync directly with each other over your network.

• You can learn more about it here: Dropbox.com/help/137

You can also manually stop or pause Dropbox to prevent syncing if bandwidth is an issue. You can resume syncing later when bandwidth is no longer an issue.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every Catalog backup done by LrC creates a completely new file (actually two files which are zipped and placed into a new folder which has a name of the date and time of its creation. Surely Dropbox should / could be treated as a new file. When you do a backup in LrC it does not update the contents of an existing file.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.6.5,; LrC 11.3.1, Lr 5.3, Ps 23.3.2-ACR 14.3,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Each time Lightroom Classic makes a new backup, a new folder with a previously unused name is created. Dropbox will most certainly update by transferring this new folder and its contents to "the cloud".

So this idea that DropBox won't do this is incorrect. I agree with the message you wrote that if you just put a file with the same name into DropBox, then perhaps it won't be uploaded, but that's not what Lightroom Classic is doing when it makes a backup.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removed, posted to this thread in error.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.6.5,; LrC 11.3.1, Lr 5.3, Ps 23.3.2-ACR 14.3,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines