• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will LRC save my catalog/edits if I move all files to a different drive?

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working on moving all the files from my 'family' drive to a bigger drive (of course to have more room). I've been working on this family drive (in Lightroom Classic) for years now and have tons of edits, color corrections, tags, and more. If I move all the files to this new drive is it possible for Lightroom to see the new drive as the old one and remember all the work I've done with the previous catalog? If I give the drive the same 'family drive' name, will it work?

I hope this is clear. I'm hoping to do this soon.

I'm using Lightroom Classic Cloud 11.4

iMacOS, Catalina

Thanks,

Will

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you do it properly. Here are the instructions: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm Please scroll down to the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" and follow the instructions carefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great, thanks. I'm trying now - one folder at a time!

Thanks again,

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this on a parent folder, and all sub-folders will re-connect. You shouldn't have to do this one folder at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know. I just want to do one folder, reassign the location, eject the 'old' drive and then open LRC back up to see if it works. After that I'll feel confident that it works and will do the remaining folders - both parent and kids.

Thanks,

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pity that you already started, because you could do it in an even easier way. Copy all the image folders to the new drive keeping the exact same hierarchy and then just give the new drive the exact same name as the old one. Disconnect or rename the old drive. That's all. Lightroom won't know the difference.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought of that and actually, and I could still do that. I just wasn't sure if the drive name alone would be enough to tell Lightroom that this is the same drive. I didn't know if LRC went deeper than the name of it.

I'll probably still do the reassignment of folder locations which won't take me that long. 

thanks,

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought of that and actually, and I could still do that. I just wasn't sure if the drive name alone would be enough to tell Lightroom that this is the same drive. I didn't know if LRC went deeper than the name of it.

By @g7sharp9

Usually this trick won't work on a Mac. MacOS keeps track of disks by assigning a Unique Disk Identifier code, so MacOS can work with multiple disks having the same name and still knows the difference. But Lightroom does not use that. It uses a simple path with the disk name in it, so if the name is the same as what Lightroom has in its paths, then it will assume this is the same disk.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines