• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(Win11 22H2) Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and Bridge are all crashing since recent Windows update

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After latest (automatic) Windows 11 (22H2) Updates below, all installed (working) Lightroom Classic 2023 (12.0.1.0), Photoshop 2023 (24.0.0.59) and Bridge 2023 (13.0.0.562) are now crashing when loading Nikon NEF file. It actually crashes entire Windows OS and I have to power off to restart Windows OS. 

1. 2022-11 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5020622).

2. 2022-11 .NET 6.0.11 Update for x64 Client (KB5020743).

3. 2022-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5019980).

Today, I had tried to uninstall and reinstall Lightroom Classic 2023, Photoshop 2023 and Bridge 2023, but it do not fix any crashing issue. Can anyone help?

Two Lightroom's Windows system report are below:

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Lightroom.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Lightroom.exe
Application Version: 12.0.1.1
Application Timestamp: 6358cbe5
Fault Module Name: ui.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.1.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 6358ca88
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000126a48
OS Version: 10.0.22621.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: ad3e
Additional Information 2: ad3ebaef0c582296709560c54298769f
Additional Information 3: bbb0
Additional Information 4: bbb059d4908a9d8487638c86e35807b6

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Lightroom.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Lightroom.exe
Application Version: 12.0.1.1
Application Timestamp: 6358cbe5
Fault Module Name: onnxruntime.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.11.22.318
Fault Module Timestamp: 62351fee
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000000377ce
OS Version: 10.0.22621.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: b1bf
Additional Information 2: b1bf8baffda55104261a94c32aba95e9
Additional Information 3: 2838
Additional Information 4: 28385993da9dcb32f83c16c585e889b0

{thread title updated by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

The root cause of "out of memory" crashing issue has now been identified and fixed in my PC. It is caused by disable "virtual memory" (page file) after Microsoft.NET update then repartitioning disk drive. 

Thanks for all your time and support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the Lightroom Community. I'll help you with fixing this.

I've checked the crash reports & I could find one report for Photoshop & the above-shared information refers to Microsoft's machine learning API to be the cause. Follow the steps in this help article to submit crash reports for all the apps that crash: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html

You can also open Event Viewer from Windows Search.

• Go to Windows Logs > Application Logs & look for Error & Warning logs.

SameerK_0-1668606926144.png

• Share the log related to Lightroom Classic or Photoshop's crash instance with us.

1. Try booting up the Windows OS in Safe Mode to see if it still crashes.
  2. Try the troubleshooting steps to narrow down the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-crash-or-freeze.html

Keep me posted on how it goes from here. Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually crashes entire Windows OS and I have to power off to restart Windows OS. 

Entire computer crashing is almost always a symptom of a bad driver or a hardware malfunctions somewhere. You need to re-install/upgrade/downgrade all of your drivers for your computer (video driver is the most likely culprit but any other drivers such as motherboard or other could be the culprit). If that doesn't help then start looking for hardware malfunctions (disk drive, RAM, motherboard).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sameer,

The log attached to my original post is extracted from Windows events log. There is only limited application critical error log lines (see the reason below).

Today I did more testing to further narrow down the issue. My testing results are below:

Lightroom Classic:

1. By using an empty category, I can start LrC without issue. But once imported image then it will cause Windows OS running out of memory. As a result that all other running DLLs & application & external monitor control (including Desktop Windows Manager) will be forcefully shutdown (stop working). This is the cause of black & blink PC screen and no event log generated.
  2. Without disable GPU, LrC can load no image at all.

After disabled GPU, it can load small sized JPG file.  But it will crash the OS (out of memory) when loading any TIFF or NEF files.

1. LrC will not start in Safe Mode – app cannot login to Adobe Cloud without WiFi based internet connection in Safe Mode.

Photoshop:

1. Same as LrC, I can start PS without issue. But it will cause Windows OS running out of memory when open any image file. This is the reason without events log after Desktop Windows Manager stopped working.
  2. After disabled GPU, PS can open small sized JPG file.

After disabled GPU, it can load small sized JPG file.  But it will crash the OS (out of memory)  when loading any TIFF or NEF files.

1. PS is working in Safe Mode without crashing. Because there is no OpenGL in Safe Mode to access the GPU, GPU is automatically disabled.

Bridge:

The crash is actually caused by PS when opening an image. The result is the same as Photoshop testing.

Last night I had already tried using most of the steps described in "https://helpx.adobe.comphotoshopkbtroubleshoot-crash-or-freeze.html" to do the test before posting the issue for help.

Before today’s testing I had updated to the latest version of NVIDIA GeForce MX150 GPU driver to ensure it is working.

I have also tested latest version of Topaz Sharpen AI & Topaz DeNoise AI in which both apps are using GPU - there is no any issue for Topaz apps to load & process large TIFF & NEF files.

As a former Windows VC developer over 35 years, I had tried my best to trace the issue and narrow down the root cause. It is clear that LrC & PS crashing were caused by the shared Adobe image loading module in which it is not compatible to the latest Microsoft .Net update. On the same day before Windows update, both LrC & PS were working perfectly.  But its now both apps crash just after Windows (.Net) update. Because there is no way to “uninstall” .Net update without reinstalling Windows OS. It is not possible to rollback but only to fix it in LrC & PS. I have also attached a file containing some today’s testing Critical Error logs + Photoshop generated error report & wish it can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info:

1. Once LrC or PS crashed, there is no way to start any applicartion with "out of memory" error!

2. I had already sent the Photoshop generated error report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The root cause of "out of memory" crashing issue has now been identified and fixed in my PC. It is caused by disable "virtual memory" (page file) after Microsoft.NET update then repartitioning disk drive. 

Thanks for all your time and support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is the why.

How did you fix it.
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines