• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workflow question: LR mobile (iPad) -> Adobe Cloud -> LR Classic ->delete from cloud but keep on mac

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

forgive me for being slow, but I can't get my head around an issue for a while now.
I can't find a reliable workflow to save images out of the Adobe Cloud onto my local LR classic catalog permanently.

My setup:

• Adobe Creative Cloud subscriber, basic photo plan for LR and PS with 20GB Cloud storage
  • I use LR and LR Classic on my iMac and LR mobile on my iPad Pro (all latest versions)

Everything is fine. I often import images on my iPad Pro into LR mobile and they are synced to the Adobe Cloud and show up in LR and LR Classic on my iMac shortly after.
In LR Classic these images show up in a "All Synced Photographs" part of my catalog and they are downloaded to a local folder on my disc which I have specified in "Preferences" > "Lightroom Sync" > "Specify location for Lightroom's Synced images".
So far so good. Up to this point I have a nice workflow for importing images on the iPad, working with them an the go and have everything synced to my iMac.
If I had unlimited Adobe Cloud storage, the story would end here.

But I have limited Cloud storage and here is what I want to do, but don't seem to be able:
- delete images from the Adobe Cloud, but keep the local copy with the edits I made in my iMac. I don't care about the copy on the iPad, but the one on the iMac should stay.
Every time I delete an image in the Adobe Cloud, it is deleted on all devices.

I tried moving the files in LR Classic to a different folder. That works in terms of moving the local file to a new location. But it keeps the sync to cloud intact. When I delete my images in the Adobe Cloud even those local files which I have moved somewhere else are deleted.
I've already lost a couple of good images, because I didn't expect them to be deleted after I moved them to a different location on my harddrive.

I'm looking for a reliable step on my iMac to do to a synced image to unlink it, or to break the sync.
To "convert" it from a linked/synced image to a local file which is no longer tetherd to the Adobe Cloud.

Either that, or a quick pointer where my thinking is wrong. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious.

I'm beginning to think I maybe must run a regular import in LR Classic on the "All synced photographs" folder, to get an un-synced copy. Is that's what I'm supposed to do?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Robin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Take a look at the workflow described in this article How to Use Lightroom Mobile for Temporary Travel

He says specifically:

"The next time you want to venture out with just a mobile device, delete the images in the Lightroom Mobile app as described earlier to start with a blank slate. Or, to do the same from within Classic, select All Synced Photographs in the Catalog panel, select the images, and choose Photo > Remove from All Synced Photographs. The photos are deleted from Creative Cloud and t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the workflow described in this article How to Use Lightroom Mobile for Temporary Travel

He says specifically:

"The next time you want to venture out with just a mobile device, delete the images in the Lightroom Mobile app as described earlier to start with a blank slate. Or, to do the same from within Classic, select All Synced Photographs in the Catalog panel, select the images, and choose Photo > Remove from All Synced Photographs. The photos are deleted from Creative Cloud and the mobile device, but remain in the Classic catalog."

This sounds like it should do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin,

Thank you !
Yes, the workflow described on the linked article (How to use LR Mobile for temporary travel) is exactly what I'm looking for.

I was following the steps described there and indeed. Deleting an image on the mobile version removes it from the Adobe cloud and from the "All Synced Photographs" folder in my LR Classic catalog - but it leaves the actual file on the harddrive of my Mac. Including edits (XMP sidecar in my case).

From there I can now move the image files to a permanent location on my harddrive and add them to a local collection.

It's not elegant, but it does work from what I can see now.

Thank you so very much ! I tried to solve this for months without much successs.

Cheers,

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, and "Remove from all synced photographs" seems to do exactly the same thing as deleting an image on mobile does. 

Both ways work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines