• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photo placed in wrong spot on map

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Lightroom version has a major bug in the map module!When you try to position a photo somewhere on the map Lightroom 6.8 assigns a wrong position (near the spot).

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

This bug has been outstanding for many years.  Workarounds:

1. Set Preferences > Interface > Font Size to Automatic and the Windows Display Settings > Scale And Layout to 100%.   Dragging photos to the map and the Develop eye dropper then become accurate for most people. But if the fonts are now too small, adjust the Windows Display Settings scaling, not the font size in LR.  (That works for some but not all people.)

2. Instead of dragging to the map, right-click the map location and do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017
I have been able to reproduce this issue and I have logged a bug as well.

Thanks,
Smit Keniya
Adobe Lightroom Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 142 Replies 142
142 Comments
Contributor ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria
Yes LrC ver 10.3  (duh!!)

OS  Win 20H2 Build 19042 1052

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @jim_robertson_7046865 hopefully another Windows user can see if they can reproduce it too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like this oldie that I do not believe has ever been fixed - 

Lightroom Classic: Mapping errors (Windows 10)

The easy workaround is to right-click on the map and choose "Add GPS Coordinates to Selected Photos" rather than dragging & dropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tom. That worked.

I thought it was something that had come up before, but my (lousy) search didn't bring it up.

I never had a problem until this last update - strange, but at least I can now accurately place the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier this week, I was trying to drag some photos, for which I don’t have GPS coordinates, onto the map in Lightroom Classic 10.3, a task that I’ve done properly many times before but in older versions of LR. But nothing happens. I had also taken a couple of pictures with my iPhone, and they appeared properly on the map. I was even able to copy and paste the coordinates of one of these images onto the GPS field in the map module, and this worked. But dragging and dropping onto the map didn’t work. Neither did right-clicking where I wanted the photos to drop and selecting Add GPS to selected photos. The only way I was able to map the images was in a tedious way by typing in coordinates into the GPS field in the map module, then correcting them as needed until the map showed my best estimate of where I was when I took each shot.

After submitting this problem to Kelby One, it was suggested I go back to LR 10.2. So I did this. I was able to map images using the right-click method but not the drag-and-drop one. Will Adobe be able to correct this problem in a later release of Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragging and dropping images without GPS onto the Map works for me in 10.3, though it did take about 30 seconds for the 370+ photos to show up in the count on the map. I am using 10.3 on a Mac with Mojave. If rebooting or waiting longer doesn't help you, maybe the Lightroom preferences need to be reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be related to this one: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mapping-errors-wind...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I drag thumbnails from the filmstrip to the map, Lightroom places the pin to the right and down. On my 4K monitor that's about one inch right, a quarter inch down. It takes me a few hit-and-misses to get the pin placed correctly. When I copy the GPS coordinates from an image's metadata and use these in Google Maps, this shows up in the same place as the Map module's pin.
I run LR Classic CC latest version 10.4 on Windows 10 Pro latest version, Nvidia Geforce Studio driver latest version, and I use a wired mouse that functions fine.

Any suggestions for overcoming this issue, other than the trusted hit-and-miss work-around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a longstanding bug in LR Windows:

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mapping-er... 

See the Accepted Solution in that thread for two workarounds.

When that bug report gets copied into the new consolidated forum, your report should get merged into it. If Adobe ever fixes the bug (unlikely), you'd get notified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the last version of lightroom classic as of spetember 2021.

I was looking at the map of my photos when I realized some photos were not assigned at the right location so I started to move them. But the more I did the more there were photos that were assigned stupid location. I was only moving photos that were single (not clustered with other nearby photos so no error on that point). And I remebered for someof them that the location they had befor was ok. Finally I started to find photos on the map that did not even have GPS coodinates! They were randomly placed on the map. Thats when I realized that lightroom do not respect the cooordinates!!! So I opened 3 different other software using different metadata api and all of them showed the photos in the correct location. I lightroom the error ranges from a few meters to several thousand kilometers. (and it is not a question of cluster and zoom level). So this module is unasable for me, but also I regret having trust it since correctly placed photos were moved by trusting lightroom.

This bug really needs to be corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when trying to manually position a photo on the map, the photo is not located at the point I dragged it to, but further to the right and further down. The displacement is always constant, measured in mm on my screen, no matter what resolution the underlying map is in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RRFfm - That's a long standing problem on high res/high DPI monitors.  The work around is to right-click on the map location and choose "Add GPS Coordinates to Selected Photos" instead of using drag and drop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, it works, thanks for the quick help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge this with the previously existing Bug (29 votes, which didn't initially get copied over):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/lightroom-classic-photo-placed-in-wrong-spot-o... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still not fixed. Having the font scaling in Lightroom (latest version - 11.0.1) different from the system value seems to be (one of the) cause(s). Is there anything I can do to help with getting this fixed. The workarounds work, but one of them makes the font scaling feature in Lightroom pointless, and the other makes it slower to put photos on the map.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to 11.0.1 . Still not fixed. Ludicrous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up until a couple of weeks ago the GPS feature worked really well. Now when I try and adjust the GPS location (or create one for a photo that does not have this already) it drops the GPS pin in a slightly different location to where I click on screen. For example if I try and drop the GPS pin on my house it will instead drop it about 1-2 streets away. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Updated my answer, from the old feedback forum]

This bug has been outstanding for many years.  Workarounds:

1. Set Preferences > Interface > Font Size to Automatic and the Windows Display Settings > Scale And Layout to 100%.   Dragging photos to the map and the Develop eye dropper then become accurate for most people. But if the fonts are now too small, adjust the Windows Display Settings scaling, not the font size in LR.  (That works for some but not all people.)

2. Instead of dragging to the map, right-click the map location and do Add GPS Coordinates To Selected Photos. That should place the photo accurately.  Dragging the map pin also works accurately for most people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I move photos to a spot on the map in the map module in LRC the little shield always appears a couple of cm to the NW of the intended location. Slightly irritating, an anyone help. I am using windows. N

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Difference in cm? You are asking too much from GPS

https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the little shield always appears a couple of cm to the NW of the intended location."

I assume you mean centimeters on your display, not centimeters of actual GPS coordinates. This is a longstanding bug in LR on Windows that Adobe has not fixed.  See this post for easy workarounds:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-photo-placed-in-wrong-spot-on-map/idc-p/1276... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Item 2 in the the above post of johnrellis is an easy and perfect workaround.
And it's easier and more reliable than the method 1.
In LR Classic 11.5 the bug is still present. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022