Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XMP files are not created in case of enabled "automaticaly save xmp"

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
Im usnig LR Classic. Basically it is working fine, but my last problem is: Lightroom dont create XMP Files. 
I have imported RAW Files from differnt folders. Only for files in the first imported folder the XMP files are created, for the second imported folder not. Even if I try to save with Ctrl/s nothing hepend. 

If I create a new cataloge, so in all three folders XMP files will be created as well. Thats could be the sollution, but in this case above, I have allready ca 200 files finished (from 1800). So would need do the same work again for them. 

So anyone an idea, why XMP will not be created in one folder and in onother one as well? 

BR

Arthur

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to check a wild hunch.

The RAW files in question, are they DNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
No, the RAW files are Panasonic RW2. How I noted before after creat a new or different catalog, so XMP files are created as well.

well, what do you mean by "wild hunch"?

thx, Arthur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, what do you mean by "wild hunch"?

DNG  files are considered RAW, but the xmp data is treated differently in LrC, typically kept internal to the DNG file, hence no separate xmp file. Others have wondered where the xmp data to DNG files went in the past.

So my hunch shot down in flames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make any edits or added metadata like keywords? If nothing was done with these images yet, then Lightroom has no reason to save an .xmp file. The DNG question was because DNG files do not get an .xmp sidecar file. Instead, the metadata are saved in the file itself.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, of course I do any changes like exposure, etc. So a XMP should be created in this case. 
lets explain what I did:
I have 3 folders with different RAW files and different amount of  them. Folder A, B and C. 
So the first step I importet file from folder A. Enabled this option for automaticaly save XMP - everything worked fine.
After processing all files from folder A, went ahead with folder B... importet, and edited ca 200 files as I note, there are no XMPs. 
In folder A, all XMPs was created, but in folder B no one. Imorted files from C create XMPs, too.

Well, for testing, I creaded a new cataloge (deleted some XMPs) and imported this some files from each folder again, and look: the XMPs will be created in all three folders.

Absolutelly no idea, why in this first case, XMPs will be created after editing/changing some parameters.

Br, Arthur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

*I mean why only in folder B no XMPs are created after editing them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines