• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XMP files

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to put xmp files in a separate folder from the raw files? I don't have that function automatically turned on. But recently, I lost my catalog. Thankfully, I have a backup, so I only lost a few sessions. I did lose an entire edits on one of those sessions because I don't have the xmp files saved. I want to have the xmp sidecards, but don't want them to slow things down. Is there a way around this? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When needed, the xmp files need to be with the photos, side by side

If you send your RAW photo to someone to look at, they will need the xmp file to read the edits. THe software they use will read the xmp file IF it supports that and it is in the same folder as the photo

Lightroom Killer Tips | Writing XMP Files in Lightroom (why you shouldn’t and when you should) 

If you need to use the xmp file to recover from a corrupt catalog that was not backed up, they need to be side by side in the same folder.

Photography Concentrate | A Lightroom Tip That Could Save You 

Only two reasons to create the xmp file, Sharing and Disaster recovery.

Note, not everything will come back via recovery using xmp files, I think the History for one does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! So, do you recommend saving xmp files on for every gallery? I'm not using an editor, so not sharing my files with anyone. But I'm worried about corruption and losing all the edits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use XMP files, but rely almost exclusively on the Lightroom catalog. I shoot almost exclusively raw files. But if I want to provide images to others for inspection or approval I won't provide them with raw files, but will export JPEG copies. In the 10 years or more that I have been using Lightroom I have only had to resort to restoring a backup catalog one time. The key for me has always been to ensure that I have good backups of my working catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the second time my catalog corrupted. Last time was about 2-3 years ago. You're right. I think I should make a habbit of backing things up more frequently, so I don't rely on xmp and not having to worry about losing my edits. Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And backups to multiple drives. But never the same drive as the originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's actually my next question. How do you do that? I figured going into Catalog Settings > Backup everytime I exit. But there's no where I can assign the backup files to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manually, by simply copying the folder the catalog is in. (or I suppose, copy the compressed backup manually)

Automatically via third party backup programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and just a friendly reminder

You are backing up your photos somewhere, correct?

Remember they are not in the catalog, and LrC does not back them up when it backs the catalog up.

You would be surprised on how many members fail this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend that you do not follow the suggestion by 'GoldingD' to manually copy the folder containing the catalog. Firstly, the folder also contains the LrC previews, which can range from a few GB to hundreds of GB. It also fails to carry out integrity checks on the catalog. So, you could be, as others have in past, saving a catalog with damage that hasn't yet manifested itself. Therefore, best you use the tools designed by Adobe to ensure a fully tested and optimised backup catalog.

You set up 'when' LrC backs up the catalog in 'Catalogs Setting > General' I'll leave it to you to decide what backup strategy for 'when' is, but to configure 'where' it should be stored you should temporarily choose 'When Lightroom next exits' (i.e. last on the list of option for 'when'. Next you need to exit LrC. As part of the exit process LrC will display the dialog shown below. It's here that you select the 'location' (where) to which to LrC catalog backup is to be saved. Ideally, choose a different disk to the one used by LrC, and preferably this location should be somewhere that your system backup app (e.g. Time Machine') includes.

LrC-backup-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured going into Catalog Settings > Backup everytime I exit. But there's no where I can assign the backup files to.

Incorrect. The backup dialog allows you to choose what disk/folder the backup goes to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to have the xmp sidecards, but don't want them to slow things down. Is there a way around this?

xmp sidecar files do not slow anything down

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines