• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XMP metadata not being applied at import for DNG and raw Camera images LrC.

Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC 11.2 on macOS 11.6.2.

My iMac mid-2015 is unable to upgrade to macOS 12.
In responding to a thread in this forum I downloaded a DNG file which the Author of the thread shared via Dropbox. The image was saved to a folder on my desktop and imported the image to LrC via Add option. After import there were no edits displayed in Develop module. I did not immediately respond to my experience as I thought that the Author simply did not save metadata to the file.

Subsequently I returned to the thread and realized that another user was commenting on the edits.

I then utilize the option to "read metadata from file" and the edits were applied. My expectation is the edits should have been automatically applied at import.

The following morning I copied a couple of raw images from my Olympus camera to a folder on my desktop and proceeded to edit directly in PS / ACR.

Checked to ensure the xmp sidecar was present in the folder and imported to LrC via the Add option.

The edits done in ACR 14.2 were not applied automatically and I had to use "read metadata from the file" to apply the edits.

Expected behavior: The edits should be applied at import automatically.

Actual experience: LrC 11.2 did apply the edits.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For raw+XMP I am not able to duplicate this. There is a small delay while the image updates in Lightroom Classic but no read for Metadata is needed. For DNG the experience is the same but no delay for updating the preview was necessary. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that you do not have a develop preset applied on import that overrides the metadata edits.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will check into that.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that my "Default Develop settings" somehow got changed. This problem only started a few days ago after the update to LrC 11.2. See the screen capture where it's at the moment.

Only one other thought to check on, my iMac prompted me to update my OS from macOS 11.6.2 to 11.6.3 but the update failed. I have not been able to get update completed for four or five days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Default Develop settings.Default Develop settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to applying a develop preset in the import dialog, not to a preset as camera default.

Your camera defaults seem normal, though incomplete. You have checked 'Override global settings for specific cameras', but you have not defined any cameras...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a look at the problem, and I think Johan will be correct. With my global Raw Defaults set to the same Adobe Default as yours, importing either already processed DNGs or Raw+XMP into LrC will result in the edits and other metadata being applied as expected. However, if I import again, but this time also include the Adobe Default PRESET in the Apply During Import part of the Import dialog, then I find that the edits are indeed reset (but not the non-edit metadata such as ratings, keywords, label etc.).

Which I guess means that the import sequence would be first to apply the Adobe Default raw settings for the initial raw conversion, then secondly to read and apply any embedded metadata contained in the DNG or XMP sidecar, then finally apply any preset included in the import dialog. In my case the Adobe Default preset does what I would expect and resets the edits back to default. 

So I suggest you check your import dialog (or import preset if you are using one) to see if you are indeed applying a preset which is over-riding the embedded edit metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips. I do not usually apply additional presets at import.

I have no idea why my Camera info is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally got it working correctly, resetting the LrC Preferences got the job done.

"Overwrite Global settings" is not selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines