Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Yellow screen when leaving crop mode

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

On macOS 12.2.1, running LrC 11.2, I sometimes have a yellow (R: 255, G: 255, B: 0) rectangle for a second instead of my picture.

It doesn't happen always, but enough to be noticed.

I am currently working on Z50 RAW files.

M1 MBA / 16 GB / macOS 12.4 / LrC 11.4.1
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

The first thing that you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#troubleshooting

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

Another step is to try to reset the Lightroom preferences.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#troubleshooting

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

Another step is to try to reset the Lightroom preferences.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the correct answer to my issue since it causes a performance loss. It doesn't fix it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the correct answer to my issue since it causes a performance loss. It doesn't fix it 

By @tubalos

The correct answer:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4

Solution 4: GPU and graphics driver troubleshooting steps.

If none of the troubleshooting steps above solve the issue, your last option is to purchase a compatible graphics card, or completely disable the graphics processor using the following steps:

Launch Lightroom Classic.
Navigate to one of the following:
(macOS) Lightroom Classic > Preferences > Performance
(Windows) Edit > Preferences > Performance
Do one of the following:
Lightroom Classic (version 8.4)
From the Use Graphics Processor drop-down menu, select Off.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started seeing this as well on my M1 Max Macbook Pro running macOS 12.5 / LRC 11.5

I definitely shouldn't have to turn off GPU acceleration on this machine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thing you can chose to turn it on or off ... 😄

Workaround to turn off hardware acceleration is just bad, but instead the issue should be fixed. 

My first message is 6+ month old and it is still happening 🙄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it*. This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

* on Mac, that's part of the OS that needs a fix.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it is a gpu bug. The topic is about macs, so as you say, gpu drivers ship with the system. 

It is just still not fixed and that's why we are still talking about it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it is a gpu bug. The topic is about macs, so as you say, gpu drivers ship with the system. 

It is just still not fixed and that's why we are still talking about it. 

By @tubalos

Ask Apple! It's their bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know? If you are in the know then you should have either fixed it or already reported it through a dedicated channel. Since it is still present after more than 6 months, I guess you know nothing since you just pasted a KB link. You didn't even read the issue since you didn't notice at first it was about a Mac. 
That said, that's ok if that not up to you to look into the issue and fix/report it. Just don't throw a "it's their bug". You just don't know. Just like I don't. 

Adobe has very much likely a dedicated support channel with Apple and this issue should better discussed there. It is not my random feedback assistant report that will be picked up. It shows up in an Adobe product, not on any other software I use on my machine. So I'm first suspecting Lightroom.  

Adobe is selling a product that has a bug on a plateform that as literally... 3 different chips (M1, M1 Pro/Max/Ultra, M2). GPU acceleration is not a minor feature either. 

Fun fact: a few years back I reported a bug in the Capture One forums, where the export was bad on a specific graphic card chip on macOS. They first suspected a possible involvement of the driver. After investigation, it was a bug in Capture One and they fixed it. But first 1) they acknowledged my request, 2) took the ownership of the bug and reproduced it, 3) fixed it. It could have been a driver bug, and I'd have been fine as well to update the driver. In any case, they were the best suited to investigate/take follow up actions. 

I see nothing like that in this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know?

By @tubalos

Simple; you disable GPU, the reason that option exists, the issue goes away. It IS a GPU bug. 

More and more PS/LR functionality will continue to move to the GPU; that's a historical fun fact of Adobe programming. 

Your choice; help Apple fix it or keep it off. Or roll back to an older version that didn't use the GPU. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a joke this place is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a joke this place is

By @TimKamppinen

I'm sorry the facts have ruined your day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. If it works fine when disabling GPU acceleration it just means the problem lies within that feature. It can be a bug on how Lightroom prepares/sends the data to the gpu or a bug on how the driver handles that request. Or maybe both. Who knows. Just don't assert things when you don't know.

Good for Adobe if they want to ship more and more products with hardware acceleration. But if they have similar bugs showing up there too, they should stand up and find a way to fix/report it. Because you don't make your customers pay for a software and don't dare taking care of it. And then having the community say "close your eyes and disable a feature that has a big performance impact, no worries"

I'm only wishing Affinity will come up with a competitor of Lightroom and I can finally finish my switch. 
I'm not using PS anymore. Affinity Photo is just years ahead in terms of performance and usability. Plus they don't have bugs that bug me. In the meantime, I'm stuck with LR since it has a different workflow than PS/Affinity Photo. 

I get it, you make a living circling around Adobe products. You are also maybe getting insider previews  on Adobe tools and other privileges that you don't want to lose by being too critical (or critical at all) towards Adobe product. But open your eyes, Adobe tools can have bugs and Adobe must tend to them because it is their job to make sure clients are satisfied with their products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm filing this report in the bug section in the hope an Adobe employee picks it up and helps resolving it. Let me know what you need. I can run/send diagnostic data of the machine, as well as test files. 

The issue lies with the gpu acceleration that sometimes causes a yellow rectangle is briefly shown in place of the picture after applying a crop. 
By disabling the hardware acceleration, the yellow rectangle is gone, but then there's a performance hit. 

This shows that the issue lies in the hardware acceleration option of LR. Wether it is a LR bug or a macOS bug, I don't know. I just know I (only) have the issue using LR. 

@TimKamppinen also reported the same issue. 

We are both on the latest public versions of macOS (12.5) and LR (11.5)

Both our machines are recent (less than two years old after their release) and we are expecting hardware acceleration to work on them without a hitch. 

Original thread (misplaced in "discussions"):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/yellow-screen-when-leaving-crop-mode/m-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4

Solution 4: GPU and graphics driver troubleshooting steps

If you run into any of the issues listed above, try the following solutions in order.

Confirm that you're using the latest version of Lightroom Classic.

Choose Help > Updates. For additional details, see the article Update Creative Cloud apps.

Confirm that your graphics card is compatible with Lightroom Classic. To determine your graphics card make and model, see the section How do I determine the make and model of my graphics card?

Update your graphics card driver.

If you're experiencing any of the issues listed above, or Lightroom Classic isn't accessing your graphics processor and your graphics card meets the minimum system requirements, update the graphics driver.

macOS:

Graphics drivers are updated via operating system updates. To make sure that you have the latest macOS updates, choose Software Update from the menu or the Updates tab in the App Store application.

Windows:

Download the most recent driver directly from your graphics card manufacturer's website:

NVIDIA drivers
AMD/ATI drivers
Intel drivers
Perform a clean installation of your graphics card driver

When upgrading the graphics card driver, it is recommended that you remove all previous versions of the graphics card driver from your computer before installing the new one. This is called a clean installation.

Once you’ve determined the make and model of your graphics card in your computer, follow your card’s manufacturer documentation and resources below:

NVIDIA drivers: How to perform a clean installation of my Nvidia drivers?
AMD drivers: AMD Clean Uninstall Utility
Intel: Intel Driver & Support Assistant (Intel DSA)
After installing the updates, relaunch Lightroom Classic. Turn on the Use Graphics Processor option in Preferences and retry the steps that caused the problem.

Note:
Windows Update won't always give you the latest and greatest drivers. You must go directly to your card manufacturer’s website to check for driver updates.
Be sure to choose the correct driver. Notebook drivers sometimes have a different name than similar desktop drivers.
Some video adapter manufacturers have other software that requires updating in addition to the video driver. Read the update instructions carefully, and contact the video adapter manufacturer directly if you don't understand the instructions.
Disable third-party graphics accelerators. Third-party GPU overclocking utilities and haxies aren't supported.

Multiple graphics cards with conflicting drivers can cause problems with GPU-accelerated or enabled features in Lightroom Classic. For best results, connect two (or more) monitors into one graphics card.

(macOS)

Disable Automatic graphic switching on the Energy Saver tab in the System Preferences.

For more details, refer to Apple's documentation: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202043

(Windows)

If you must use more than one graphics card, remove or disable the less powerful cards. For example, assume that you have two different cards using two different drivers—an NVIDIA graphics card and an AMD graphics card. In this case, ensure that Lightroom has been assigned the High Performance graphics card rather than Integrated Graphics or Power Saving graphics card.

NVIDIA:

Right-click anywhere on the desktop and choose the NVIDIA control panel.
Click Manage 3D settings.
Click Program Settings and add Lightroom.exe. Change the preferred graphics processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor.
AMD:

Right-click anywhere on the desktop and choose the AMD Catalyst Control Center or Configure Switchable Graphics.
Click Browse and choose High Performance instead of Power Saving.
For additional instructions on how to set a specific card to be the primary graphics card on Windows, consult the graphics card manufacturer's driver documentation.

(Windows) If the previous step does not resolve the issue, consider disabling the graphics cards.

If you're using more than one graphics card in Windows, your high-end card might not be set as the primary card. To disable the lesser of the two cards, use the Device Manager on Windows. In the Device Manager, right-click the card's name and choose Disable.

Disable graphic card
Disabling a graphics card
Do not use Lightroom Classic on a virtual machine (VM).

Running Lightroom Classic under virtual machines (VMs) is not tested extensively nor officially supported because of known issues with features that rely on the graphics processor in VM environments.

After performing the troubleshooting steps above, you can confirm the results by enabling the Use Graphics Processor option in Preferences.

If none of the troubleshooting steps above solve the issue, your last option is to purchase a compatible graphics card, or completely disable the graphics processor using the following steps:

Launch Lightroom Classic.
Navigate to one of the following:
(macOS) Lightroom Classic > Preferences > Performance
(Windows) Edit > Preferences > Performance
Do one of the following:
Lightroom Classic (version 8.4)
From the Use Graphics Processor drop-down menu, select Off.
Lightroom Classic (version 8.3 and earlier)
Deselect Use Graphics Processor
Quit and relaunch Lightroom Classic.

Lastly: Can't replicate on my Mac/GPU. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines