• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Z7 Lens Correction Profile Failure

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom Classic 8.3.1 and Camera Raw 11.3. My computer is a 2017 MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave 10.14.5. The camera is a Nikon Z7 using the 24-70/4 S lens. The images are all RAW using lossless compression.

On Import I use a preset. The only checked items are Treatment & Profile, all Lens Corrections options, and Process Version.

If I Import Copy to DNG lens correction fails every time. I see the warning " Unable to locate a matching profile automatically" in the Develop Lens Correction box. And, this is odd, If I Import Copy to DNG and then Import Copy, lens correction fails. But, If I do the Import Copy a second time, lens correction works.

When I use Import Copy with the preset, everything works OK. I can then convert to DNG later and the lens correction is in the DNG file. That's my workaround.

Is it me or is it a Lightroom bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On newer mirrorless. (at least) cameras, using the lenses designed for them by the mfg, their is no automatic lens correction other than remove chromatic aberration in Lightroom. Corrections occur in camera. In Lightroom, in the Lens Correction panel, you should see “Built-in lens profile applied”.  If you click on “Enable Profile Corrections” the lens profile make will show up as Built-in. And nothing else will occur. If you look for a copy of la lens profile you will not find one.

This is by design

Nikon Z7 and Baked in Lens Profiles

If your preset did or did or did not work, all it would have accomplished is remove chromatic aberration, nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Reply does NOT answer the question. Lr fails if I use Import Copy to DNG and does not fail if I use Import Copy. I believe this is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That you get different behavior does sound like a bug. Can you upload the preset to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here?  You can find the preset's .xmp file by right-clicking it in the Presets panel and doing Show In Finder / Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Preset is in the Dropbox folder at

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0ff1h5u2go5yu2u/AAAgYTlgrjOKoYaZp2Opue5ha?dl=0

Thanks, Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are tripping over a bug in the user interface, but it's not actually affecting the image.

First, as David observed previously, Nikon and Adobe have jointly decided that, like most mirrorless cameras, the lens profile is embedded in the raw file ("built-in") and will always be applied automatically by LR. There's no way in LR to disable that -- checking or unchecking Enable Profile Corrections has no effect on it.  See this help article: Work with lens profiles in Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and Camera Raw

So there's no need for your preset to check Enable Profile Corrections.  And checking that option could be causing the spurious display of the message "Unable to locate a matching profile automatically" when you do Copy As DNG.

Gory details:

When I import a Z 7 .nef, applying your preset with the import option Copy As DNG, and then I go to Develop with one of the imported DNGs, I see the message "Unable to locate a matching profile automatically" appear, and then anywhere from a fraction of a second to a couple seconds later, I see it replaced by "Built-in Lens Profile applied".  When I do a simple Copy or Add, I don't see "Unable to locate" appear initially, but it can still take up to a second or two for "Built-in Lens Profile applied" to appear.

But some other users have reported that "Built-in Lens Profile applied" doesn't appear at all until they build 1:1 previews or zoom in to 1:1 on the photo.  A couple of users have reported that resetting preferences corrects this.  But in these cases, the built-in lens profile was actually getting applied -- it's just that the message isn't appearing for some people.

If you're skeptical, you can prove to yourself the built-in lens profile is getting applied by exporting a TIFF when "Unable to locate" appears and comparing it to exporting a TIFF when "Built-in Lens Profile applied" appears.

See this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightoom: "Built-in Lens Profile applied" doesn't appear for Nikon Z lenses | Photoshop Family Custo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

what about on jpegs? when i apply a preset that has lens profile in it it is also coming up as none for the make, model and lens. but if I select Nikon it will bring up the lens, in this case 14-24 2.8G. It does look like is correcting some vignetting but I can tell if it's fixing barrel or other types of distortion. Is the camera applying lens correction on jpegs and I shouldnt be adding one? thanks in advance

-Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines