Z9 import unexpectedly slow

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed a problem when importing Nikon Z9 RAW files into Lightroom. Importing directly from a CFExpress Type B card is much slower than expected. 

To illustrate that this is not a problem with file size, I also shoot with a D850 (identical resolution) and have used it for years with no issue. Furthermore, I use a compressed RAW with the Z9, so the files are significantly smaller than what I'm used to (approximately 33MB/each vs 66MB/each).

To further illustrate that it seems to be a problem with Lightroom Classic's import, I've found a (pain-in-the-butt) workaround that completely negates the slow speed. If I drag the files straight from my card into a folder created for an event, then use Import->Add, Lightroom is extremely fast. The issue only arises when importing directly via Lightroom.

When using my workaround, a moderately full card (say 32GB of files) can be transferred and added to my LR catalog in approximately 4-5 minutes. This includes moving the files off the card into the new folder. When I attempt to do the same using the normal method of importing directly into LR, the process takes between one and two hours.

macOS 11.6.1

27" iMac Retina Late-2015

LR Classic 11.2

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you directly connecting the camera to the computer or are you using a card reader?

(Using a card reader is the recommended method.)

Import-Add does not tranfer any files, so it is always fast.

What kind of timing do you get if you 

- copy the files to a temp folder on your HD using Finder

- do an Import-Copy from the temp folder

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a card reader. It's fast when transferring files manually. About 4 minutes for 32GB of photos.

I'm attempting the method you suggested (copy files to a temp folder on my internal SSD and import/copy from there). It's about twice as slow as moving files manually and import-add, but an order of magnitude faster than importing directly from the card. I'm baffled as to what that might suggest. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch that; it's taking about 12-15 minutes to import-copy from the temp folder on my hard drive.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And I'm still unsure why it takes 2-3 times longer to do this manually than to allow LR to import. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines