2nd Copy Management

4 Votes
Participant ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On import I always use the 2nd copy feature.  With the high burst rates of new cameras, the 2nd copies folder gets real big real quick. Every so often I clean it out of old 2nd copies.  I also create 1:1 previews.  I love the feature that deletes 1:1 previews older than 30 days or whatever.  It makes life easier.  Couldn't we have a similar feature for 2nd copies to automatically clean them out after a set time?

Idea No status
TOPICS
Cross-app workflows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my 0.02

IMHO, the second copy function is useless as is. A copy of all imported images in a single, flat folder?!?

I much prefer and recommend a periodic backup of the picture folders.

OT: What I would like to see is a management with max age or alike for the catalog backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstand.  A 2nd copy is meant only as a temporary backup of your imported images in case you need to recover some that you have culled.  I format the memory card before every shoot so whatever is culled from the shoot before is gone unless I have the 2nd copy.  A normal backup of images would not help.
Any images in the 2nd copy folder that I haven't had need to recover after about a month, I figure I'll never need, so I delete them.  I'm just saying that it would be nice for this to be automatic, just like 1:1 previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget to add your own vote to your idea, the forum software doesn't automatically do that.

I've added my own vote, as I agree it would be useful, though I would prefer that the user could set the length of time the 2nd copies are kept before automatic deletion, rather than Adobe pick an arbitrary time period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice.  I didn't know.  However, I think it's too late for me to vote for my suggestion.  The upvote button on my original suggestion is greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe the upvote is available for other users to offer support, as the author there is no need for you to upvote. Just my opinion.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.6.8,; LrC 11.4.1, Lr 5.4.1, Ps 23.3.2-ACR 14.4,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate