• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add support for Google Pixel depth maps

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As discussed in this thread, depth maps from Google Pixel phones (at least 4a models) are not supported, and seem to increase the size of the catalog in an unexpected manner (over 1MB per picture). It would be nice to add support for Google Pixel depth maps and store them in a more efficient way.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 Comment
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From the other thread:

With those sample pics, I observed similar increases in catalog size: 1.51 MB / photo was added to the .lrcat file, a 27% overhead in total disk space used by .jpgs. For comparison, importing regular JPEGs adds about 5 - 8K per photo to the catalog.

Poking around, the increase comes from the XMP metadata added by the camera that LR stores in the catalog in its entirety.  Almost all the bytes of that metadata are consumed by two encoded JPEGs:

- a 2688 x 2016 full-color reduced-resolution preview of the full image (about 1.3 MB)

- a  JPEG 2688 x 2016 monochrome JPEG that is the actual depth map (about 0.23 MB, see below).

I don't know why the full-color preview is included in that Google metadata.  I skimmed Google's developer docs and other random posts about Pixel depth data and couldn't learn anything.  The actual depth map is relatively small, about 0.23 MB. 

Maybe if Adobe decides to support Google depth maps, LR would then store the Pixel metadata more efficiently.

johnrellis_0-1643908140462.png

Votes

Translate

Translate