• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Auto locate moved files in library

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My idea is for some sort of an addition to the software that would allow me to not have to keep updating the location of moved files in my library so that I can continually work on them seamlessly. Here is an example of my workflow and presumably that of others:

I am a photographer. For each photo shoot I do I have a directory with the models name and the date of that shoot. Within that director I have several other directories, RAW (to hold the raw files) JPEG (if I also shot in jpeg) EDITS (where the edited photos are stored) and VIDEO (should I have shot video, BTS, etc on this shoot). This never changes and keeps me organized.

When I shoot and begin the initial editing process I always work off of the high speed internal SSD or a high speed extrenal SSD should I have been shooting while travelling. The directory structure remains the same. Eventually I move these folders to larger and slower storage for archiving but frequently go back to do new edits etc. When doing so, Lightroom requires several steps to be pointed to the location of the new files and it slows things down and is in no way an obvious feature of the software.

Could there not be an auto-locator with known locations that could update this for me with easy accuracy 98% of the time? And when I add new drives with new capacities and drive names, I could just add it to the list of known locations. It seems like extremely simple file comparison and matching and would save a lot of time and make library management so much smoother.

Thank you for reading this. 

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what series of steps Lightroom requires in your workflow, but it sure sounds like you are making your life more difficult than it should be. All you need to do is go to the Lightroom folder panel and drag & drop the parent folder from the SSD to the archive drive.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are movung files outside of Lightroom? Just make sure everytime you move files do it from within Lightroom. Get used to using the lightroom folder panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay I figured out the issue. In each of my drives in the parent folder I had to right click and select show parent folder until it got back far enough to actually allow me to drag and drop files. Before, it was just a jumble of the exact folders I'd imported which I was unable to drag and drop between to maintain my normal directory structure. Thank you for point me at this, both of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate