• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to sync Smart Collections with Ecosystem Clients

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collection synching / Lightroom Mobile is a great addition to Lightroom 5.4. Please extend this functionality to Smart Collections as well.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

While you are waiting for Adobe to implement that suggestion, you could have a look at this plug-in from Jeffrey Friedl: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smart-collection-sync

As Jeffrey himself admits, it's a bit kludgy....but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 342 Replies 342
342 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely with Geoffrey! Smart Collections are such a powerful tool to organize photos in LR, I have far more Smart Collections based on Keywords than regular manual collections. The inability for LR to sync Smart Collections is a disappointment and limits the value of LR Mobile for me. Please add this feature to a future release!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2014 Apr 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart collections AND folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah I also have lot of smart collections created, would love to see such a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would love to see such a feature, I've lot of smart collections in my catalog 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. This would absolutely be a good addition to Lightroom mobile. There are some complexities because of the dynamic nature of smart collections. If a smart collection includes pick flag as a criteria and you unflag an image on the ipad, would you want to be able to undo that choice and bring the image back to Lr mobile without returning to the desktop? If so, for how long?

Regards,
Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom, thank you for replying on this so quickly. When I realized smart collections were not included in this release of LR mobile, I assumed the reason must be due to the dynamic nature of the smart collection and the selection criteria used. In my opinion, for those of us that use smart collections, we know what selection criteria we used to create the collection. If we change the "flag" or other item which caused an image to appear in a smart collection in desktop LR, it immediately disappears from our smart collection which relied on a specific criteria. In LR mobile, I don't think it should be any different. If we change a pick flag in LR mobile and that was the criteria that we used as part of our smart collection, it should disappear from the collection in LR mobile near immediately just like it does on desktop LR. If we realize this as a mistake, we can always go back to LR desktop to re-pick an image if need be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option would be to give an update option for smart collection in mobile. Which means even though we change some parameters those affect the smart collection condition they won't change automatically until the user exclusively click update. This can cover situations where user changed any of such property by mistake.

It would be good to keep such option than immediately updating coz users might mainly use the mobile app when they are away from the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I'm basically with Doug on this. Changing a pick flag on a smart collection image and causing it to disappear from LR Mobile is not substantively different from deleting an image from a static collection. The net result is one less image in a collection with no way to add it back on Mobile.

A potential solution to this issue is to simply include a mobile-only folder or collection of the n most recently removed images. This folder would allow users to view and re-add any images that were deleted /removed by mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I'm with Geoffry and Doug. Don't let edge cases like the pick flag being used in the smart collection query prevent you from doing the 80% that is really useful to most people.

I really just want to be able to sync the smart collection to mobile so I can refine the photos. Most of the smart collections don't depend on criteria involving things like pick flags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just have a pop-up warning when the user tries to do something that would remove the photo from the collection? If they hit ok remove the photo, if they hit cancel don't make the change. It could be one of those don't show again warnings so it wouldn't be too annoying?

Also I was wondering why there isn't an option to just sync my whole library? Maybe this is planned for a future release. If this was possible it would be another way to fix the sync issues with smart collections as you could also go find the photo in the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with what has been said in favor of smart collection syncing. I would also add the suggestion to have the ability to undo changes. So, if a photo disappears from the collection due to a pick flag being changed, one could "undo last change" and the photo would reappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think syncing smart collections is a must, and was very dissapointed when this was not included. Currently I have 2 normal collections and 75 smart collections.

Regarding the editing of photos that results in photo being removed, I would really like to see an undo button (or shake to undo as is default on iOs). I don't think that there should be a time limit, but undo could be limited to 10 undos, and only for the current program session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably we can have a separate section to show photos being removed from the smart collection as a result of changes the user made and keep it there until the user confirms or clears.

The way I work should not cause me trouble even when it's immediately removed, since I create smart collection based on a collection, so if a photo is removed I can still find it in my collection.

Another work around would be to create a collection with all our photographs and flag it back if we accidentally unflagged them which removed it from smart collection. This way you do not have to go back to the desktop to add the picture back to smart collection.

Basically I would say, enable this feature for us, we will find work around how to make use of it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature Request for Lightroom Mobile: Sync to Smart Collections, or auto Sync new photos.

What would be great is if when I add photos to Lightroom, they can automatically be added to LR Mobile. Since LR Mobile will not sync a Smart Collection, there is no way to auto upload photos right to LR Mobile without some manual intervention.

In my case I want to shoot wirelessly from my camera to LR, using Auto-Import. Then have those photos go right to LR Mobile for review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Mobile allows the iPad version of Lightroom to sync with your desktop collections. However, the collections that can be synced are only static collections that you must manually create. Lightroom needs to be able to sync a Smart Collection with the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The little synchronize symbol does not appear next to smart collections. I guess it is possible to make a normal collection, synch that, then copy the entire smart collection every once in a whlle and paste the smart collection into the normal collection. I think that won't delete deleted photos though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I define my smart collections with keywords, not with simple flags or color codes. So a flag change on the iPad makes no difference to me. Likewise, should I add/delete keywords on iPad, I would want those changes to sync back to my computer. Best of all, it would be awesome if the photo would add itself to the proper collection based on keyword rules while still on the iPad. I use flags only to keep or discard photos, so I would absolutely want those to sync back and change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Smart Collections are not supported for syncing with LR mobile. Hopefully that will change, why not add your vote in this thread from the feedback site:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_should_be_able_to_sync_smart_collect...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My ideal workflow for Lightroom Mobile will be to come back from a full day of shooting, start importing on my desktop, then just have iPad in my hand and start reviewing images in "Previous Import" auto collection or "Today's Image" type smart collection. I usually review images promptly, so I don't really care if the contents of smart collection changes day to day and iPad's synced images change on day-to-day basis.

I also don't use flag. I use keywords and star rating for image categorization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh! This would be so awesome. I'm actually surprised that it isn't something that is already implemented. It's great to see that you guys are actually looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed that smart collections are essential. i was really looking forward to this, but so far i think Mosaic still has the better paradigm, where it syncs everything by folder and allows you to browse by folder, and then then adds the collections as well so you can browse by collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too was disappointed when I found that smart collections couldn't be synched to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Doug. I use pick flags and star ratings in almost all of my smart collections (and I only use smart collections).

I don't really agree with jovapo's comment "Why not just have a pop-up warning when the user tries to do something that would remove the photo from the collection? " because the point of me using pick flags and star ratings is to determine whether the image should be in this collection or graduate to another based on my selection. A 'confirm?' waring every time would be MUCH more annoying than the 1 in 100 times that I change a pick flag and want to get it back.

I think a single level of undo would solve this. I have never accidentally eliminated an image from a smart collection and then wanted it back 10 minutes later. For me, It is always an immediate "oops!" Undo solves that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Collections are an integral part of my Lightroom workflow. I use Smart Collections to identify what stage an image in my workflow.

Pretty please with a cherry on top support Smart Collections

Votes

Translate

Translate