• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add possibility to tag (metadata) a specific region of a picture

Engaged ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next step in assigning Keywords to a photo, is to be able to link a keyword to a sepcific region of the photo.
This would be useful in may situations.
ex: face tagging require that, but it could be used to describe different par of a photo, like peaks in a land scape photo, birds,...

That would be a really useful feature.
Some software already have it.
Regards

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Lightroom: add option to graphically mark images topic.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
17 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we would like a simple brush tool so we can mark photos or just details we want to modify (as we can do with films), the tool should be applied as a "layer" so we can hide it easily and would be great if we can even search photos by graphics and colors used to marks them.
----------
occipiter
----------

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[From the merged thread]

The Metadata Working Group, of which Adobe and Microsoft are members, has already defined a standard method for representing regions and metadata associated with those regions. In particular, keywords, map locations, and persons (as already defined by the standards) can be associated with regions. This all gets stored in XMP metadata, of course.

See "Guidelines for Handling Image Metadata, Version 2", section 5.9 for more details.

It would be great if LR supported that standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Here is my idea:
It would be great if we can have the posibility in the Module Library, while filtering our images, to "draw/write" over the images tha changes you would like to do later in the developed module. This will focus you on one task at each time and help you to do a quicker workflow.

Hope this helps. thanks bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request: Would like to have the ability to add and edit Image Region Metadata, per the Metadata Working Group's Guidelines for Handling Image Metadata, Version 2.0, November 2010. Useful not only for face tagging, but feature tagging as well as comments, to do notes for developing or using, etc.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
LIGHTROOM: Image Region Metadata support.

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Lightroom: Please add face recognition to Lightroom (ability to specify regio... topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that this request has already been implemented by Photo Supreme V2.
They are using it for object,face, pet,... tagging.
ANd they do it by the MWG standard among which Adobe is a memeber!

I really hope that when LR implements its face tagging feature they do not forget the region tagging stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious how the fabulous database and filters at www.shutterstock.com is established.
You can filter there millions of photos by multiple tags such as Chinese, men,aged 42 to 50, working in construction, with yellow hats.

Do they "tag " the millions of photos they receive every week, or do they parse the filter request and use AI on the raw database?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you asking for region metadata, I'd like to hear more about what you expect to be able to do with that information. I understand the use case for faces and to-do notes for developing, but if you draw a region and keyword it as 'dog', what problem would that solve for you (that isn't solved by adding a 'dog' keyword to the whole photo)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it's the ability for "tagging" faces (or rather annotating a photo) and specific objects to add details. I want to take an event photo and "tag" the people, like people do in social media programs. This would give me better cataloging abilities and would make it easier for me to tag one photo with then pass that on as a reference to an assistant so they can tag the rest of the people in the event photos.

I agree that in the case of "dog" you gain nothing from region specific tags/annotations than you do with just a keyword to the whole photo. But if there was a group of dogs, with region specific tags/annotations you could identify the specific breeds for future reference / smart collections, etc.

I am also a fan of the editing notes concept for annotations, and cataloging of large product shots. I believe there are uses for scientific related annotations where region specific keywords and annotations could be helpful. I'm sure if this feature is added there will be uses people will come up with that none of use have thought of.
(this has been on my wish list since LR2, would be great to see this make it to production)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Adobe let's plugins in on the ability to display graphics in different regions, both for region-specific metadata purposes and for things like auto-display of focus points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
First thank you for your interest in this feature: here are my thoughts:

First let's speak from a photograph point of view only:

-There is the obvious annotation usage
-Than comes the obvious classification usage - especially for faces
When you take the example of dog, you take the very situation where it does not bring much more than a simple keyword because every body can recognize a dog. But the feature is extremely useful in similar situation when you label a photo with multiple animals/objects that not every bodies know. For example I have many photos of the African bush where you can see up to 4 different breeds of antelopes. If I do not label them immediately after shooting, I have no idea which is which and I often end up on specialized forums asking for the name, same comes with insects,... And I think Walt gave a very good example with different dog breeds.
You may also label your dogs with their names (and in this case it is good if the region tag is of "pet" type)
finally there are other things to label in a photo, where even if you have only one object of that type photographed you might find it handy to know which is which: imagine a photo of a car engine where each visible piece is labelled. Personally I prefer labels to the keyword as the labels will clearly indicate which part of the photo correspond to which piece of the engine. With keywords only many people will quickly be lost.

-But I also think that implementing a region tagging feature goes along with implementing an intelligent zoom: When you review your photos in the development or library module, you usually either view the full photo or a zoomed area. With tagged region we could be able to review the tagged area only. this would mean that when I press "next" while viewing an area I may jump to the next tagged area of the same photo (ie : I may not be moving to the next photo as long as I have not gone through all of the areas)
This would allow me to scrutinize all the -dogs- of a photo more efficiently than today. This would be even more useful with automatic face/pet detection and would allow in this case to quickly eliminate all the photos where the faces/pets are not sharp enough for example.

From scientific, web designers,... point of view

-this allows to clearly identify an object,.. and share this easily. This allow new usage: for example you could label many part of you photos and then use these photos as a new kind of recaptcha : asking the user to select the region where you can see a dog :)

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just be happy if we had facial recognition. I do genealogy and have numerous family photos that I need to tag and it is an almost impossible task to tag them without computer help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2014 Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is an example of the use of region labels: it is a simple photo with only 2 things on the photo : grass and one grasshopper.
Here the simple keyword grasshopper, will not be enough because the grasshopper is mimetic and is almost invisible in the photo. So if I saw that keyword many years after taking the photo I may think I made a mistake and that the photo is just a worthless photo of grass that should go to the rubbish.

note that the original photo is much larger. the link provided here displays a cropped version of the photo to make it easy to spot the grasshopper.

The photo is here: http://insecterra.forumactif.com/t212...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julie--

I see the ability to tag specific regions as essential for marking up (and later finding) not only individual elements that are intentional in a photograph, but also errors or items of note that are too small to immediately notice. This is especially important for educational purposes (either formal, self-improvement, or collaborative)--I'd want to mark, for example, "error--reflection" or "remove--background object" or "example--chromatic aberration" with a label and region in an otherwise technically excellent image. (Another common use: Sometimes I'll reject an image, find it later, and vaguely recall that something was wrong with it but I can't remember exactly where or what it was.)

Ideally, the ability to search for labels would allow the user to have the regions displayed as a mask (with a specified level of transparency) and with the labels attached to each region as a callout (with a specified font and size). The images could then be displayed as a slideshow, exported, or just examined onscreen.

Hope this helps!

--Julian

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there are 2 issues here:
1) image region metadata- implement this immediately. Adobe decided on a standard in Nov 2010. It's useful for tagging people (Grampa, Grampa's brother Chuck), items (Grampa's childhood tricycle) and location information that isn't obvious from GPS data (the house Grampa grew up in). It's helpful for identifying people in large group photos (a picture of Grampa's high school senior class) or athletes in sports photos or species in wildlife photos, etc.

We as a society are taking, editing, sharing, archiving, whatever-ing photos at an astonishing rate. If we want all these pictures to be anything other than digital garbage to peers and future generations, we need to identify what we're taking pictures of in ways that our audience (family, friends, clients, students, historians, colleagues, etc) can use.

If I were Adobe, I wouldn't let an employee write code for any other feature until image region metadata was implemented. The standards and framework have been in place for years. Just do it.

2) facial recognition- the holy grail of image region metadata is, I'm sure, for it to intelligently tag itself with relevant information. I'm sure someone is saying "Users shouldn't have to manually identify Grampa, the software should just identify Grampa automatically." That's a great idea but it's an added bonus that makes image region metadata quicker and easier to apply. I'm sure Adobe is working on this and I'm sure they want it to be excellent but in the mean time PLEASE give me the ability to tag faces manually while you work on how to do it automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a great example of an image that would benefit from image region metadata. There are 2 players assisting the tackle and you can't clearly see the numbers on their jerseys or their faces. Image region metadata would allow you to tag each player for much simpler identification than a caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Glad that there is "people tags" in LRCC15 but I'm still hoping for the larger annotation capabilities listed here.

Votes

Translate

Translate