• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add Retina Display support (new Macbook Pro)

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple release a new Macbook Pro with Retina Display (2880x1800). Applications need to be optimize to support this resolution. More Mac computers will have this type of display in future and I'm suppose Windows computer too.

Please considerate to adapt Lightroom to this new display.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
60 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be great. Aperture looks absolutely amazing on this machine. Lightroom ... not so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile we can use the software called SetRes, it will set your OSX to use the maximum resolution of the screen directly. LR will look super small but very usable. http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki... (the second link)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love Lightroom and will love it more when it updates it to take advantage of Retina Displays

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update Lightroom otherwise I will have to start to use Aperture !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would love to see this done. I'm thinking of buying the retina MBP and am putting off both that and a purchase of LR4 until there's an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fun having to use Aperture after just making the switch to LR4 this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, is this really an official answer? ... "until we finish the work we don't know exactly how long it will take" ... ???
isn't that what companies have project managers for? Adobe is not able to analyze a problem with its software and then map out a project plan and set a deadline on when it will be addressed? if Adobe is not able to do that then I think the company has more problems than a couple of unhappy Lightroom users that don't have a retina version.

and you can't make statements about unannounced versions?? again ??? what? So Adobe can't make a statement that we will address this issue in the next update, or we are working on it. you can't make that kind of statement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've already said we're working on it. And we really can't make statements about unannounced versions -- so I can't tell you when it would arrive, even if I knew..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Please update soonn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Please Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, i'm moving to Aperture.. Lightroom on retina is only slightly usable in combination with SetResX, so the screen is set to 2880x1800, which makes the interface almost too small to use..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Aperture is not as good. I had to give it a try but still... The biggest issue I have with LR + SetResX is that it is quite slow. When you use it a the "Retina" resolution it is much faster to work with. Let's hope for a new release or even a beta. We need something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2012 Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

slideshow does not handle the MBP Retina full res...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got my MBPr (amazing machine) and I was surprised to discover that Lightroom DOES support the retina display, but only in Library. The previews look amazing when you make sure to have large enough standard previews.This was quite surprising indeed but a pleasant surprise. In Develop you get the lower resolution unfortunately but I am sure that will get fixed.
Screenshots here to prove it: http://lagemaat.blogspot.com/2012/08/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao. To my eye on the MBPr Lightroom's Library mode VS Develop mode produce identical (unacceptable) image quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry, did you look at my screenshots? The Library preview is clearly at the retina resolution and much better than the Develop preview. The develop preview is at low resolution but is still identical to what I see on a standard Mac Book with a 1440x900 pixel display, so definitely not optimal but still workable as I worked at such a resolution for ages. The library previews are as good as what I see in Aperture which we know does retina resolution. I am as surprised by this as you.

I am on a MBPr with 16GB RAM and running Mountain Lion (free update downloadable from the App Store using the Mac Up-to-date program that apple offers). I didn't try on Lion but it is possible that you need ML. I also have my standard previews set for the largest size offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same thing. Unfortunately, the problem persists in LR 4.2 RC.
Adobe, please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same thing. Perfect in library mode. Missing the extra pixels in develop mode.
Unfortunately, the problem persists in LR 4.2 RC.
Adobe, please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo, Adobe.
You've become a lazy bunch of suits apparently. Small indie devs have updated far more complex software in a week or so.
Just do it. It's not that hard.
The retina display is every photographer's wet dream, so if you don't jump on board, you can expect to see a lot of us switching to Aperture.
MOVE YOUR A$$! It's been months!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe better stop disappointing so much and start innovating again (if they ever did)
It's not like they are still the only ones in the market, theirs lots of very good alternative to adobe's software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, no, indie developers don't have anything near as complex as Lightroom or Photoshop. And it's not all that easy since even the latest Apple scalable UI APIs have bugs that have to be worked around.

These things do take time, but would appear quicker to the user if Apple worked with developers ahead of time.

We've already announced that it is being worked on, and will arrive as soon as the work is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, i would like to know what Indie software is far more complex than Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say, Lightroom seems to keep getting better and better on my rmbp. I already moved back from Aperture to Lightroom. Thank god, what a piece of crap software that was..

Votes

Translate

Translate