• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow facial recognition feature to re-index a folder/collection

Mentor ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently it is not possible to invoke a re-indexing of facial recognition data at either the global or folder/collection level. For my purposes re-indexing at the folder and collection level would be sufficient.

Reason: when a face is removed from a previously indexed image it is not possible to automatically recognize faces other than reviewing many images and manually applying a face region.

See this forum discussion: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7472...

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018
Lightroom 7.3 is now available https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-classic-7-3-is-now-available

This version of Lightroom contains a much improved face engine and the ability to re-index photos for faces. See 
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/face-recognition.html#find-faces-again for details.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
110 Comments
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe the actual tools/menus you used to do this? 
I can't see how to flip multiple selections,or "run face recognition".
Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(1) You select the folder or group of pictures you want to scan by simply clicking on them
(2) In menu "Photos" you click "Flip horizontal"
(3) You select the "box with face" on the lower bar (this will start looking for faces, where you confirm the names, rename or discard
(4) (when done) in menu "Photos" you click "Flip horizontal" again, et voilà...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature request has been around 2 years and Adobe hasn't yet added such basic control?! REALLY?

I imported 100K photos and Lightroom CC crashed half way through the face recognition. Now I can't get it to re-scan the the appropriate folders to fix this.  Vary frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they don't stand out for listening to the customers and caring about even such simple things. 
Try me solution posted two months ago with the "flip horizontal" approach. I was able to solve it all. Also would suggest not to do all 100k in one go, but break it down by one folder or group of folders at the time? Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Face Recognition cannot be reset for removed photos from Face Recognition list. Please add Reindex Face Recognition command to the menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please implement this feature.  It's been a long time coming.  It's time.

I accidentally removed a large set of face regions (an entire person) when trying to clean things up (because there are so many poor matches in face recognition).  Because my mouse clicks / keyboard commands were lagging behind by 15-30 seconds depending on what I was doing (I have a lot of pictures but clearly Lightroom has performance issues), I apparently removed a "person" that I REALLY want back.  This particular person (the face regions identified for this person) was found around 8000 times in my photos (that I spent hours assigning and correcting the face assignments) and now it shows 35.  I clearly multi-selected a huge amount of face regions that I shouldn't have (again, LR was processing my commands with a 15-30 second lag time).  I want to undo this (but I'm not sure how it happened and it is no longer in my undo queue.

PLEASE ADOBE...  I WANT TO RESCAN A SET OF FOLDERS TO GET THIS PERSON BACK!!!  THERE IS NO WAY I AM DRAWING 8000 FACE REGIONS MANUALLY.  That's really not a "workaround".

Adobe - I get it.  I screwed up.  But Lightroom isn't really making it easy for me and I can't seem to fix this.  

Can someone from the Lightroom team simply reply to this thread so everyone isn't left in the dark feeling like we are being completely ignored?  Just a bit of customer service would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly adobe has the worst facial recognition in the industry. Amazon, Apple, google, all figured it out. I think Adobe developers have been lagging behind for quite some time and the more features others implement the more we see their lacking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi staylor, I had the same issue with the lagging and even the crashing on a fully updated high-powered Mac....
My solution was to select all photos (ok do by folder if you have several thousand like me), flip all horizontal. run the face recognition, assign the faces and then flip it back. 
Was able to regain a few thousand like that but not sure it's all of them....at least something. 
Normally Adobe should get their act together (this has been pending for years) and simply modify the function to
(a) Keep the assigned faces
(b) reopen all the unassigned ones.
Should not be too difficult....if you care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe actually read these forums? We're now 2 years out and facial recognition in Lightroom is still crap. Meanwhile, Google previously in Picasa and now in Google Photos has facial recognition that could cause the CIA to increase their budget for Kleenex. Even Facebook has decent facial recognition. The truly sad thing is that both of these are free-to-user products.

Come on Adobe, you can do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want Lua plugin interfaces for face recognition because already people in my photos named as caption.
If Lightroom could use this database, makes large efficiencies at face recognition for future shoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just imported 6000 family photos and ran facial recognition on them. Now I find I have to go back and make sure that all the photos are properly tagged. About 25% are not tagged properly. I really wish I could re-scan instead of going through them one-by-one to make sure they're tagged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried the flip photo suggestion in Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 without success (first tried horizontal flip and then vertical flip when horizontal failed) but neither worked.
Whats the point of Adobe putting automatic facial recognition as an option in a program when you can't rerun it on a set of photos?
Adobe seems to be recommending that we all get RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) by manually selecting each photo and individually tagging them 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an update on this?  I haven't seen anyone from Adobe chime in on this thread as I have on many, many others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to bring this "idea" post to folks attention as a few ideas how to improve the feature even futher than just a re-index command. 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/people-view-progress-bar-button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check out the next Lightroom update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean the "next" update?
Do you mean the latest update? Ot the one that hasn't been released yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "next", I meant the yet to be released Lr 7.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, hope it works. it would be about time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where should I be looking for the planned features of the next update?  Is there a website with this listed. 

Also Simon, I have a lot of men with facial hair changing over time and also a good number of African Americans in my photos. If you were interested, I would love to talk about the handling of these images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 7.3 is now available https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-classic-7-3-is-now-available

This version of Lightroom contains a much improved face engine and the ability to re-index photos for faces. See 
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/face-recognition.html#find-faces-again for details.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wahoo! I can't wait to try this tonight!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this does me no good whatsoever as I refuse to switch to the subscription version of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance of adding this to Lightroom CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have images taken moments apart of a model who doesn't move that are not merging together.  There is something wrong with the algorithm to some extent.  The photos can be next to each other 2 seconds apart and not perceptively different and it won't recognize them as the same person

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The community has been requesting a rescan faces feature for 4 years now... Can someone please comment on the timeline for this functionality?

If you are a people view user and want this feature, please support this thread and the original one located here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-6-cc-allow-facial-recognition-featu...

Votes

Translate

Translate