• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Auto-tone analysis should apply post-crop, scanned photos a problem

Explorer ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom 4.0 (did not check the release candidates 1 or 2 for 4.1) auto-tone (apart from current issues) applies to the full image not post-crop. This is a problem with scanned photos (paper photos, not film) where the borders contribute significantly (and falsely) to the overall analysis for auto-tone. Large white borders (which you would hardly ever keep for a scanned photo) distract auto-tone function.

With the potential of a great auto-tone available in 4.1, I would like to crop the thousand strong photos, then apply auto-tone to fix them up as best it can before manually reviewing/adjusting each one.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
28 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe finally agreed with you all (well, most of you): The new Auto Tone in LR 7.1 is based on the cropped region, not the entire image: 
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html#LightroomClassicCCv71December2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typical  - another example of a 'too late is as good as never' fix from Adobe.

I cannot see the benefits of paying more than my mobile phone contract to access Lightroom bundled with software for which I have no use i.e. Photoshop. So as I bid farewell to Lightroom - as a long term desktop user - I won't be able to take advantage of this long overdue update to Autotone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'll look forward to testing it out. I used to really want this, but I've come to realize the auto adjustments are so bad I would rarely use them. Maybe they'll improve by not using discarded information or maybe auto tone is just too hard to get right for my scenarios.

Votes

Translate

Translate