Ability to browse the presets and see its effects with the up and down keys

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
43 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow customizable functions/hotkeys for presets. That would speed up workflow so much. Having to mouse across a huge screen takes a lot of time. And even being able to arrow in between them would be cool. I want to assign to function keys like you can actions in Photoshop! imagine being able to use your keyboard or shuttle to apply your custom presets. If lightroom is about workflow this is one of its major flaws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this request is for native Lr functionality, but in the mean time: I think the Paddy plugin supports this, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I was thinking native LR function, and I just looked into paddy and I am on a mac, so I am going to try Knobroom. It seems like such an easy way to add so more functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm. looks like knobroom is only for a midi controller. Trying not to spend more money. Any other suggestions for freeware/plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you not use Mac's built-in features - I've forgotten how to call them at the moment, but maybe you don't need anything extra (?).

Also, I think Keyboard Tamer will do it, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the built in only allows for menu options. and I dont think that there are any ways in the menu to apply presets. It would be nice if when you are creating a new preset, there were a box that allowed you to assign a keystroke for it. say F2 would apply my custom BW preset and so on. keyboard tamer is also only for menu options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer. I know of one really expensive plugin that will do it (and not much else), but don't remember it's name atm. Maybe Adobe will support plugins responding to keystrokes in Lr SDK 5, then I'll whip you up something... ;-}.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2015 Jan 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. As a workaround, though, you could use the Any Source plugin to quickly search develop presets and to preview them using the up- and down-cursor keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This functionality has been moved into the Any Preset plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that many people successively click on presets until they find one they like. This can have a nasty side effect, since LR doesn't automatically undo the previous preset before applying the current one. For example, if you click on a preset that sets exposure = +2, and then you click on another preset that doesn't change exposure, you'll be left with exposure = +2 (unless you hit undo after clicking on each preset).

This problem doesn't occur if you hover the mouse over the preset instead of clicking on it. But you only get to see the effect of the preset in the small navigator preview in the upper-left corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be absolutely FANTASTIC to be able to arrow through presets in lightroom and acr instead of having to use my mouse and click on every single one. Can't believe this hasn't been implemented yet. Would save me days...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. I'm using some VSCO presets and this doesn't seem to be the case. Regardless if I start off with the original file or jump from a modification by a previous preset, the changes in the develop panel are the same. Can you share your specific experience? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, the current lightroom doesn't appear to have the hover feature you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily prove this to yourself. Create a preset "Exposure" with just one setting, Exposure = +2. Create a second preset "Contrast" with just one setting, Contrast = +50. If you click Exposure and then Contrast, the photo will end up with Exposure = +2 and Contrast = +50, not with Exposure = 0 and Contrast = +50.

Many presets set some or all of the develop settings to their default values, so as you move from one to the next, you may not see the setting change (if it was originally set to the default value). You really can't tell which settings a preset will override without looking inside the preset's file to see which settings it contains (right-click it and do Show In Finder / Explorer, or use the Any Preset plugin).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this video for a demo of how hovering over a preset previews it in the navigator window: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What good does seeing a preview in the nav window do anyone? You can't get a sense of the preset at all, totally useless. Hope Adobe is listening. You should be able to: A) Arrow through presets without them stacking B) get a live preview of the selected preset in the main develop window (and all windows for that matter) C) Be able to flag presets in the history window in order to whittle down the ones that work best for a specific image D) Shift select presets in order to reorganize them more efficiently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed with all of that. My Any Preset plugin provides solutions for A, B, C, but necessarily not as smoothly as if the functionality were built-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to request a feature to be able to cycle through custom presets within the develop module in Photoshop Lightroom. Seeing the preset applied to the full image gives a much better indication of a preset being the one I want, especially when they are sometimes subtly different. Clicking on each one is a pain and having to look away from the image to click on the next preset means you miss the finer changes within the image. Being able to click on one and then use the arrow keys or another key to cycle up and down through the list would solve this and be a great improvement to your product. This behaviour could also be used in other panels to create continuity within your product, for example being able to cycle up or down through an images history, meaning you can keep your eyes on the image and make better decisions on precise changes.

This could even be a behaviour activated within the preferences and not default to keep things simple for new users

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They update Lightroom AGAIN. I don't understand how this is not a feature yet. Plus the navigator window is too small to see the subtle color changes needed to view the effect of certain presets with the whole Mouse Hover. Then imagine having 60+ presets, even hundreds for certain people. Try mouse hovering over each preset and not missing any or missing the subtle differences.

Please change the "Mouse Over Click" to Up/Down Arrow Click to view the applied preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had more then 1000 preset in library module. Are there any quick way to access the preset for preview ? When I want to preveiw each preset to a image I must choose it one by one and scrolling it. it would be great if adode able to make it easy like adding Next button so we able to preview all of preset on a image by click the Next button. Each time click the Next button, the preset would changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to propose an enhancement request to Lightroom Classic specifically but ideally for all of the Lightroom products.

I have a couple of hundred presets in LR.  Ideally, I'd like to have the ability to scroll through the presets and have the image displayed as if the preset were applied.  It could work similar to how the you can scroll through the blending modes in Photoshop.

I know that you can hover the mouse over a preset and it will show you the image with the preset applied.  This is a poor workaround, particularly if you have more presets than can be displayed in a single panel.

Thank you for your consideration

jackie k.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the suggestion. I would like to understand your use case. For a single image you scroll through or preview each preset one by one over 100s of preset list. When you say scroll, are you referring to using mouse scroll wheel? 

Thanks,
Ganesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to expand on this idea by being a little more specific.  I would like to be able to scroll through the presets using the cursor keys (up and down).  

Using the mouse to do it works, but requires a little more dexterity and attention so that you don't inadvertently skip one because you've rolled the mouse too far.  As a result, you have to keep shifting your eyes between the preset list and the photo.  If the cursor (arrow) keys are used, you can keep your eyes on the image and be confident you haven't skipped over one while scrolling.

Thanks.

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that we need this ability. Now I have to hover the mouse cursor over them and move my eyes back and forth between the preset list and the main window. When scrolling through a big number of presets this is pretty cumbersome and tiring. With a keyboard shortcut I could concentrate only at the main window while scrolling, and this would be much more comfortable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you select a profile, it's applied, and selecting a different profile might not overwrite all of the changes from the previous preset because they can include different sliders. So how would you envisage this working?

Votes

Translate

Translate