• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add PSB as a file format for external editing

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that LR 9.2 supports importing PSB files, it would be a little more convenient if you could specify PSB as the default format for editing in Photoshop (Preferences > External Editing > Edit In Adobe Photoshop > File Format). 

As it stands now, if you want to save an edited file in PSB format, you must remember to do File > Save As and select Large Document Format.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
25 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very much agree with this!  When I saw the release notes that PSB files are supported I was shocked to see that it isn't an option to use that format for external editing in Photoshop.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your valuable input John. Will pass this on to the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or ask Adobe to remove any need for PSB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that PSB is supported it's time to add it to the External Editing options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may well support PSB but you try importing them a modest 4.5 gb comes back with a too big error message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Support for PSB is currently limited to files whose long edge does not exceed 65K pixels or the entire image is less than 512 Megapixels and it must be saved in Max Compatibility. Photoshop is capable of exceeding these values. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so whats the point of that

we need more 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sufficient for the vast majority of the small minority who are forced to save as PSB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Adobe needs to spend valuable development time to support files greater than 65K pixels or 512MP in Lightroom.   I am sure the percent of people that need this is very close to zero.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two general use-cases for needing to use PSBs:

- Starting with a high-resolution image, well under LR's pixel limits, and adding many layers in Photoshop to implement a non-destructive workflow. 

- Starting with a ultra-high-resolution image exceeding LR's pixel limits, produced by a panorama merge or a specialized (very expensive) camera.

I believe that the great majority of LR users of PSBs fall into the first camp.  My belief is based on monitoring this forum and the community forum for a decade and on feedback from customers of my PSB Quick Look plugin for Mac OS.

A typical example of the first use case: The retouchers in an ad agency start with a full-frame DSLR photo of a running shoe and, responding to requests from their art director, end up with more than two dozen layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're right about the two groups, but very few people ever set out to create PSBs - they do so only when they can no longer save their work normally. If you need PSB, you just choose it in Photoshop's save dialog and wouldn't need or anticipate making such a choice in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree.  With ultra high resolution cameras like the GFX 100 and the desire to composite 16 bit images in Photoshop I routinely run into the 4GB file limit of TIFF files. A side benefit is uncompressed PSBs, although can get huge actually save to disk much faster than compressed TIFFs so they always would be my preferred choice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "side benefit" being that compression takes longer than saving uncompressed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, I think you misread. The side benefit is the uncompressed PSBs save much faster than compressed TIFFs on any large file sizes, not just ones approaching 4GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to compare uncompressed PSB against uncompressed TIF, Matt. I doubt you'll see any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the point being made is that you cannot use tiff above 4gb so you either need to compress the file of save as psb and the psb saves and opens quicker than a compressed tiff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I work with a lot of layers from my 24MP camera or (fewer layers) from my 45MP camera in Photoshop, Photoshop often tells me to save the file in PSB and I have to manually navigate to the working forlder and put "-Edit" in the name myself.

It's not much but would be great if I were to given an option to default the file type to PSB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click Cancel when it asks you to save as PSB and instead do File > Save As, it will select the right folder for you. But you'll still have to add -Edit manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hitting cancel and trying to save again to move save folder location to the OG file location does not work for me

OS12.6.3 Photoshop24.2.0 LRC12.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, when selecting "Edit In...Photoshop" from Lightroom Classic there is the option to open the raw image in Photoshop as either a PSD or TIFF. If the edits and layers created in Photoshop result in a file larger than 2 or 4 GB, it must be saved as a PSB (Large Format file). Unfortunately, this requires utilizing the Save As dialog in Photoshop and manually navigating to the folder where the other images in the set are stored, creating potential issues due to human error and costing unnecessary time. Similarly, when opening a previously edited TIFF from Lightroom Classic into Photoshop, and making changes that result in the need for a PSB file, the resulting file does not automatically import into Lightroom, requiring a manual import operation. Apart from compatibility with older software versions, there doesn't seem to be any good reason why images shouldn't be converted immediately to PSB when opening raws from Lightroom, if a user knows they routinely work with large files and expect the edited file size to exceed the lower limits of other formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is long overdue. Same with export.

Some of us are now at a point where it would make much more sense to use PSB consistently and routinely. We keep bumping into the file size ceiling constantly. There is still no preference in Photoshop to set PSB as default instead of PSD, so having PSB straight out of Lightroom would go a long way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/saving-as-tif-how-to-set-default-as-z...

I too am running into this issue with PSB being ideal container for edited photographs with many layers exceeding 4GB. 

I am also running into the issue of Photoshop not saving to the original folder from which LrC sent the image from, and requiring far too many user intervention and impedes workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Support this too, PSB files would help me a lot.

My situation: Compression during saving is incredibly slow, but with today's SSD speeds it is much faster to just work with uncompressed files. However it takes just a few layers to exceed PSD file size limit.

Exporting directly to PSB would solve this (faster compression would partially solve it too 🙂 )

Votes

Translate

Translate