• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add the possibility to disable full image preset preview

LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest update, full image preview has been added when hovering presets.
While this is fantastic and really useful most of the time, when handling large files like stitched panoramas, my computer crawls to a stop as my 7700K is maxed out for each preset.
Could it be possible to disable that in the settings for such case ?
Thanks

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018
Lightroom Classic CC 7.4, released today, now allows you disable this feature in the Preferences.  Download it and flip the switch!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018
Thanks for the input, if there are some in this group that are hit particularly hard by the current behavior and would like to be part of a small limited-time test group to look at proposed behavior changes, send me a message with your Adobe ID to f l o h r at adobe.com. (but remove the spaces)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018
We are currently looking into options that will satisfy both users who need to preview preset application in Loupe view, and those who need to disable it. The existing feature request has been around quite a while to turn this on but it is obvious further tweaking of the implementation is needed. 

To flesh this out a bit: We have a size-able group of users who like this new behavior as well as a large group for whom this is a workflow disruption. How would you prefer to see the disabling of this ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 134 Replies 134
134 Comments
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk

I'd say OFF by default, but I'm really so desperate for this to happen that I'd vote for a 'which ever is quicker for the dev team to roll out' option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk I prefer with a key held down. This allows users who have the slow preset preview issue to navigate to a specific preset and then hold down a key to preview it. A small delay reviewing specific presets should be more tolerable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just create an eye-symbol next to the plus-symbol in presetpanel to activate or deactivate the big preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m fine with on-by-default, as long as we can turn it off. A simple check box in preferences would be fine.

That said, I really like the idea of having an icon toggle at the top of the preset list next to the plus symbol. I’m sure it would be nice to use this occasionally, and a toggle would make that easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we allowed to ask "when" the change will be implemented? There were some nice changes in 7.3 that I would like to begin using, but not at the expense of efficiency to my existing workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are allowed to ask it, but you won't get an answer. Adobe never talks about future developments, so as always: people who know can't tell you, people who don't know will only speculate.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
This is actually the definition of insanity, nonetheless true to this cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im amazed but not surprised this has been implemented without a disable button.. Adobe have recently gone 2 steps forward with well overdue speed and performance increases but now with this preset preview gone back a step.. every time my mouse accidentally hovers over a preset whilst editing I have to wait while it un-previews.. please dear god give us a disable button.. Even though I would almost never use this function I would occasionally but for every day use this must be disabled. I do funnily enough believe it should be on by default so users get to experience the function but please make the disable button glaringly obvious. I do have a caveat however.. only make it on by default IF and only IF, when you disable it, it is disabled for all future catalogues. I create new catalogues for each shoot every time and this would drive me nuts having to go into settings to disable for every shoot.. so on second thoughts, perhaps it should be disabled by default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input, if there are some in this group that are hit particularly hard by the current behavior and would like to be part of a small limited-time test group to look at proposed behavior changes, send me a message with your Adobe ID to f l o h r at adobe.com. (but remove the spaces)
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this has to be the most retarded feature Adobe has implemented in a while with no way to disable.. every single image I edit Lightroom struggles to render, it flashes back and forth thinking you're selecting presets when you're not, .. I have to pause and wait continuously before I can carry on editing, its test applying changes you dont want to apply.. please dear god give us a disable feature button whilst you sort this shit out.. 

Hey Rikk Flohr, as much as I want to please I dont have time to join a test group.. isnt the solution blatently obvious.. add a disable button and you please everyone instantly.. those who want are happy and those who dont are happy.. why drag this through a test group when we already know the outcome.. are you Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll tell you something else now too.. even when you do actually want to apply a preset, there is now a lag waiting for the preset to render.. please turn back the clock and rethink this one

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need there to be an off switch too! It's incredibly distracting 😐 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the action of the preset in the Navigator window in the upper left. That's enough to get the idea before replying. At the the very least provide an off switch and at the most just go back to the previous version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thoughts EXACTLY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I vote for an ON/OFF button that should be quickly accessible all the time. It's not only a problem with those users who want this feature on and those who don't like it. At some moments, e.g. when browsing through a large set  of presets, I don't want the live preview to be enabled. This makes the screen flashing. Once I have eventually landed in the right preset folder (or group ?), having this feature enabled will be useful.

A good location would be in the Presets panel title bar. However, this assumes that it is always visible. Which in turn assumes that scrolling occurs in the Presets panel only and not in the whole left tab. Otherwise, the panel title bar quickly disappears.

Another good choice would be the toolbar under the viewing area, beside the viewing and attribute options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange... On the desktop, AMD 8 Core, 16GB + Nvidia 1080, previews lag for almost 2 seconds. On the old much hammered laptop from waay back in 2012, quad i5, 8GB, intel gfx (unsupported for lightroom) the previews are silky smooth and virtually instant. Compiled and optimised for intel chips / intel only features used per chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, when Adobe released first improved 7.x version they said that they worked with Intel on optimizing multi-threading in LR. There's also Intel Thread Building Blocks  (TBB) library dll in the main LR folder. So yeah, it looks like it may better optimized for Intel, which is sad, considering how good Ryzen/Threadripper platforms are. This is the last thing that keeps me from upgrading current i7-3770 setup to the new Ryzen 2000 platform instead of Intel's last-gen offering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, when they released first improved 7.x version they said that they worked with Intel on optimizing multithreading in LR. There's also Intel Thread Building Blocks  (TBB) library dll in the main LR folder. So yeah, it looks like it's better optimized for Intel, which is sad, considering how good Ryzen/Threadripper platforms are. This is the last thing that keeps me from upgrading current i7-3770 setup to the new Ryzen 2000 platform instead of Intel's last-gen offering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off by default, otherwise new subscribers won't understand why their laptops are so slow, or spin the fans up due to the heat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer off by default, using the small window to preview presets as it was before.  That method was manageable.  If you set it to "on by default", you will certainly alienate any new subscribers who use laptops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like this new option IF.... my older Imac could keep up but it can't. So until I upgrade my work station I would like to turn this off. We should definitely have the option to disable it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With respect, I disagree with the automatic transformations of my main image even if the computer could instantly display the view. It is extremely disconcerting to have the main image changed without my asking just because I happened to move my mouse over some magical area. It is not Adobe's image to make a game with, it is my image and it should not be changed without my intent. It is enough to have a small preview area display the general effect when the mouse is over the preset button. If I decide it looks interesting, I could click on the button to apply it temporarily to the main image for a proper rendering. If I want to assign it, double-click. Or perhaps the single click assigns it in a permanent way and a little Undo button pops up on the preset button I just clicked as a way to remind me which preset I am considering. Anything along those lines would be fine, but don't mess with my main image just because I moved my mouse across the screen. Good grief, this should have been covered in User Interface 101.

Also, and obviously, holding down the Alt/Option key for temporary fullsize preview would be useful. And I guess a switch for people who want it on all the time. Sure. But don't be messing with my image just because I moved the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please NOT an option in settings. Would be able to activate/deactivate this feature by a toggle/button (above the presets for example) or activating it by a keystroke. Think this way, all people would be happier than going always into the setting dialog

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG PLEASE turn this off.  You have completely ruined my workflow and LR comes to a screeching halt when using presets.  AT LEAST make it a preference that you can enable or disable.  You're adobe.  You're supposed to be the best.  To not think of this is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short description: before and after. Before latest LR update presets previews was only in small navigator window. After latest update presets previews are also showing in big main develop window and this making one problem.

In general I like new update of
Lightroom Classic. Idea that when I put mouse over preset name I see not
only small but also big preview is good.

But generating big
preview for my big monitor takes too much time. I want to scroll mouse
over lots of presets and see fast previews. But right now I put mouse
and wait, then move and wait, and again. Finally I want to turn off this
big previews, I'm happy enough with fast previews in navigator, but I
can't do this.

Please make some checkbox in settings to turn it off. Or
make big previews faster generation. For example with some increasing
resolution algorithm. Like low details and very fast at first time, but
if mouse is staying at this preset then more resolution and more
detailed preview generation.

------------

And one special creative idea for presets. 🙂

I know that many photographers has lots of presets like several hundred. Sorting and previewing is still a problem. I want to ask Adobe to make some algorithm and tool finding similar presets. Like author entering some delta value and algorithm trying to find similar presets. Then delete or put in one group of similar presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate