• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please support HEVC (H.265) video support for Windows

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support for this video format is needed.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018
Greetings,

The Lightroom family of products was updated today and contains support for this feature for the Mac OS. Please download the new version and give it a try and let us know how it works.

Additional details can be found here; https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html

Windows OS received this functionality as of 9.3 - please see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new/2020-3.html#other-enhancements

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
135 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that this is still not done... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uploaded 3 videos taken by DJI Mavic 2 Pro to Dropbox: 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zqm8walmuahk7bc/AADAg5Amt8dV2eQbsNXf7w2xa?dl=0

• DLog-M.MOV -- HEVC -- DLog-M -- can't imported by Lightroom Classic
  • HLG.MOV -- HEVC -- HLG -- can't imported by Lightroom Classic
  • Rec.709.MOV -- HEVC -- maybe Rec.709 -- imported to Lightroom Classic sucessful
When importing DLog-M.MOV and HLG.MOV, Lightroom Clssic failed and reports "The video file appears to be corrupted or unrecognizable. It has no audio or video streams"

Please support DJI Mavic 2 videos, because it's becoming a significant tool for professional photographers. After a long wait, photographers are difficult to deal with large amount of video files.

Test environment: Lightroom 9.2.1 on macOS 10.15.4
Tested on June 7th, 2020, EVERYTING is updated to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic is about HEVC video support on LR Windows.  But Victor is asking for something different, support for other HEVC encodings used by DJI (DLog-M and HLG) that apparently don't work on either Mac or Windows.   I've seen other posts in the forums about DJI videos that wouldn't import, and perhaps they were encountering similar issues.

I'll fork this back as a new feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victor's feature request was merged into the request for HEVC support on Windows. But Victor is asking for something different, support for other HEVC encodings used by DJI (DLog-M and HLG) that apparently don't work on either Mac or Windows.

Please reference the new conversation here: Please support H.265 videos with DLog-M or HLG color for DJI videos

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rikk, what's taking so long?  Adobe added HEVC support for Mac over two years ago.  Loyal Adobe customers would like to stick with Lightroom instead of turning to products like ON1 and AseeDsee that aren't so fussy about what types of media can be imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not allowed to discuss release schedules but we are working on HEVC support for Windows in Lr Classic and we intend to get this in to customer hands very soon. HEVC is supported natively on Apple platforms which is why support on Mac was available sooner. Thank you for your patience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is coming up on two years since Adobe added H.265/HEVC support to Lightroom for Mac.  For Windows, nothing but crickets.

Even without having to directly address the H.254/HEVC issue, this is an opportunity for Adobe to boost Lightroom's power as a digital asset manager, and get in step with innovative programs like ACDSee and ON1.

All I require is a simple stub to represent H.265/HEVC digital assets in my LR catalog along side my photos, so I can add ratings, keywords, stacking, and such.  Heck, it would even be helpful to have a stub representing PDFs and DOCs and ZIPs that contain data or narratives connected with my photo shoots and projects.

The idea is keeping and organizing everything together.  Presently, I have tens of thousands of photos represented in Lightroom, but 100% of the H.265/HEVC videos are absent.  In practice, this is just plain awkward.

I don't need a sophisticated ability to edit videos or manipulate videos
in Lightroom - for that task, there is no substitute for a dedicated
video editing program like Premiere Pro.  So, Adobe, don't let compatibility or
licensing issues or technical hurdles continue to stymie the introduction of H.265/HEVC support in
Lightroom.

In summary, Adobe, please update Lightroom to include the ability to import digital assets of a variety of file formats (regardless of whether they are editable in Lightroom), so we can rate, keyword, stack, and manage these files along with the photos we already have in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waiting for this to be applied to Windows and Android versions of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem for me in 2022 after switching from gopro 5 to gopro 10, the videos are almost all under HEVC codec and Lightroom cannot play them.
They will therefore no longer be in our database, workflow and we may no longer see them. This needs to be corrected or an alternative to Lightroom found...

Yet Adobe says it supports HEVC files.
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html
and the videos https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/video-support-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, he's right.  Bought myself a Sony A7 IV a few weeks ago and recorded some video this morning with the hope of playing the files in Lightroom, but they're HEVC and Lightroom will not import them.  I tried downloading the codec from the Microsoft store, but that didn't work either.  

Votes

Translate

Translate