• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please support HEVC (H.265) video support for Windows

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support for this video format is needed.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018
Greetings,

The Lightroom family of products was updated today and contains support for this feature for the Mac OS. Please download the new version and give it a try and let us know how it works.

Additional details can be found here; https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html

Windows OS received this functionality as of 9.3 - please see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new/2020-3.html#other-enhancements

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
135 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see, thx for the info I thought support for it has already been added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the Adobe Lightroom development team could talk to the Adobe Media Encoder CC team? I have just installed the latter, as a test, and it seems to be more than capable at reading H.265 video files (recorded on my iPhone 8) and then encoding them to other formats. Surely this is just a case of the Lightroom team reusing a software object... come on Adobe, this can't be a huge development...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title mentions "Classic". Does that mean Lightroom CC does support HEVC already, or does the feature request include CC too or should we create a new post for adding HEVC to CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither CC nor Classic currently support HEVC video. I didn't find a similar feature request for CC, so I just modified the title and the topic's categories to include CC as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are aware of this limitation in the Lr Classic and Lr CC products and are working towards a solution in a future release. Thank you for your patience. 

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks Barry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When do you expect that future release or update to come out Barry? The import process from panasonic's HC-X1 4k camera with .MP4 file extensions also has the same issue. Sometimes you import serveral files and some files don't get imported and when they do some show the ! icon with the legend that says you wont be able to make adjustments. Now imagine importing a 256 gB card. It takes over 10 hours just to import when you import by batches with different folder locations and keyword tags.  Now that another topic... It would be nice to have the option of selecting groups of photos or videos and determining to which folder each group would go to and their respective keyword tags. That would save a lot of time rather than clicking import each time and waiting for thousands of photos to render minimally, then when the new photos option is selected it takes time for them to dissapear... I think that would be a plus too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not allowed to discuss release schedules but I will pass your feedback on to the team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I am mistaken this is still a problem almost a YEAR after Apple moved to HEVC video as the default.  The current correct answer seems to be to downgrade the video codec so as to "avoid the issue". Surely not a real solution to the problem. 

Barry I would appreciate seeing a timely update to fix this HEVC issue. 

I used to always recommend Lightroom to others looking to manage their photos, but now I will not. In reality it is a bundle of incoherent and incompatible software programs. For example keywords entered in CC will not sync to Classic - Why not?? Because Adobe can't or doesn't want to provide the functionality. So it is pointless using an iPad as part of workflow when traveling to categorize photos and have them seamlessly appear on the desktop.

It seems that Adobe is abondoning LightRoom Classic [software originally developed in close cooperation with real photographers] in favor of its CC software. The workflow in the cloud based software just does not suit this photographer and I suspect many others. I already pay the subscription but choose to use Classic because of the thousands of photos I have - all keyworded and cataloged. As I understand it if I move to CC all these keywords are lost!!

It is concerning that having been a loyal Lightroom user since its earliest days I may be forced to consider some alternative solution. With all the workarounds now imposed as a result of Adobe's failure to keep Lightroom Classic both up to date [see the above HEVC issue] AND consistent with CC [keywords not compatible between CC & Classic] it is no longer the sweet and elegant program which was a pleasure to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEVC support is coming soon. As I mentioned earlier, I cannot discuss release schedules. Please be patient. 

As for your other comments, you are absolutely correct that Lr CC and Lr Classic do not support the same level of syncing capabilities. Two primary differences are: 1) Classic does not upload originals, so what you get on the other devices are downsized proxies 2) Classic does not sync Keywords, in addition to other metadata.  

Lr Classic was built and architected ~10 years ago as the "Truth is on the desktop", whereas Lr CC was built from the ground up as a "truth in the cloud" application. This is why Lr CC can sync everything across devices as a native solution (there is one catalog that is managed in the cloud). In the case of Lr Classic, there are technical and design challenges to support the same level of syncing that Lr CC has today.

Lr Classic is not being abandoned (you can see this by the frequent releases that we still put out) but it is true that Lr Classic will not have the same fidelity in terms of syncing as the native sync solution provided by Lr CC. 

If a native syncing solution across devices is the primary need for customers, then Lr CC is definitely the recommend solution for this need. Migrating a catalog from Lr Classic to Lr CC is the way to go to enable this, and keywords will be migrated along with the rest of the metadata, original files, etc. 

I hope this helps. 

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barry,

I do appreciate your prompt response. I will look forward patiently for the HEVC support.

Thanks also for your explanation regarding the differences in syncing of Keywords between Lr CC and Lr Classic. 

It would be helpful if something could be added as a pop up warning in LR CC when [first] using Keywords warning that they will not sync with Lr Classic. It would have saved me [and judging from comments on the web, many others] significant hours spent in adding keywords. 

Are you able to point me to a place on the Adobe site where the main differences, particularly differences in functionality, between Lr Classic and Lr CC are explained?

Hopefully this would help me as I admit I am struggling to find a satisfactory and robust workflow from Lr CC to Lr Classic, particularly one that uses an iPad on the road as the primary device for collecting and doing the initial input on photos both from my cameras and iPhone. 

Having left my MacBook Pro at home this trip, it was a little frustrating to find that what I was seeing on my iPad [both in Videos and Keywords] did not reflect what was uploaded by the cloud to my Mac. 

Despite my current frustrations I do appreciate all the work that has gone into Lightroom over the years, and I hope that this current bump in my perception is soon gone, so I can go back to my once strong affection and support of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barry,

Thank you for your responses. I am also struggling with my workflow using LR CC. There are many struggles that I am facing, and haven't yet found the kind of information I need to be able to switch to LR CC.

1. I am struggling with the limited space that is available in LR CC. Due to the limited space I cannot move to LR CC completely. But I haven't yet found a methodology that works when mixing LR CC and LR Classic.
2. I have more than enough cloud space available already. Even if I was able to purchase more cloud space with Adobe, I am not ready to pay yet again for space that I already have available. Could it be possible to use my dropbox space or iCloud space instead of the Adobe cloud space?
3. I am not ready to give up control of having a (local) copy and backups of my images. Assuming I have enough space available in the Adobe cloud, how do I make sure I have at least a copy of the originals somewhere else?
4. Part of my workflow includes my iPhone. Is there a document somewhere that details the workflow of getting my iPhone images into LR CC, while also using LR Classic, and consequently getting a copy into LR Classic? Or is the idea from Adobe that you are either exclusive LR CC or exclusive LR Classic?

I look forward to your response and ideas.

Kind Regards,
Jean-Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> 3. I am not ready to give up control of having a (local) copy and backups of my images. Assuming I have enough space available in the Adobe cloud, how do I make sure I have at least a copy of the originals somewhere else?

In LRCC, you'd check the "store a copy of all originals locally" checkbox in Preferences, and you could use backup software to create additional disconnected backups of that originals folder too.

> 4. Part of my workflow includes my iPhone. Is there a document somewhere that details the workflow of getting my iPhone images into LR CC, while also using LR Classic, and consequently getting a copy into LR Classic? Or is the idea from Adobe that you are either exclusive LR CC or exclusive LR Classic?

I haven't come across any detailed Adobe documentation, but in case it helps, the Cloud Sync chapter of my LR Classic Missing FAQ book goes into the nitty gritty of getting the cloud to play nicely with Classic and the pitfalls to look out for. The mobile apps themselves are detailed in my LRCC Edit Like a Pro book, but you'll like get the gist of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Are you able to point me to a place on the Adobe site where the main differences, particularly differences in functionality, between Lr Classic and Lr CC are explained? 

clarijoh, not the Adobe site, but this might help (and Adobe have been linking to it)

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is interested, I can explain some of the technical underpinning with keywords.

Most image file formats have reserved space for metadata, which is data about the file (keywords, ratings, develop settings, copyright, and so on.) Some formats, like RAW files, typically have a linked sidecar file which goes with the image and contains that metadata.

A number of different "namespaces" are defined to store metadata, each with specific fields and formatting required. These namespaces can overlap so that metadata is often duplicated inside a file.

Keywords can be stored in the "DC" namespace with a "Subject" tag but also in the (apparently undocumented) "LR" namespace with a "hierarchicalSubject" tag.

Ideally, keywords would be saved to both namespaces in, say, a JPEG file. Most graphics software reads the DC namespace.

I've written some scripts for Bridge to assign keywords and I write keywords to both namespaces. I don't know how mobile apps or Lightroom CC operate but presumably, using both namespaces would mean that keywords were truly portable.

Note that metadata can be written to files AND/OR to a catalog like Lightroom uses. If files are not updated and changes are only written to a catalog, its up to the developers to export that data as needed.

If you run File Info on an image using Photoshop or Bridge and look at the Raw Data, you'll be able to see the structure of the metadata and what is present or not.

Finally, there are both third-party programs such as EXIFTool and add-ons for Adobe products that let you work in depth with metadata including keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and just to add- if you create copies of an image file with metadata, the developer decides what metadata (if any) to copy to the new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7.5 adds HEIC support according to release notes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please adobe it's almost 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering how any adobe employee with iPhones manage there videos?  Surely they must be frustrated as us!  

I'm not sure what could be the possible delay here....  Help us love your product!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting. No development at all?

For those of you who have needed to use your HECV iPhone videos asap, is there any alternative to importing with a different program, then converting to .mpg4 (or something like that), and then importing to Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Victoria. Both your posts help a lot. Now, all I need is a way to actually store all my images in LR CC. The 20 GB that we get is not nearly enough for all my images. I think I have to upgrade to a different plan, or add another application, if I want to get 100 GB of cloud space. I'm afraid that I am not willing to spend more money than I already am. I am curious how Adobe sees the space issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 6.14. My iPhone 8 is set to Settings/Photos/TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC=Automatic.

I can see thumbnails of videos and even import some photos, but videos do not import. Upon attempts to import, I get "Some import operations were not performed. Lightroom cannot read the video file. The codec needed to read it is missing or unavailable."

I have done several restarts and unplugs of the LR, the Mac, and iPhone. I still get the same result. How can I get these videos into LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the option Settings > Camera > Formats > Most Compatible. This will record new videos in the traditional MP4 format, allowing them to be imported into LR. These will have about the same quality as HEVC format but will be significantly larger.

For the existing videos, copy them to your hard drive. Then use the Quick Time Player's File > Export As to convert them to MP4 format. (Or use another utility like Hand Brake.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, John. That looks like my workaround for now. I'll just have to not use HEIC/HEIV. Any idea why the Automatic transfer option is not converting the files on output from iPhone/import to LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hooking Preview up to my iPhone and looking at the content on the iPhone and comparing that to what's already in LR, I can see that I have several months of images that were HEIC that were previously imported, same with HEVC video. Apparently there is no option to only use the new format for only photos or only video. It seems that the Automatic transfer setting got files into LR sometimes, but not all the time—and less often for videos, especially in recent weeks. Perhaps something happened in an update? Anyone know about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate