• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Autoimport + Smart-Previews??

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, does anybody know if there is a possibility of auto-creating a smartpreview while autoimporting (it only allows 1:1 previews)? I already tried a plug-in called "folder watch" wich allows smart-previewss at autoimport but also auto-creates 1:1-previews (can't be adjusted) which makes the plugin usless for me because the rendering process in this case takes way to long 😞 any ideas?

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
15 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, that option's not there. You can create smart previews on demand by selecting them and going to Library menu > Previews > Build Smart Previews. That way it can run later when the computer's not so busy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your fast reply!! Yes - usually that would work fine. But in my case I need a solution that doesn't need my prompting/confirmation. I want to put my sd-card in the slot of my macbook-pro while I'm shooting and the computer shall do the rest of the work (importing and creating of the smart-previews) so that I can start editing immediately after the shoot. I already have a script that's copying the pictures to my laptops harddrive 😞 but lightrooms autoimport is not allowing to create smartpreviews and the "folder watch"-plugin is creating additional 1:1 previews which slows the whole process so that when I want to start working only 20% or so of the importing process is finished.
it really is a big challenge just to be able to start working after a shoot without waiting for hours till the catalog is ready. It will be a pain in the ass but I guess i will have to switch to capture one or another alternative because of this little problem! hmpf ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll switch this to a feature request because I don't remember anyone requesting it before. 

Silly question, but for what purpose are you creating the smart previews, that is delaying you from editing the photos immediately after the shoot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Previews build fairly quickly so it shouldn't take too long to select all the new photos  in Library and build them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When dropping photos on a monitored folder Smart Previews are not created on Lightroom CC Auto Import, even when regular import settings are set to create Smart Previews. 

1. Version of the app: Lightroom Classic 12.1 
  2. Platform and OS version: Windows 10
  3. Basic steps to reproduce the problem: When dropping photos on a monitored folder Smart Previews are not created on Lightroom CC Auto Import, even when regular import settings are set to create Smart Previews. 
  4. Expected result and actual result: Smart Previews should be created on Lightroom CC Auto Import but they are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to change this post to an "Idea" (i.e. a feature request). Currently, the auto-import settings allow the user to choose one of Minimal, Embedded & Sidecar, Standard or 1:1 previews during auto capture. What you want is an additional specific option to also generate Smart Previews.

BTW, "Lightroom CC" is no longer a valid name, and can be confusing as it was last used by the cloud-centric Lightroom. Lightroom Classic is the correct name for your particular app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no "idea" 😉 how to cahnge the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When dropping photos on a monitored folder Smart Previews are not created on Lightroom Classic Auto Import, even when regular import settings are set to create Smart Previews. 

1. Version of the app: Lightroom Classic 12.1 
  2. Platform and OS version: Windows 10
  3. Basic steps to reproduce the problem: When dropping photos on a monitored folder Smart Previews are not created on Lightroom Classic Auto Import, even when regular import settings are set to create Smart Previews. 
  4. Expected result and actual result: Smart Previews should be created on Lightroom Classic Auto Import but they are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Submitted another posy as Idea 😉 with correct name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You submitted it in Discussions again, so I moved it to Ideas.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Propose to add building of smart preview upon auto-import to the existing Minimal, Embedded & Side Car, Standard or 1:1.
Ideally allow multiple checkmarks instead on only one. 

2024-02-21_15-27-40.png

On a separate note .. I had worked out a workflow to allow me to completely ignore the default manual import process.
Would also like to propose that the Auto-Import be expanded so that 
It can support multiple importing schemes. Call them import presets. each with its own develop, metadata presets and default keywords if needed. 
note: Will repeat the second proposal in a separate posting later with more details, rationale and use case scenarios. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My discussion apparently is the same as yours. Found out when it was merge here. I am suprise no one else has this problem since 2019, year you posted this idea.
Similar to your workflow I use the Auto-Import feature. I switch off the "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected". I found the auto-import way faster than the manual import. Adobe adding in the smart preview and together with the LrMobile's settings only down load smartpreview, one could have a auto-import to a collection that is sync to the cloud. When the sync is complete the photos will be available for editing/culling with LrMobile and doing those tasks on a tablet is way more efficient.
In addition with this feature, one could be traveling thousands of km from home/office, complete a shoot, upload the raw photos to a cloud service. Lightroom back at home/home auto-import into a collection with built smart previews. Photos safely at your home/office setup and backup daily one can begin culling and editing with just a tablet. 
Actually this is the workflow I am actually using now except the images are not smart-preview  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate