• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Custom sort order of keywords (instead of alphabetic).

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom needs to stop re-ordering our keywords into an alphabetical order. People who are keywording for stock agencies and other purposes need to order their keywords most important and relevant first. Lightroom ruins this for us. I can't believe it's version 5 and Lightroom hasn't figured this out. Lightroom is single-handedly ruining our sales based on keyword searches. Thanks Adobe

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 126 Replies 126
126 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you could *almost* accomplish the goal now by doing this:

* Pre-pend a 0-padded number to keep them ordered the way you want.
* Remove the prefix upon export using Jeffrey Friedl's Metadata Wrangler.

I say "almost" because Jeffrey's plugin requires each prefix be specified individually (pattern matching not supported), which may be prohibitive, or maybe not (?)

That said, if the concept is sound (keywords are orderable using the prefix, and order can be maintained by exiftool upon export), then one could request Jeffrey implement pattern matching, and if design not making that easy (or he's too busy..), maybe somebody else could add that to a different plugin, e.g. me to Exportant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywords in custom sort order are necessary! Everyone should choose in what order want keywords, not only for stock photography but in general! Adobe should correct this as soon as possible, it is very important for photographer in digital era! LR is the better software! This is, for my opinion, the only necessary thing to add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywords in custom sort order are necessary! Everyone should choose in what order want keywords, not only for stock photography but in general! Adobe should correct this as soon as possible, it is very important for photographer in digital era! LR is the better software! This is, for my opinion, the only necessary thing to add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are at least three stock agencies that require the keywords sorted by relevancy: Alamy, Fotolia and Panthermedia.

So this is not a single use case, but a nneded feature for professional stock photographers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iStock, pixta, ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to get that info, finally. Do you know any more details? For example, do they use all the keywords to assess relevance or only (say) the first 5 keywords. I wouldn't bet on Adobe implementing this (not least as I think it would force them to add other features such as a switch between alpha and non-alpha sorting) but more detail might allow a plug-in to provide a solution that's better and sooner. You might even ask the stock agency to create their own LR plug-in - it might be self-interest....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@john: It depends on the stock agencies. Fotolia ranks the first 7 higher, Panthermedia the first 8, Alamy has a system of different degrees, not sure about the other ones mentioned...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+pictage (requires sorted keywords too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's not the question if an agency it need's and how. There is really no reason to force a photographer how he has to manage his keywords. Photoshop does not, Bridge not and ie. captureone also not.

I have over 20 agencies and each of these has a different way to deal with keywords. So I think it would be very difficult to change LR in this direction.

The switch between apha- and non-alpha would be great, also a tool where you can drag and drop the keywords in the correct order - also to mange older photos with alpha-sorting.

For the motivation of adobe, if a small agency like pixta has 141.000 contributors you can imagine how many potential customers you can find in this world.

I love LR very much and work with it many hours a day, but all the hours I need for the workaround for this "bug" are not necessary.

(again sorry for my bad English 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion is that a "Custom order" option should be added to the "Keyboarding" LR panel.

Entered keywords would be ordered alphabetically by default but the user would have the option to: overing the pointer on each keyword would highlight it and from that point clicking and dragging would automatically enable the "Custom order" and the keyword position would change according to position where the mouse click is released.

I believe it would be a easy feature to implement and that would solve all the users needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no one who want to create/write a plugin for this? I believe that people want to pay for this also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've thought about adding a feature to maintain keyword order to my Any Tag plugin. But it would take a fair amount of effort to work around various limitations of the LR SDK, and I'm pretty sure I would sell no more than a handful of additional licenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2015 Feb 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not do it regardless how many additional licenses you sell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2015 Feb 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My time is limited, as I'm sure yours is too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Lightroom,

Could you please add the option of custom sort order of keywords or not changing the order of keywords put together in a smart manner by your users: amateurs and professionals?
As long as this "option" is not in place as it is in bridge - your bridge software! - and CaptureOne, I cannot buy into your system as a professional photographer.

Thank you for letting us know when you move forward - we seem to be a more important community as you may think!

Laurent Hamels - STUDIO GRAND OUEST on 6 world stock agencies

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I can't believe it's version 6 and Lightroom hasn't figured this out." Or is it just ignorance? Considering that the automatic sorting is a build in feature that required additional programming efforts it would be a 2 Minute programming task excluding this "feature" by adding a checkbox. By the looks of it professional photographers requirements don't count for Adobe.Ignorance is bliss ... I'm seriously disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same with me. Frustrating this kind of ignorance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really frustrating. It can't be that difficult to add custom keyoword ordering to LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can see, the order in which you write keywords is not stored anywhere in LR's catalogue. That's partly because LR is a database, but also because keyword order isn't part of the IPTC standard which Adobe would factor into the design. Modifying the catalogue isn't a 2 minute job.

I've been experimenting with a plugin which does the job, but the workflow isn't ideal. Again, it's not a 2 minute job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's neither impossible nor as easy as you might imagine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2015 Aug 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why Lightroom not Improve about this problem, the programer just improve this program for customer and let them choose that they want LR to arrange the keword or not.
I think if Lightroom want to fixed this it is very easy and all stockphotographer over the world will appriciate this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is very good programe,just 1 little problem should be solve.
About the keyword, can you make it not arrange by alphabet.I want to arrange it by myself.If you can solve this problem all stock photographer over the world will appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ́d like to know, if there are any thoughts on implying a new function to lightroom to sort the key words manually. Many stock photographers would be very very glad if they could sort the keywords given to a picture in a free order. Are you planning kind of these functions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree. This is one of the main annoyances in Lightroom. If Lightroom wouldn't have such an effective sharpening algorithm and if there weren't a few very useful plug-ins available, I'd not use it at all. I'm missing Aperture!!! Maybe I'll just use MediaPro together with several converters in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

funny, one of the most important agencies who has this "sort-after-priority-thing" is Fotolia. And who bought Fotolia last year? So all people who wants to upload their work to Fotolia couln't use LR for it.
Really funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate