• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Increase the number of cells in the Keyword Set

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, For keywording, my typical first step would be to have a look at the standard photo categories (Example given below taken form www.shutterstock.com homepage) to enter as "generic keywords" before entering the "photo specific keywords". For the generic keywords, the only asssistance I have in LR is "Keyword Set". But I find the no. of cells it has only 09 which is limited. According to the below list, if I have at least 30 cells I could easily visit the relevant Keyword Set and then select the appropriate categories from it at once.Is there any way I could increase that or how do I make a request to Adobe regarding this? The standard categories I found in Shutterstock.com: AbstractAnimals/WildlifeThe ArtsBackgrounds/TexturesBeauty/FashionBuildings/LandmarksBusiness/FinanceCelebritiesEditorialEducationFood and DrinkHealthcare/MedicalHolidaysIllustrations/Clip-ArtIndustrialInteriorsMiscellaneousModel Released OnlyNatureObjectsParks/OutdoorPeopleReligionScienceSigns/SymbolsSports/RecreationTechnologyTransportationVectorsVintageThanksDhammika Heenpella

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
23 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2011 Jun 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dhammika, you just have made the request to Adobe - they're reading this forum and other users can also vote on ideas that they'd like to see.

At the moment, the number of cells (9) is linked to their keyboard shortcuts (Alt 1-9 / Opt 1-9), I have regularly heard requests for additional cells for mouse-bound users, so it has my support. I'd find it useful myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2011 Jun 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be useful. There is also a suggestion to make keywording it's own module which I think would good. Please search the topics and add your vote to any of the proposals that you support.

-louie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way of creating a Keyword Set with more than nine entries in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like the ability to have more than nine keywords in a Keyword Set in Lightroom. The limit is very restrictive, especially when you're labelling shots for stock libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a huge help to me. I realize they were made to work with the numerical shortcuts, but when I'm tagging clips one by one in loupe view, I use the keyboard and mouse.

If there was a setting to add more cells or even let it expand as you minimize other pallets, it would making tagging a lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

A suggestion I'd love to see in Lightroom 4: could the number of 'slots' for keywords in the Keyword Suggestions and Keyword Sets be increased from nine to twelve (or even more)?
My reason for my request is that many sports teams have eleven players, and it would be so useful to have the entire team's players names available all at once - it'd save me some time in my workflow if this could be done.
Thanks
Geoff
geoff@geoffpenn.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like an extended keywordset next to the set of 9 keywords.

When tagging all players in a soccer team, including coaches, (not using the people option - because a lot of them are missed and players from opposite teams get tagged with wrong names so a lot of corrections to be made) it would be nice not to be limited to sets of 9.
Now I have to go through all of the photos and tag the first nine players, then go through all of the pictures again with the next set of nine names.
I understand that with a set of 9 you can enter the keywords with the num-pad shortkeys.
In an extended set you could have the first 9 correspond to shortkeys and the rest have to be either clicked or (if available) CTRL+numpad or SHIFT+numpad)

I do have some workarounds, but an extended set would come in very handy to speed up the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When adding keywords, especially with names of people at family gatherings, I quickly find I have to start typing names which is a pain.
I realise the current panels with 9 options per set is so people can use the number pad to select a displayed keyword - which technique I don't use as I prefer to use the mouse.
I do not use the right hand panel for anything else and would like to see both the "Keyword Suggestions" and "Keyword Set" extended by, say, double vertically and possibly one column horizontally so there are 18 or 24 cells available.
This extended feature could be a selected option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is there a limit to creating keyword sets to 9 items. i.e. If I wanted to create a keynote for the months of the year, I'd need twelve. It'd be nice to add as many as I'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

28 votes to have the number of cells increased.
Yet, another new Lightroom (LR8), with just 9 cells 😞

Please, Adobe, give us more cells to speed up our keywording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hear!  Hear!  At the very least the set should match the minimun IPTC sections and top-level metadata.  Ideally, there shouldn't be any limit.  Nine is simply arbitrary set by some developer who is not a photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the number of nine elements is based on the keyboard shortcut functionality (see e.g. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/keyboard-shortcuts-for-keywording.30944/ ).
Nevertheless it's too less for a daily tagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's probably how it got started...took little initiative om the development side.  But from a useability standpoint, nine is far too few.  This should have been changed years ago.  Instead Adobe wastes time on useless features pros never asked for and do not want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in on this age-old topic...

Frequently tagging a number of people in organized weekly activities, 9 is not enough to tag everyone with one set of keywords. I tag them by clicking, not by using the keypad, as with frequently changing keyword sets it is just the quickest way to do it.

Being able to have a bigger list of keywords - even if the bottom ones weren't hotkeyed - would make life SO much better in this regard. It seems like what could be such a simple change technically, as it only really is an interface thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, Bump.  This is 2 years old now?   Can we get some more votes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to create much bigger custom keyword grid sets AND also make them floating windows so I can edit faster and do a lot of repetitive keywording. A bit like customising Photoshops layout. I'd like to be able to have several grids of say 18/36 or more grids of frequently used keywords in sets so I can have few side by side eg. One that has common ingesting keywords for a project and another that may have random touchy feely descriptions etc etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Hi Rikk, I can't find the comment you mention the 'official answer' can you please send me a link?

Also this is an old request now, don't you think we need it? It's an obvious and essential improvement for photographers  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with having more than a 9 keyword limit. Interesting that in the last 12 years this hasn't been addressed. 

It kind of goes along with the fact that of all the editing plugins available for Lightroom, ONLY Photoshop is incapable of pre-selecting the format desired for the edit and then adding the jpeg to Lightroom if jpeg is chosen. Blows me away every time I have to struggle with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a sports photographer and use keywords to identify players (Facial recognition spends too much time trying to identify blurred people in the crowd to be useful).  But rosters are larger than 9 players.  It would really help me to be able to put the entire roster of a team in as keywords.  It would save me so much time.  

Does someone else have a work around they suggest?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I would like to see is a tweak to face trvognition that would identify
numbers, so those numbers could be added to the keywords. That way if Kathy
wants to see all the images of her husband playing Polo, his number could
be keyword searched. A copy of the team rosters could be photographed and
added to that event for reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My somewhat clumsy workaround for sports is I made numeric keywords 1-99 and in Grid View I painstakingly apply them to the images, but only for the players that are clearly the 'subject' of each photo. That's why in another post I mentioned how nice it would be if LR could somehow treat numbers like faces, with a 'subject' restriction. 

I shoot marathons for Marathon Photos and they have software that recognizes bib numbers, as well as hat, shirt and pant colors. Their photos are 'theirs' so I don't need it for that but I also shoot local district events and it would really be handy if LR's 'recognition' could include obvious numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I like the idea of the Face feature recognizing numbers too. Time for Lightroom to take a step forward!

Votes

Translate

Translate