• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Option to stop syncing photos in a Collection when that Collection is stopped from syncing

LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring back the possibility to stop a Collection from being synced AND stop photos in that Collection from being synced as well, in one-step.

Since LR CC 2015.7 this happens when you stop syncing a Collection (clicking the little sync icon or deselecting Sync with Lightroom Mobile via mouse contextual menu):

(Now you have to go and find those photos in that Collection from All Synced Photographs and remove them from there. Too many steps, too cumbersome and too easy to make a user error.)

There still is the requested option to remove photos at the same time when you delete a Synced Collection instead of just stopping it from syncing:

That same option should appear for just stopping the Collection being synced as well.

The first dialog for stopping a Collection from being synced is messy altogether as it asks if the user wants to "Stop syncing these photos?" but the button for doesn't actually stop syncing the photos and instead keeps those photos synced to LR Mobile and Web and just stops syncing the Collection name.

So at least more correct title could be "Stop syncing this Collection?" and that's not enough as there needs to be a way to stop syncing a Collection AND stop syncing photos in that Collection, in one step (unless they are part of another Synced Collection).

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
67 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

is there any progress regarding this issue ?

And if its true that we have chance to sync individual photo from Lightroom to Lightroom mobile wouldn't be great if we can add some filter after clicking on icon "sync this collection with Lightroom mobile"  for example share only 1star +, or share picked..

usually at wedding I took 4000+ photos and immediately after import Im able to filter out about 1000 bad pictures ( test shots, duplicates, behind scene etc. ) on computer wiht less than 1 star while importing. 

So it will be cool to have option to share only 1+ star photos so I can do further refinements on the Ipad ( sometimes even with Clients ) there is no need to upload all photos online an download it for offline on Ipad..

Or maybe boudoir shot is better example from 500 -> 50 unique poses that needs to be shown to client -> 5-10 chosen images by clients (4 star)..

Right now I need to create Temp copy of collections where I put starred photos, sync those collection and then carefully unsync them because behaviour discussed in this thread..

Thank you very much,
With regards,
Milan Strapko. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my didn't know there is actually two options for deleting a photo in a Collection via LR Web! Because of this I'm afraid I've might have messed up some of my Synced Collections (I don't manage my Collections via LR Web often, but I've just added a third Mac to my workflow and didn't have LR installed right away so I did some small tasks via LR Web).

So I've actually removed photos from all other collections they have been part of. This is so unpredicted as it means delete action behaves differently depending on whether you are in the desktop application or on the web.

Has anybody else not realised this (as this is unexpected)?
  • on LR Desktop when you delete a photo that is part of another Collection you don't delete it from other those other Collections
  • BUT on LR Web when you delete a photo that is part of another Collection you actually delete it from those other Collections as well
That is so wrong.

ps.  – CC subscribtion should really allow me use all my Macs without annoying remove/active license nonsense when using more than two Macs (one at home, one at work and a laptop on-the-go).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused by this as well. Please correct me if the following is wrong:

Given: I have synced photos not present in currently synced collections (because previously synced collections were un-synced from Lightroom Classic CC)
Given: I want to remove these photos from Lr Mobile (synced photos) as I'm nearing the cloud storage limitation
Given: I do NOT want to alter any photo metadata or collection membership to any photos on Lr Classic CC on my iMac

Then:
The most straightforward way to do this is go into preferences under: "Lightroom > preferences > Lightroom CC" on my iMac, and click "Delete All Data" (shown in bold) in order to force a deleting and re-uploading of all synced data to Lr Mobile clients.

Is this really true? If so, ok. I'll periodically cost Adobe 20GB of bandwidth. I just don't see how this makes design sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easier to select the photos you don't want to sync from the All Synced Photographs collection and remove them from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arjun, this is wrong. When I make Collections on LR Desktop (aka CC Classic, CC 2015) I do not expect a photo to disappear from that Collection because things happening in All Synced Photographs.
  • Put photos in a Collection (whether Synced or not)
  • Remove photos from a Collection only via that Collection
The way you can mess up Collections because doing something in All Synced Photographs is insane. Stop it.

The way All Synced Photographs nowadays works is ruining all logical workflows for desktop users. Now it's clear this change in All Synced Photographs has been done in favor of new Lightroom CC so it would be easy to understand how new Lightroom CC works. It's a stupid design decision for Lightroom Desktop (CC Classic, CC 2015) users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not easy to select photos to unsync in All Synced Photographs collection.

For comparison – does anyone work in LR Desktop via All Photographs (aka Master Collection for all your photos, synced or not, in a collection or not)? I'm pretty sure most of the time no one. That's because it's easier to work organised in groups via Folders and Collections .

All Synced Photographs doesn't give us any hierarchy or organisation, it's just a mess of photos.

Yet, we're supposed to handle our photos that we do not anymore want to sync, to be handled picking one-by-one from All Synced Photographs.

At least there should be a way to select all photos that are in ASP but are not part of any Synced Collection. Currently there's no way to do that (unless workarounds that are not reasonable when you have 500 Synced Collections).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize, but I did not read all of this in this thread. I do however agree with the original poster. Removing a collection from being synced (by unchecking the sync box) should absolutely remove them from Lightroom CC syncing. 

It makes no sense to me that if you uncheck a collection from syncing that these photos would remain in the Lightroom CC sync system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that the current design definitely is a bad one. All the functionality is actually there. It just needs to be given to the user to give the user the choice of the correct workflow for him, instead of making this extremely awkward.
--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excatly. Makes no sense. So why is it designed that way, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak for Adobe, but there's a lot of different workflows to take into account.

If you were to delete a collection, would you be happy if the contained photos were deleted from your hard drive? No, you'd still expect them to be in All Photographs, because you hadn't deleted them, you'd just removed a grouping.

The same principle applies. Imagine someone's uploaded their originals to the cloud, perhaps as a cloud backup. Do you think that user would be happy to find that his originals had been deleted from the cloud, just because he'd decided to remove a collection from sync?

Those are the kind of issues that have to be taken into consideration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not with you, Victoria.
This explicitly talks about a collection from Classic, which always are SmartPreviews and never originals in the cloud.
We shouldn't mix things up here.
--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reality is they ARE mixed up, because Classic is syncing with a separate CC cloud environment. Even if the collection originated in Classic, the user may have added originals to it. 

There could be an argument for Lightroom Classic checking whether the cloud has any originals in that specific collection before deciding how to handle it, but that's a whole nother level of complexity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading for about half an hour on various sites, I still have no idea how to unsync a collection. This is ridiculous. And seems to have been going on for 3 years. I give up. I think my solution is to remove all photos from "all synced photos" then re sync the ones I actually want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this is screwed up. the sync workflow is so flawed. Ive just filled my 20gb of storage.. so i selected some collections from syncing. But it doesn’t free up soace unless i remove the files individually from the all photos folder..

This is stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to remove them individually. Select the collection, use Ctrl-A or Cmd-A to select all the photos in that selection, go to 'All Synced Photographs' (not 'All Photographs'!!!!!!) and hit the Delete key or use the menu to remove them.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be very careful with this. If you do this and you still have sync’ed collections, it will remove those photos from the sync’ed collections. It has been awhile since I have tried it, but at one point it did this without really warning you it was going to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This is the current warning that Lightroom Classic issues when attempting to remove a photo from All Synced Photographs:

Seems clear enough to me, though of course it's probably safer to leave the "Don't show again" option unchecked!

Votes

Translate

Translate