• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Raw Import Aspect Ratio Crop

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently Lightroom uses the aspect ratio meta data in a raw file in a way which cannot be changed later on.It would be great, if Lightroom mapped the aspect ratio meta data, to the Crop tool in the Development section, so that the uncropped area of the sensor is available if needed.This has already been described in http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
19 Comments
Participant ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For micro 4/3 cameras, would it be possible to provide a user preference for whether or not to respect the shooting aspect ratio on imported RAW files? I know this was changed due to user requests at some point in LR 3.x, but it seems to be one of those things that will never please all users, so perhaps a switch/preference is in order.

Specifically, I'm currently shooting with an Olympus E-M5, and find the EVF and LCD display most useful when shooting with a 3:2 ratio. I'm shooting RAW+JPEG, and it would be useful to have the full 4:3 frame available in some circumstances, so it would be great to have the full uncropped RAW file somehow available in LR4. I'm currently running an EXIFTool script before importing into LR, and it's working, but it's a bit cumbersome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom with my Olympus XZ-1.
When I shoot in RAW (ORF) I like to select 3:2 aspect ratio in the camera because this way I see the 3:2 framing in the LCD when shooting.

The camera saves to file the full sensor data in 4:3 aspect ratio, along with the crop information to obtain the 3:2 aspect ratio image I have shot. In Olympus viewer it is possible to correct cropping if needed and the full sensor data is avaliable.

Lightroom does not treat the file as expected since the image is imported as a 3:2 image as shot, but the data around the 3:2 cropped area is not avaliable.
It should import ORF images as 4:3 images with a crop setting already applied, so that it could be modified.

This seems to happen with ORF files from all cameras as can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/adobe_li...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/rea...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/rea...
http://e-p1.net/olympus-digital-pen-a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I imported RAW images I shot on the Canon 5d3 with the camera set to Add Cropping Information set to 4:5 ratio. Crop lines are displayed on the camera LCD but you see the full frame outside of the crop when review files. Alarmingly, when I imported them to LR 4.1 RC, the images appeared cropped to 4:5. I though ok, I'll just go to the crop tool and I will see that a crop has been applied and I'll remove it. Unfortunately, there was no file beyond the crop lines, it could not be removed as far as I could tell. I called Canon and they told me to try Digital Photo Professional, a program that I never pay attention to. Sure enough, the images were intact when viewed there. There appears to be a bug when LR 4.1 RC encounters the crop tag on the raw file. I am running OS X 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For cameras that are supported starting with ACR 7.2 and LR4.2, one can set the Crop to "Original" to get back the in-camera cropped area.

For older cameras, there's the DNG Recover Edges plugin-in, which can be used to recover cropped area. The plug-in, as it's name implies, works only for DNG files, so one must convert a proprietary raw file before running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is BS. Fix this now Adobe. You need to have your software able to deal with the full 4:3 image even when you're shooting in a cropped aspect ratio like square format!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was fixed months ago. What exactly isn't working for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was not for the Canon 5D Mark III I originally posted this about, nor do they intend to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could give us some specifics then? Which camera? Which version of Lightroom?

Realize that just because a specific camera model doesn't match does not mean that your problem is not resultant from the same issue.

Have you tried the later versions of 4.x and used the DNG recovery tool where applicable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was only "fixed" for cameras that came out after the fix. For cameras that came out before the fix, you can use the DNG Recover Edges plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG Recover Edges is only a fix for people who use DNG.

A lot of us would never sacrifice future compatibility of our raw photos by converting them into DNG. (And I suppose that this group grew larger in the last few days.)

So it is still not fixed for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it isn't going to be. Like I said, it was only "fixed" for cameras released after the fix, and the DNG Recover Edges plugin is for the rest. If you are "the rest" I suggest you convert those images you need to "recover edges" from to DNG, while retaining the original raws as well, and in the future just shoot without any in-camera cropping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it isn't going to be fixed. You don't need to tell me that.

I just want to stop the misinformation. People keep claiming that it is fixed when it is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I refuse to accept that Adobe will not fix this major problem. I will continue to complain about it and raise this issue until such time as it has been properly addressed. It's ridiculous that they have known about this for almost a year, and still have not fixed it! RIDICULOUS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still not fixed in 3 years later 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed 5 years later...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed and now it's Oct. 2018. Come on Adobe, let's get this fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gary@flannerytrim.com please see: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_1_rc2_messing_up_olympus_e_pl1_raw_files#... 

Also referenced earlier in this thread.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
So how do the in-camera crop settings work with the Canon 5DsR, 5Dm4 and Sony A6500?

Votes

Translate

Translate