• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Read and write video metadata into video or sidecar

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Video part is great! I really like the previews.It is a great addition to sort and tag your video's. Only one problem:The tagging system doesn't work properly, it doesn't store the tags in the video-files like it is possible with the photo's. I hope this will be working in the Final.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 108 Replies 108
108 Comments
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most video files don't have a specified spot for metadata, like still images do. The video folks apparently don't have their acts together that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I don't think that this is the problem, for instance Windows Live Photo gallery is able to tag all the video's. and they are stored in the files. As can been seen in the details of the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can it store EXIF data, IPTC data and Develop settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With "it" you mean LR or Windows Photo thingy?

I think LR is not able to story anything in the file at the moment. And the Windows thingy is able to store tags and ratings. I don't know about the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many video container formats do support metadata; see for an overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparis...

The Windows Imaging Architecture provides a mechanism for applications to modify arbitrary metadata of image and video files, provided there's codec for the file type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it would be good for LR to store metadata for video files; without that ability, it's not the "single, robust workflow solution that can support all of your imaging needs regardless if they’re still images or video captures" that the Lightroom team aspires to (http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn....

LR could adopt an approach similar to what Adobe products have done with photos: If a metadata field (e.g. Keywords) has a slot in the particular video format, it will store it there. But it will also store all the metadata fields in an XMP sidecar. This is similar to how LR uses EXIF, IPTC, and XMP fields in photos. (Note that the XMP:DynamicMedia namespace is designed for video-specific metadata and appears to be the basis for the Video preset of the LR 4 Metadata panel.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Thanks for your extra information. Please press the "I have this problem too" button so that maybe Adobe employers see this problem.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do this:

1) Import some .MOV files into LR4
2) Apply some metedata
3) Click "Write Metadata" in the metadata status field
-- Lightroom will confirm that data has been written
4) Open the video file in i.e. AE or PP
5) Those metadata that were "supposedly" written - gues what.. They weren't written. At least both PP, AE and Bridge cannot see them.
6) In either PP or AE - Alter the metadata settings of the imported file from step 4
7) Go back to lightroom 4
8) The metadata status field has now been updated to "Conflict"
9) Click the little button and a window pops up asking you to either "Overwrite" or "Read from Disk"
10) Regardless of which one you choose - ABSOLUTELY nothing changes.

Is this really the way things are supposed to be ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4 - if Video is integrated into the final version 4 - should implement features so that they work.

Why on earth should lightroom NOT share and access metadata from all the other adobe apps....

No reason really !

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what Adobe employee "simonsaith" saith about video metadata in LR 4:

"I think the discussion internally is not if. It is just the resource and priorities for the release. A lot of things on our hand to chew off in one release."

http://forums.adobe.com/message/41408...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I am missing the VERY obvios, however it seems to me as if LR4's video integration is missing just about anything there is to miss.
Really crazy to think that those apps are coming from the same house ;-)

1) There is NO possibility to export to non-compressed media an include the Metadata CAREFULLY set in Lightroom. DPX does NOT get the LR4 Metadata written to them.
2) Exporting an H264 to H264 directly without intermediating will downgrade the quality so severly that one does NOT want to look at that video anymore.
3) Adobe has a wonderful way of sharing Metadata between its professional apps, so if one applies metadate inside of i..e Bride, Premiere Pro will be able to read them and vice versa.
ALL metadata applied inside of LR4 - STAY in lightroom 4. No other adobe app will be able to see those metadata. This is beyond crazy to me. And I have a HARD time understanding
why adobe implemented all those features of video if they are absoluty NO USE to anyone. Unless of course one would want to watch all his videos in Lightroom UNCUT.
But since the adobe lightroom crew has not yet figured out the obvious and included Lightroom in Apple's FronRow - I dont see that happen, at least for Mac users which are VERY acustomed
to a certain luxury that ANY OS should feature!

If this here wasnt so darn tragic I would be laughing instead i am pulling my hair. I would LOVE to actually be able to use Lightroom to handle my rushes (footage) and be able to apply metadata in LR4 and then just import into Premiere.

Perhaps this just the first beta's shortcomings. I really hope so.

If I am missing the very obvious and doing something wrong, please enlighten my poor soul 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4 needs to be able to store, import and export metadata for non-image files such as video files and other files I wish to organize in LR4.

This is critical for a cross application workflow based on metadata as well as allowing LR4 to serve as a robust DAM system.

LR4 needs to be able export this metadata into sidecar XMP files and be able to import the metadata from the sidecar XMP files.

This includes the standard XMP fields such as subject as well as the lr extensions, hierarchical subject, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The inability for LR3 and 4 to record and manage most video files by date is a disgrace. Windows 7, for free, does a much better job.

The basis of the problem, from what I have been able to work out, is if the video does not contain a specific 'Date Taken' (or whatever*) value, then LR3 and 4 use the 'Date Created' as the time of the video. This is useless, as (in Windows anyway) that is generally the time the video was copied to your machine or HDD, rather then when it was taken.

That I think is the basics, but it gets worse and more complicated. Sometimes it seems to use GMT (as opposed to your local time). Sometimes it will change the time depending of whether or not you have daylight savings enabled in your camera. I spent a couple of hours testing, and with all my cameras set to the correct local time, I could get 7 different LR 'Capture Time' with 7 different cameras. Its a bad joke.

The very very very very easy solution would be to have LR just use the 'Date Modified' time instead of 'Date Created' or whatever they use now. Thats what Windows 7 and a whole bunch of other programs use by default. But a number of us have been raising this since LR3 beta, and have been systematically ignored.

And its why I dont use Lightroom to manage my videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Canon 5D Mark III does not produce .THM sidecar files with the .MOV video files, but all the same camera metadata is available in the .MOV file as was available in the .THM file (like with the Canon 7D). None of this .MOV metadata is being imported into LR. Also having this problem with Canon SX40HS.

See images below for the difference in metadata panels from 7D to 5D Mark III. Makes it impossible to use metadata filtering on videos!

Canon 5D Mk III Metadata in Lightroom:

Canon 7D Metadata in Lightroom (image below corrected 4/9, shown in LR 3.6 - I actually am having trouble importing 7D videos into 4.1 RC at the moment):

Using Jeffrey Friedl's excellent "Metadata Viewer" Plugin, it is possible to see that all the metadata is available in the 5D .MOV file, so I would expect it to be pulled into Lightroom as well.

Thanks!

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This behavior regarding video metadata in Lightroom 4 is terribly inconsistent and frustrating. In my case, I took a bunch of videos, and then each one, one-by-one, I had to select Metadata->Edit Capture time, and then the select Change to File's Creation Date, and then the metadata field, and time shown in the grid was correct. So obviously, Edit Capture Time can uncover the date and time the video was created.

I suggest to Adobe that in the future, imported videos show the creation time in the grid, as well as in the EXIF metadata. I don't want to see the time imported, and I don't want to have to select the videos one by one to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Fujifilm X10 movies are shown as shot by unknown camera (and unknown lens, BTW).
No metadata panel under Lightroom is able to extract the camera model.

If I open any .MOV under finder and CMD+I, the camera name is shown:

It mean that the data is written somewhere but Lightroom did not manage to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waiting for the thread to be split back again, here is the output for exiftool.
The camera model is reported twice:

Information                     : FUJIFILM DIGITAL CAMERA X10

Camera Model Name : X10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is no place to store it in the video file. It should go into the XMP file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing as in the other thread.

The fact that the metadata is in the file and ExifTool can see it, does not mean Lightroom would necessarily read it.

The title of this topic is a bit obsolete (thus it mislead you), but this thread has become the master thread for the issue of "poor video metadata handling" in general. And this is exactly the reason why Lightroom does not display your camera model name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As moderator you're allowed to do that, but you're really mixing apple and oranges in the very same basket.
Beside that, exiftool reads that, Apple Finder reads that. The metadata is not encrypted.

Missing such information in Lightroom and displaying "unknown camera" for a known one is indeed a bug.
Let's hope that Adobe fixes it shortly. It shouldn't be that hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the metadata is there and yes, it is a bug (or a design limitation). But it's the same bug/limitation, or rather a subset of the one discussed in this topic — "Poor video metadata handling". (I guess we should update the topic title, maybe?)

There's no much use in same problem reports being scattered over multiple topics. I believe, a problem has a bigger chance to get attention when the "Me Too" counter has a higher value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im all for whatever gives this issue a higher profile. Its such a glaring gap that really hamstrings LR as a management tool for videos.

Things like the 'Date Created' vs 'Date Modified' problem, which is clearly NOT by design (its different then the way photos are treated for example), have been complained about since LR 3 beta two years ago, and nothing is ever done.

I still dont use LR to manage my videos, for just these reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing videos from Samsung WB2000 into Lightroom 4.x does not have proper creation dates. This was not a problem with Lighroom 3.x

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have imported AVCHD videos from an SD card in Panasonic HD writer to a harddisk. Later on, I have imported these files in lightroom. Now, Lightroom 4.1 displays the capture date as the date on which the files were written to the harddisk. When I view the properties of the files in Sony Vegas 10, it correctly displays the capture date as the date on which the clips were made, so the capture date code is still correctly embedded. Lightroom 4.1 correctly orders the files chronologically, so it is able to read the date code correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case, LR isn't reading the capture date from the metadata; rather, it is sorting your thumbnails by their files' file-modified date. LR displays the file-created date in grid view, but it uses the file-modifed date for sorting and filtering:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

When you copy a file on Windows, the file-modified date (set by the camera) is preserved, while the file-created date is set to the date/time the file was copied.

Votes

Translate

Translate