• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Read and write video metadata into video or sidecar

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Video part is great! I really like the previews.It is a great addition to sort and tag your video's. Only one problem:The tagging system doesn't work properly, it doesn't store the tags in the video-files like it is possible with the photo's. I hope this will be working in the Final.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 108 Replies 108
108 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 4.2 does not read GPS data from my iPhone 4 videos, reads wrong capture data (shifted by 2h). Both problems do not occur with simple iPhone JPEGs.

Other external software does read this video metadata information correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2012 Oct 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not idea why Adobe doesn't read video metadata!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2012 Oct 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was a problem in LR 3 too, and Adobe added more video functionality into LR 4 but conveniently skipped this. Google Picasa does this for free!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if Lightroom (4.2) can't write to THM sidecar files, there doesn't seem to any reason it couldn't at least read all the exif & iptc fields. I set the IPTC "Title" field using a separate program (exiftool), and it causes me many problems that Lightroom can't read this field for my .MOV files, and maintains a separate, unsynchronized value for this field.

exiftool is a free and highly tested tool that Adobe could easily add to Lightroom to handle cases where their team hasn't gotten around to writing the code, I wish that Adobe would use it (or write their own code) so that video is a "first class" citizen in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good comment, thanks. Did you click the +1 at the top ".... people have this problem". Maybe if we get enough hits, Adobe will finally address this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can only hope that the LIghtroom development team will get the resources necessary to follow the current metadata standards that are already being used in Premier and Final Cut Pro X.

-louie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey In case anyone is interested here is the Final Cut Pro XML format specification pdf

I'm sure that there is a similar document for Premier and Avid.

-louie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that LR can't save metadata to video files is a severe limitation and makes it next to useless for video processing. I don't understand really why? Bridge can do it, why not Lightroom? I understand that there maybe performance penalties but that can be dealt with by some "batch syncing" to files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reality, the video was taken last week. The camera is a Samsung TL350, so it is not that old, and the files are in MP4 format. Attached are two screenshots, one showing Lightroom's idea that the video is from 1945, and another from Windows showing that the file was created on 1/29/2013 at 6 pm.

Is there at least a workaround for this? Right now, I have to copy these files manually, or Lightroom puts them in wacky folders based on random, ancient dates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the original thread:

LR has problems creating folders organized by capture time (there are other threads here and in the user-to-user forum on that topic).

Finally, that the time is off by 68 years indicates a very specific bug, the use of a 32- bit variable rather than a 64-bit variable to hold a time value. A signed 32-bit integer can only represent the number of seconds equivalent to +/- 68 years. There was a similar bug in LR 3 for Mac:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3701469

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have decided to use the following as a temporary work-around to this problem:

Canon, at least, creates a thm file for every movie file. A thm file stores some of the metadata associated with the movie file (like date/time), and can be used to store other any other IPTC metadata like location, latitude/longitude. Lightroom, of course ignores the thm file. However if you duplicate the thm files as jpg files (I have an applescript that does this), then Lightroom will at least treat the jpg files as "first class" citizens, allowing you to save metadata in them, and write metadata to them from other programs.

If you use other programs to change metadata in your image files (like georeferencing) or if you just like to have the metadata saved with the image so you can share it with other people and other programs, the "JPEG sidecar" is at least a partial solution.

For Mac users, the following AppleScript will duplicate all thm files in a directory to jpg files.

==

set theFolder to choose folder with prompt "Choose a folder of thm files."
tell application "Finder" to set thmFiles to files of theFolder whose name extension is "THM"

repeat with f in thmFiles
set src to POSIX path of (f as text)
set dest to ((characters 1 thru -4 of src) as text) & "jpg"
set whatIwouldDo to "cp " & quoted form of src & " " & quoted form of dest
try
do shell script whatIwouldDo
end try
end repeat

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the technique that the Any File plugin uses -- it creates a "proxy" JPEG thumbnail that gets imported into the catalog, and it transfers all metadata from the video file or its sidecars (e.g. .thm's) to the proxy file. Any metadata changes you make in lightroom are written to the proxy JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course, John, I should have mentioned Any File as another (great) solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already to 5.3 RC and no change... It won't even read basic media info that is easy to read using exiftool.

It continues to be frustrating the Adobe cannot seem to spare the resources to handle some of this basic metadata support. Just look at the endless and as of yet unanswered requests for better keyword management too.

-louie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Louis, I'm on 5.3, and cannot manage my videos correctly. The Capture Time is all messed up, and there is a LOT of manual editing required. Then, even after i manually update the capture time, the file renaming function pulls from date/time digitized, so then there's more manual work required. Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Lightroom 5.3 and struggling hard to work with capture time for my videos. Things get even more complicated when trying to export videos to flickr since flickr is not very good either, at handling capture date...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is frustrating when importing gigabytes of pictures & videos to have to then manually sort of the video dates!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2014 Jul 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never used to use LR for managing videos until recently. I was surprised, like everyone else here, that LR doesn't deal with metadata for videos at all.

1. At minimum, it should save title, description and year.
2. If the video format doesn't support meta-data, write it into the XMP (or even just skip it, I wouldn't care in those cases). Most modern video formats support it though (mov, mp4, m4v).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing they haven't done anything yet about this.
I feel I may have lost a lot of time tagging my videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like to be able to change the "Date Digitised" Metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question maybe its been covered. when importing stills and video from my Canon power shot G15. the stills will have for example exif date and time 09:00am (time taken) but if I have a video shortly after say taken at 9:05am the create date may show 09:05 but exif has a 4 hr difference of 13:05. I looked at video file in Canon software and don't see a issue. just when looking at LR catalog listing I have to alter time for the .MOV files. I tried test with my 60D and 70D and it appears to be ok. anyone else have this problem? Is it LR6CC or me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question maybe its been covered. when importing stills and video from my Canon power shot G15. the stills will have for example exif date and time 09:00am (time taken) but if I have a video shortly after say taken at 9:05am the create date may show 09:05 but exif has a 4 hr difference of 13:05. I looked at video file in Canon software and don't see a issue. just when looking at LR catalog listing I have to alter time for the .MOV files. I tried test with my 60D and 70D and it appears to be ok. anyone else have this problem? Is it LR6CC or me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has acknowledged they never finished their support of video metadata in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is too bad that Adobe seems to be unable to marshal any resources to address this issue or any other metadata enhancements.

Votes

Translate

Translate