• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Wish for a "cancel" button on "Back Up Catalog" box

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had only one wish for the next Lightroom update, it would be a cancel button on the last dialog when you close a catalog. I like the reminder to back up each time, but sometimes I click quit too soon or by accident. It would be great if the "Back Up Catalog" dialog included "cancel" next to "Skip this time" and "back up." Thanks.

Idea Released Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
61 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is the only software that I use which does not give you a chance to change your mind if you inadvertently close the program. We need a CANCEL button!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you do File -> Exit you are committed to exit.  There's no turning back!  The exit dialog needs a Cancel button.  If you "x" the dialog, Lightroom will exit anyway, which is unexpected behavior (in my experience, killing a dialog is equivalent to cancelling it).  

What's with the emoticons?  They're so juvenile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... it is very strange and sometimes frustrating behav.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exiting lightroom the dialog window asks if you want to back up the catalog and you can or simply skip this time but clicking the x to close the dialog window simply exits the program. If you want to change your mind and not exit you still have to exit. If you select exit and then decide not to you are forced to exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish that when you quit Lightroom and the backup window comes up, you could cancel quitting as well as backing up or not backing up. Working fast, "command-q" happens accidentally sometimes and I would love to have the choice to not quit. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you accidentally click command-W instead of command-E, you get the close dialogue box to either check the database or not. But there's no "cancel" option. That would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not infrequently I accidentally hit Cmd-Q instead of Cmd-Tab (to change applications). This brings up the Backup Catalog Before Exit dialogue box and I'm then stuck quitting LR and having to restart it. Hitting Esc does not abort the exit process.

Please ask Adobe to include a Cancel option in that diagoue box so I can just return to LR without quitting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be good to have a way to cancel accidentally quitting LR. Sometimes I accidently hit the Comm. + Q and LR quits (without giving the option to cancel the action). An "Are you sure you want to quit LR?" warning would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to design Lightroom such that when you click on the "Close" X in the top right hand corner, it provides an option NOT to close. I find myself clicking on it by mistake, say, when I am in Survey mode instead of typing "G", and have to close and reopen LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using LR5 on a Mac, OSX 10.11.5: Please please please please PLEASE put a Cancel button on the exit dialog box.

Then alter the behaviour of keyword list so that it doesn't go back to the top of the list after adding/altering/deleting a key word.  

Apart from a few irritating things like these LR is a fantastic app. It's very much my primary app and otherwise I have no real complaints.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR5 is no longer updated, so this won't happen for you, Koro. I do agree that it should happen in LR CC though.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely amazing that Adobe hasn't addressed this longstanding issue.  For a while I'd found a solution to hitting "Comm + Q" accidently by changing the shortcut to Quit LR to "Comm + Option + Q."  But that went away when I just did the latest LR update and I can't figure out how I changed that in the first place.  Adobe support was of no help on this.  And even with the accidental quitting by hitting "Comm +Q" solved, the problem with accidentally hitting "Comm + W" remained, as I was unable to change the W shortcut.  
Allowing customizable shortcuts and/or providing a "cancel" button on quitting LR is such a no brainer, and this has gone on for so many years that I get to wonder what the hell is going on at Adobe.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forced exit via the backup dialog when the Windows Close (X on the top left) is hit is the most frustrating issue I have in LR having used it since v2, and have read all the other requests for a fix here and on the forum for such a basic enhancement. I can't think of another Windows program that does not have an intermediate dialog to confirm your exit or allow a cancel back into where you were working. I hit Close regularly since the  photo viewer software I use simple closes that image and returns to the list of images - my brain is not good enough to keep in mind I'm in LR and not elsewhere.  Please add this feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you don't have to let Lightroom make a catalog backup on quit. You can do it less regularly, or you can decide not do to it at all (at least not by Lightroom), but use a general backup package that makes regular backups of your entire disk, including the Lightroom catalog. In that case just do catalog optimize from time to time.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do people keep misinterpreting the issue being discussed here and in other forums - we must have trouble expressing ourselves? I did not say anything about wanting or not wanting a backup. The actual issue is exiting/quitting LR and wanting a Cancel option to prevent unwanted exits/quits. As some users have suggested, the Cancel button could be included on the Backup dialog (thus preventing a quit and a backup at that time and returning to work in the current LR database).
But it would be better to have a separate 'Do you really want to Quit?'. (thanks for suggesting a using a regular BU - I do this nightly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't know about Windows, but on my Macintosh a database application like FileMaker does not have such an extra step (and I would find it irritating if it did). It just quits when I hit Cmd-Q. Same for my word processor (unless I have unsaved documents) and most other application I can think of.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Golly guys, why is Lightroom the only program left on the planet that will not let you cancel shutting it down.  Sooooo often I hit the wrong button and find myself with the only choice being back up or no back up.   I want a Cancel button, is that too much to ask?  Even Microsoft does this.....

And while you are at it fix the damn server busy error, I have been living with that cursed piece of code for  years.  Grrrrrr.  Nothing fixes it. I have tried everything short of human sacrifice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ce que nous demandons simplement, c'est l'ajout d'un bouton 'Annuler' permettant le retour immédiat dans LR Classic.

What we are asking for is the addition of a 'Cancel' button for immediate return to LR Classic in the next version of LR Classic CC.

Thank's.
Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE W BUTTON IS NEXT TO THE E BUTTON ON A KEYBOARD. ACCIDENTALLY HITTING THE "W" BUTTON INVOKES THE THE CLOSE DIALOG THAT CANNOT BE CANCELED. PLEASE FIX THIS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first post on this issue was three years ago. 
Is Adobe deaf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What issue: Inability to type the correct key; seriously ?
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct typing is not the issue, it is when you change your mind. The x to cancel the dialog box is pretty much universal everywhere except Lightroom. How difficult can it be to change the code to do that. Inability to type the correct key is really a non issue, the issue is expecting the dialog box to behave the same way as every other dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How difficult can it be to change the code to do that.
Apparently rather difficult and more so than typing the desired and correct key! 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're totally missing the point!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am usually able to correctly type a key but I also never use LRs silly backup; unlike it, I back up EVERYTHING using an app designed for that task that also has zero issues with key commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate