Lightroom: Colour collections and collection sets to simplify navigation & cataloging

161 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Update: Color labels for folders were added in LR 7.4 --John Ellis]

I find it difficult to navigate folders and collections in the LH panel. To some extent this is because I (unwisely) chose to use similar naming conventions.If it were possible to allow users to "Colour code" folders and collections it would make navigation much easier and also give me another way of "cataloging" photos.My suggestion would be a small colour indicator, rather like the online/offline indicator but round instead of oblong.
Idea Released

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019
With the Lightroom Classic 8.4 release, Color Labels are now available for both folders and collections. 
Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018
The support for color labels for folders is added in the latest release of Lightroom Classic. Right click a folder and choose Add Color Label should add the relevant color label for folder. You can also filter and search based on color label. Please give it a try and let us know of your feedback.

Thanks,
Bhakti

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 200 Replies 200
200 Comments
Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something similar to MacOS Finder labels would be very convenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Community Professional ,
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea IMHO!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. I've had a number of people ask me about a similar feature.
-------------------------------------
The Lightroom Queen - Author of the Lightroom Missing FAQ & Edit Like a Pro books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems about this in LR.

It would probably make sense to extend it so it sets the colour of the OS folder icons too. Perhaps that's easy enough with Mac's Finder, and for all I know maybe Adobe can change Windows folder icons and add colour. This should only be done if it can be done on both OS's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 28, 2011 May 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good Idea, it is one of the many lacks of LR library

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2011 Jul 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to be able to change the color of folders in the Library's Folders panel. This would allow me to prioritize photoshoot that still need to be processed, for example, and quickly find them later on (visually).

At the moment, I rely on the following naming scheme:
date-of-shoot (short description)
For example:
2009-08-27 (First Prize Center)

Whenever I want to mark a photoshoot that still needs to be processed or fine-tuned, I add "===" in front of the description, like so:
2009-03-22 === (Skateboard)
I'm usually able to quickly notice all the "===" in my folder but it would be so much more convenient if I could use colors.

Here is a quick, poorly Photoshop example. To the left, what I'm using. To the right, color folders (just the text, or even the background color too).

Image is not available

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fantastic idea, it would be ideal if the folders pulled their label color directly from the OS, so that a change made to folder labels in the finder was reflected in the lightroom library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an excellent suggestion. I could make use of this today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the ability to lock and unlock folders.

The reason is that I use a Mac Book Pro when I am out and then copy the images I have downloaded onto the laptop to the desktop back in the office, using 'Export as Catalog'.

I need to be able to identify which folders have been copied so that I am not tempted to do additional processing/captioning/keywording afterwards, which cannot be easily transferred to the desktop.

Colour coding would certainly help; a lock would be better.

I have put in a feature request for thyis in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywording is very detailed work requiring a lot of time and concentration. I have to do this work over a sustained period of time. I easily loose my sense of keywording completeness.

If I could tag a Folder (my imported shoots folders) with a colored label or some other visual indicator that represents the status of my keywording in that folder, I think my efficiency and thoroughness would be greatly enhanced and my confusion about how much keywording I have done would be reduced.

For example: Folder #'s 1-4 permanently display a green label indicating all keywording is complete in each folder (unless new images are imported to those folders). Folder #5 displays a yellow label indicating keywording is in progress. Folder #'s 6-10 display a red label indicating no keywording has been accomplished. Within the yellow labeled folder, attached to each of the Prime Categories in the Keyword List is another colored label (red, yellow or green) to indicate the status of keywording per Prime throughout that folder. The color status could be selected by the user to indicate the users opinion of completeness. When all Prime Categories have been turned to green the Folder label turns green. The user can now proceed to the next Folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love this... I'm waiting this feature since LR1.

It would be a great help to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

excellent idea. i am all for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really miss the possibility to color the folder in LR, too!! We have version 4 coming: is there something inside now?

one suggestion:
Adobe can use the information from e.g. Folder Marker, a product which I use (or create same structure to design color (within an ini-file).

It is not state of the the art to have no coloring for a product for data management.

Who details, please?
Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2012 Jan 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am all for it as well and I suggested almost the same thing in the Lightroom 3 beta or maybe it was the version 2 beta.. I can see color coding as a possible implementation of the idea I had of just being able to mark a folder complete/processed.. or basically the state of processing.. as in nothing done, in process, or complete I believe was my original suggestion.

Though if we are going to go down the color coding route.. I would want my color codes to be able to be defined different than those I have for my individual images.

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to use colored folder icons to give them a kind of (working) state.
In Windows there are existing ini files from the product FolderMarker. Why not to use this given information while starting LR? In case users don ́t have the FolderMarker: same INI file can be created, not to have too much (new) files in my file system.
Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to see this too.

I'm spending the next three months working with an organization with a much more complex workflow than my clients usually need, and it's really putting Lightroom to the test. I've been able to streamline a lot with some presets and a few great plugins ( the RC Export Manager and LR/Transporter plugins ) - but I'm still having to go back and forth to folders in process, and would love to be able to easily flag them with colored labels or other visual markers so as to know at a glance which I need to go back to.

A feature like this would be great to build into the import dialog preferences too, so that if I'm creating a subfolder on import, that folder could be set to "red" or "to be processed" or what not by default, and then changed once done. Sort of like building some basic task management features into Lightroom to keep track of where we are. That would be swell.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would creating a smart collection with "Keywords = Empty" help some of you with your concerns?

If there are concerns other than missing keywords, create other smart collections to cover those concerns.

The above may not solve all of your concerns but perhaps some until future versions of Lightroom provide a better solution.

My guess is we will see DAM improvements addressed in LR 5. Just my guess. No inside info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I vote for it.
I will use it for know what folders need to be cleanup (add tag, geotag, remove duplicate picture)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm moving from iView Media Pro and use that extensively because it pulls the color label from what it is set to in the Finder. I miss having that because I used to use it for statusing exactly as a lot of you have suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree wholeheartedly. I used to use iView and it would pull the color that was set in the Finder for each folder. I used it primarily for keeping track of where I was in my process, as many of you suggested. This would be great to have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love to be able to flag entire folders in the Lightroom Library module.

I flag individual photographs that I would like to work on, but I'd love to be able to flag entire folders in a way that the flag is visible in the navigator pane. I would most likely flag folders that still had photographs needing work, and "unflag" the folder once all work was completed.

So, anyone out there have a suggestion on how to do something similar? What's your workflow in terms of tracking folders needing work?

Thanks,
Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

|> "So, anyone out there have a suggestion on how to do something similar? What's your workflow in terms of tracking folders needing work?"

I import into a holding area, and only move into the main folders when initial work is complete.

If still more work needed, I tag the files. Initially I used spare IPTC field for it, now I use CustomMetadata - either way works. Make smart collection of stuff needing work (or lib filter).

You can use TextMeta (v1.2+) to include folder path / names so you can display by folder in lib module.

PS - When you clear the "needs work" condition, photos will immediately disappear from your smart "to do" collection, so do that last, or put photos in a regular collection to work on.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

|> "So, anyone out there have a suggestion on how to do something similar? What's your workflow in terms of tracking folders needing work?"

I import into a holding area, and only move into the main folders when initial work is complete.

If still more work needed, I tag the files. Initially I used spare IPTC field for it, now I use CustomMetadata - either way works. Make smart collection of stuff needing work (or lib filter).

You can use TextMeta (v1.2+) to include folder path / names so you can display by folder in lib module.

PS - When you clear the "needs work" condition, photos will immediately disappear from your smart "to do" collection, so do that last, or put photos in a regular collection to work on.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for some great hints to try out. I'm going to experiment with using collections on folders that I need to work with. Ultimately, the color coding or flagging of folders would be preferred, but this at least gives me some flexibility in organizing folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are on the right track. It wouldn't surprise me if this feature never gets implemented for folders, because the trend is for folders to be sorta "under the hood", with collections taking the more active role for photo organization.

I use folders almost exclusively for my organizational purposes, so I'm all for making them "first class citizens"/full-featured in Lightroom, but I think I may be in the minority at this point.

For now: metadata, collections, and/or lib filtering is your answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate