• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Color collections and collection sets to simplify navigation & cataloging

Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Update: Color labels for folders were added in LR 7.4 --John Ellis]

I find it difficult to navigate folders and collections in the LH panel. To some extent this is because I (unwisely) chose to use similar naming conventions.If it were possible to allow users to "Colour code" folders and collections it would make navigation much easier and also give me another way of "cataloging" photos.My suggestion would be a small colour indicator, rather like the online/offline indicator but round instead of oblong.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019
With the Lightroom Classic 8.4 release, Color Labels are now available for both folders and collections. 
Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018
The support for color labels for folders is added in the latest release of Lightroom Classic. Right click a folder and choose Add Color Label should add the relevant color label for folder. You can also filter and search based on color label. Please give it a try and let us know of your feedback.

Thanks,
Bhakti

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 200 Replies 200
200 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote! Would be EXTREMELY helpful in my wedding photography and couples shooting workflow. I have to leave lightroom to use the mac labels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need this in my workflow today

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as you can see Adobe doesn't give a damn about customers wishes. 4 years are gone and nothing has been done. It's ridiculous.
I use Lightroom only since a few month. But I stumbled across so many flaws that I wonder that professionals are still using it. Ok, I admit, the develop mode is good. You can get really good results from the even worst image. But the rest around is just not good enough for a software that's in development since 15 years or so. We are talking about version 6 here. So I would expect a certain degree of features. And since a lot of professionals out there are using it, Adobe should have enough feedback what they actually want and need, and implement it as soon as possible.

just a small list of the top of my head:
-the mentioned color coding of folders isn't possible
-smart collections/filters aren't smart enough (I paid for the "Any Filter" plugin; i.e.: find RAWs without development settings, not in a bracket stack, quick develop setting - lens correction might be set)
-lens correction isn't applied automatically
-if you paste develop settings too early, while the image is still loading, they aren't applied; if you do it for a bunch of selected images it's done for the others but not the one loading
-you can't export/import names/metadata etc. into text/CSV files; you have to pay for extra plugins
-panorama assembly is crap; you can't tweak anything; I'm using Hugin for that
-HDR assembly is crap/slow/extremely memory wasting; a bracket set with 7x20MP images (1 = ca. 100 MB Tiff) is cramming my 8 GB so it sometimes start to swap data to the hard drive; if I use anything but the simplest de-ghost option I end up with lots of highly visible colour noise; usually the result is pretty much the same as middle one from the set - useless, I look into Photomatix, uses about 2 GB
-image export into different file formats/sizes/qualities in one step isn't possible; you have to do it one after the other, sooooo time/CPU/energy wasting; my solution is export as Tiff and then run XnView batch converter (even Canon's freeware RAW convert can export JPG/Tiff in one step, without red-rendering the RAW)

I probably forgot some things, I'm gonna have to start a list for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ronny, all good feedback. But in general, splitting it up into one idea per thread is more likely to have influence on Adobe -- they're more likely to read the individual ideas, and others are more likely to be able to add their thoughts and votes. Most of your feedback is covered by existing topics. (The search function in this forum is not great, so if you can't find the existing topics, a moderator can often merge your post into the right topic later.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ronny, all good feedback. But in general, splitting it up into one idea per thread is more likely to have influence on Adobe -- they're more likely to read the individual ideas, and others are more likely to be able to add their thoughts and votes. Most of your feedback is covered by existing topics. (The search function in this forum is not great, so if you can't find the existing topics, a moderator can often merge your post into the right topic later.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just trying to make a point. You say it yourself those topics are already addressed in other forums. And, did Adobe take care of it? Nope, they don't. And even after years of development third party plugins from hobby programmers address the needs of the crowd better than what Adobe with hundreds of fulltime employes is able to deliver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just trying to make a point. You say it yourself those topics are already addressed in other forums. And, did Adobe take care of it? Nope, they don't. And even after years of development third party plugins from hobby programmers address the needs of the crowd better than what Adobe with hundreds of fulltime employes is able to deliver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like this will never be implemented... It would be amazing if Adobe added little features like this that are actually helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree that the much, if not most, of the individual feedback in these forums doesn't appear to have much impact. But overall, this forum does influence Adobe's product development, at least to a modest degree. The more votes a topic gets, the more likely (at least a little) that it will influence Adobe. But like voting in government elections, it's hard to see how the vote of one person can have much impact. With this forum, however, it's not just the vote, but more importantly, the expressed reasons behind the vote that seem to have more influence.

(And as a side effect, developers like myself get ideas for plugins by reading the feedback here.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree that the much, if not most, of the individual feedback in these forums doesn't appear to have much impact. But overall, this forum does influence Adobe's product development, at least to a modest degree. The more votes a topic gets, the more likely (at least a little) that it will influence Adobe. But like voting in government elections, it's hard to see how the vote of one person can have much impact. With this forum, however, it's not just the vote, but more importantly, the expressed reasons behind the vote that seem to have more influence.

(And as a side effect, developers like myself get ideas for plugins by reading the feedback here.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the ability to right-click on a folder or keyword in Lightroom and assign it a color, much like the existing ability to right-click on a layer in Photoshop and assign the layer a color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 from me ^^
I was thinking about this since I started using LR3 and sadly, it's still not implemented.

Would be awesome if there would be both Color Labels and Ratings !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really like to see colored highlights on the folders in the Folders and Collections sections in Lightroom in the Library Module similar to the way in which I can add color ratings to thumbnails. This way I can immediately locate particular folders such as my Portfolio, Family etc. As it now stands the best I can do is to put these in all capital letters to draw my attention so I can locate them quickly. Please consider this for a future update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color labels are great for photos and used for a variety of indicators, such as "Green" meaning all edited, tagged and ready for export. Or "Yellow" needing tagging.

It would be awesome if the list of folders and collections in the Library had a the same label option for each folder.

Then you could flag a whole folder as Yellow and know it needed tagging. Or Green and it's all done with no further work needed.

JFriedl made a plugin called Folder Status which allows setting statuses on folders, however you have to open the plugin to see what the status is for a folder, which makes it hard to see at a glance where that set of folders is up to.

The whole folder row could be highlighted by the user right-clicking and selecting a Label, or another way would be to have an indicate it would be for the folder to have icons for the labels of the pictures *within* the folder.
I've mocked up both styles as images attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe!! It's been over 5 years since this suggestion has been made. It really doesn't seem that hard to implement this in some way shape or form. The inability to do this really makes my workflow klunky and inefficient. A simple color to the folder really doesn't seem that hard to add. As an ultra basic implementation just piggyback it off of the OS folder color (I assume you can do that in Windows as well??) and you're done. Can y'all at least even say if you're considering or working on this please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems as though Adobe doesn't care about user input and small parts of a workflow. I think they are only interested in adding bigger features that are selling points...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been requesting this type of color coding for both Folders and Collections for quite a while. How long must it take for a simple update like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno guys, this one seems like a no-brainer to implement. Perhaps it hasn't been seen by a decision maker at Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those who suggest it's a no brainer to code; you guys have coding experience with the LR product line?

I understand the want bumps for a feature, really I do. I've got a long list too. It's out of our hands. Make the request and move on (to using LR or another product). It's not like this 'idea' is so new and clever, no one inside the LR team thought of it too. They clearly don't have it high up on their list of 'features' to support. Maybe LR7?
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2016 Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think after waiting 5 years already, people are allowed a moan ... it'd be a low-risk modification to LR with high-visibility results. Maybe LR 11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2016 Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think after waiting 5 years already, people are allowed a moan ... it'd be a low-risk modification to LR with high-visibility results. Maybe LR 11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Lightroom Library Module's left column where the folders are listed it would be good to be able to assign a color label/tag to the folder itself to easily identify folders of a similar type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In OS X you can assign tags to folders. If LR simply allowed these to be surfaced/visible that would probably go most of the way to making all the OS X users happy. This would be outside the Catalog though so has the downside of not being portable. And Windows users would need a LR specific solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Andrew not a good answer, if coding was easy we'd all do it. But one day they may allow colors as anew feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Andrew not a good answer, if coding was easy we'd all do it. But one day they may allow colors as anew feature...

Votes

Translate

Translate