• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lighroom Preview.lrdata, allow it to be put in different location of catalog

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2012 Jan 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have pitched this in other forums.. I HAVE READ the How to Optimize Lightroom performance and acted on every item and then some I have figured out on my own as well as read elsewhere.

Though through all of this one of the things I cannot still do to both better manage diskspace and performance is seperate my Previews.lrdata file from the Catalog.lrcat. My previews, images, program, and catalog themselves are stored off on separate drives.. but the previews file is still full of images and over 60 gigs at the particular moment and I regularly purge it off down to 0.

I would like to be able to put all of these items in separate drive locations if I choose. Today I have items 1-4 in separate locations.
1) Program / OS
2) RAW Images
3) Catalog.lrcat
4) Previews
5) Previews.lrdata

Christopher

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
19 Comments
People's Champ ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I voted for your idea. But:
- No. 4+5 are the same issue
- Purging the previews folder is not what you should be doing
- as of now you can separate the previews by use of symbolic links

Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I should have elaborated a bit more on #4 & #5 as what I understand they do and from my testing not the same..and if so.. why would the function and space be duplicated. If I have to create symbolic links (an OS manipulation) isn't that re-emphasizing the need for the feature with the program so the symbolic link work around is not required.

For example on my Mac:
#4 is in /Volumes/MacHD1/LR_Cache0/ as defined in the preferences-File Handling->Camera Raw Cache
But #5 is in
#5 is in /Volumes/CRS_SD_0/Users/UserName/Documents/LightroomCat/CRS_LR3_Catalog Previews.lrdata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, OK, then you should call it "ACR cache", as "Previews" is the term used for what's in the * Previews.lrdata folder.

I agree that using symbolic links should not be necessary, and a configuration option in catalog settings would be nice. That's why I voted for it :-)

Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd welcome the ability to have different locations for the preview data and the catalog data.

Sometimes I want to backup all my catalogs. All my catalogs live under one folder, but I cannot simply backup that folder since this would cause all preview data to become part of the backup as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally am for it. There's another problem that will get solved this way (I just posted an idea about it also): SSDs are limited in size and price, but are perfect for catalogs (due to their fast small block reads/writes, eg the PAtriot Wildfire 120GB or 480GB). Unfortunately, if you use 1:1 previews (as anybody interested in LR performance should), then those will eat into the catalog's drive massively, and even a 480GB SSD maxes out at 100000 1:1 previews - so today it's either 1:1 previews or SSD, not both :-(. (yea, even with a $4000 RAID-5 480GB SSDs you max out after 300K images, so this is not a solution).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this now (relocate previews) using a symbolic link on Mac, and there's some technique on Windows too, but I don't remember details - it's in a fairly recent thread about this, somewhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob: The problem is that if you use dropbox for storing the catalog (like me), it often gets confused about the symlinks and it also creates a confusing setup if you access the catalog from multiple computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

test

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough - point taken. - thanks, R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom: I would like to be able to have the previews on a different drive to the catalog ... or simply be able to use a link or junction (currently Lightroom prevents this for a reason that I don't understand ... perhaps to do with not allowing network drives?). This would mean that the catalog could be on an SSD, for example, and the previews on a hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest way to relocate previews or smart previews:

Using Preview Exporter (in plugin manager), click the 'Move Previews Away' button:

Image is not available

Note: It is just using links, so only solves problem of not knowing how to use the link commands.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have previews and smart previews in a separate folder to my catalogue. This would enable me to have my catalogue in a dropbox folder, always synched in the cloud and over into my laptop. At the moment I have a catalogue with 50 gigs of previews which is just too much to upload and keep uploading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google sez:

"Is it possible to insert a shooting mode with golden section? With the possibility of deciding the display"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to move Smart Previews to another location. Not have it hard coded to a location on drive C.

I

have a "junk" drive I use for stuff which I do NOT backup but keep synced copies of stuff held in the cloud for performance. I want the ability to have Lr use this drive for everything. My C drive, although having 200GB of available space, when I enable all local Smart Previews I end up with less than 30GB free; which is not beneficial for a stable Windows platform.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My LrC catalog is a bit over 4GB but my previews file is over 50GB. This is motivated by the current LR12/Ventura bug but in general, I'd love to have the catalog file on my fast but small internal drive and previews on a larger external.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Lumigraphics, all the previews files and other supporting data files must reside in the same folder as the Catalog file, if you wish to move the Catalog to a new location you have to move all the contents from the Lightroom folder to the new location. If not Lightroom will have to rebuild all the previews and support files. All those files need to be on a fast drive connected to your Computer internal or external.

While you work Lightroom is reading writing to them.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, this is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a problem it is so by design. You cannot separated the Catalog from the supporting files.

when you are workin in LrC it is reading and writing to the Catalog and at the same time updating the previews so changes in the display on your screen show as quickly as possible.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And I'm asking that this be changed. Hello. Please pay attention to the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate