• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: I would like to synchronize over LAN/Cable instead of internet

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR mobile sync is extremely slow. Giving me an option to sync locally would be excellent. And I'm sure very useful for professionals travelling in areas where internet is limited/non-existent or expensive and time consuming.Come on Adobe. If this is designed for professionals this slow sync and data usage issues on global data roaming....? It simply isn't practical. The product as is can't be recommended as is.(please also add keywords, ratings, labels to app functionality)Thanks!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 126 Replies 126
126 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Syncing a collection with 1000+ images for offline editing on mobile Lightroom is really painful. It will be absolutely fantastic if we can do it directly over wireless LAN. Really time-saving!

We do not always need to sync to the creative cloud all the times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Synchronizing with Lightroom Mobile can take several hours to sync and internet connectivity is not always available. When I work at remote locations, I want to work on my photos on the plane while flying home... I believe this is the whole idea of Lightroom Mobile - but this is impossible without internet connectivity. Synching over a LAN or USB connection makes sense.

I have now waited over 5 hours for a catalogue to sync and it is at 70%!!! I could edit, sort and finalise everything on my laptop by the time the sync is done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have the option to sync Lightroom Mobile (on the iPad) with my computer via LAN wifi (when devices are connected on the same network).. rather than having to sync via the internet and back which is much slower. My internet isn't very fast and I dont see the point in having to rely on this as a transfer process for photos between my computer and iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest update of Lightroom Mobile with Raw support is great but not being able to sync directly using the LAN wifi, without having to upload to the cloud, handicaps the mobile app for many users including myself. Lightroom Mobile is a free app but this is a feature that I would actually pay for. Right now this is the one thing that will keep me from using Lightroom Mobile in any major way. Would love to use my iPad for more of my image workflow but I don't want to use up internet bandwidth multiple times just to get images from an iPad to the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Lightroom Mobile is a waste of time and effort in general. Adobe built in the option for syncing your main catalog but the real aim is actually just to edit photos taken on your mobile device. It is much faster to just copy a catalog over to a laptop, edit and copy the catalog back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lack of LAN or direct synching is a problem. Just yesterday Adobe's servers   w e    r     e    r  un ni  ng s oo  ooooo  sl ooo ww  ly. Hideous.

Meanwhile, get Mylio. It does LAN synching and works with RAW, Lr and gives you more control. Maybe Adobe should buy them for their obviously superior tech.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take a LOT of pictures doing wildlife photography and many of the initial captures are garbage. I would love to sit on the couch and cull the images on my iPad in LR Mobile, however it is not currently practical. Syncing back to my main collection is very time consuming via the internet and uses a ton of my internet bandwidth allowance very quickly. The ability to sync using my own wifi network or even bluetooth would be a game changer for me.

We got RAW. That was half the battle. (Thanks for that!) Now on to a fast, easy way to get the culled/edited pictures into my main collection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2016 Jul 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, I am curious.
I have Windows-10 with a home WiFi network. My iPhone-5 can connect to the WiFi and sync my Lightroom 'mobile' collections. I do not use mobile data on the iPhone (very 'old school')
You may just need to investigate the setup for your iPad WiFi.
Mine is syncing as I type.
Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 16, 2016 Jul 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still uses internet... WiFi is just the means to which your devices connects to the internet. The size and quantity of the photos also plays a role. When you sync it goes to the Adobe Cloud and from there syncs to your phone or iPad. No internet... no syncing. The speed of the internet connection will also play a huge role.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me if this subject has already been discussed, but it really is about time Adobe introduced local sync via cable / wifi for Lightroom CC. As a developer and DBA I cannot accept the excuses Adobe have already given for refusing to add local sync, especially given how large smart preview files can be. Even worse, is the lack of sync of smart albums and folders. I work as a DBA and as a developer and (I'm sorry Adobe developers) these facilities are very easy to add, and should be added as soon as possible. Adobe developers, you have no valid reason to not add support for local sync and sync of smart collections and folders.

Relying on CC sync is too problematic and far to slow to make Lightroom Mobile a serious part of any reasonable workflow.

Come on Adobe developers - pull your socks up and do the job properly

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The internet might be ok if you're working at home or in your office, and you live/work in an area where there is reliable, fast broadband.  

When travelling - in hotels or guest houses or cruise ship - it's just not feasible to even remotely assume that a suitably fast and reliable internet connection will be available.  And don't forget there is the rest of the world might not have the coverage of broadband we're used to in our homes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be OK with bluetooth as well. Or frankly, even via cabled USB sync? There just needs to be a way to avoid everything going up to the cloud via the net, then down to the device, then back up, then back down for the exact reason you mention.

I use Lightroom as much to cull bad photos as to edit them (wildlife; you take a lot of shots!)  and had hoped to sit on the couch with my iPad and flag photos for deletion after zooming in, etc. Currently, this is just too slow a process to be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add my voice to the chorus on this. I took almost 4000 photos on a recent vacation, only took my iPad mini and iPhone with me to back up my cards each night. It would have been great to go directly from what I already had stored on my iPhone to desktop Lightroom when I got home, but having to pass all that data up to Creative Cloud then back down to my desktop would have been ridiculous, so I just downloaded the cards directly to my desktop instead - there was no point in actually working on the photos in LR mobile while on the trip.

At this point, Lightroom for mobile is a decent product that is getting better, but is severely hampered by Adobe's (seeming) desire to use it as a wedge to drive people to Creative Cloud for syncing. It may be easier to sync via CC for the developers at Adobe, but it's a workflow nightmare for users. Local sync over wifi (or even USB) is the only practical solution, so if Adobe wants to continue to require a CC membership to sync, it needs to build code into LR CC to handle local sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote from me for LAN sync from Lightroom Desktop to Lightroom Mobile. Even on a dedicated 100Mbps finds line (100down and up) it never maxes out my connection and syncing a few thousand images from latest shoot takes hours.

LAN sync will greatly increase the number of people who will end up using Lightroom Mobile.

If the developers are looking for how best to implement it, take a look at Dropbox. They have an option to enable LAN sync and then whilst a slow sync is continuing to the cloud in the background all local devices are sync'd super fast over gigiabit Ethernet or wifi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree completely. Wifi much too slow to be useful for larger raw files

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Lr mobile now is able to work with RAW files it should allow local sync using Wifi or cable connection via a local network. RAW files typically have a large size which makes it practically impossible to sync hundreds of images via the cloud. RAW editing doesn't make sense without local sync possibility. And it should be possible to stop syncing if I wish to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I woukd like to add my request that LAN syncing is implemented ASAP. However since I know that the only reason for not having already done so is strategic and not technical, I'm not holding my breath! As others here have pointed out it is shortsighted for Adobe to "force" users to syncing via CC. One can only assume that the sucess of their regrettable move to a SAS business model for their software delivery has blinded them to the advantages of listening to their userbase. I do hope I'm wrong about this and that LAN syncing is just around the corner......Until then LR mobile will rest on a virtual shelf for me. Shame as I think the product is pretty slick

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are already work on that? When the LAN sync will be released? That's the only question remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many of us begging to allow use of iPads for mobile workflow devices, but until you allow wired transfer back to desktops it is unrealistic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Echoing what other have said about sync pausing and syncing over lan wifi or cable, but more importantly, SELECTIVE SYNC please! 

I do not need every photo that I sync to my iPad also on my iPhone - look at how Dropbox works with selective sync, it is perfect. 

the need for pausing sync or doing it locally shows how people are using LRM - away from fast internet speeds, originating photo collections on the go in LRM rather than the desktop version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a tour guide and travel photographer and I love being able to work with my pictures on the go and to take advantage of the many opportunities that Lightroom mobile gives me... however, I do also use the desktop version of Lightroom... and there I have a big problem on the go...
I live and work mostly in South America and when I'm on the go I can't always count on internet (or will only have a poor internet access at hotels and other points)... so for me it would be crucial to be able to sync my images (and changes) without having to rely on a wifi connection - ideally I'd like to be able to connect my ipad with my macbook pro and have them sync over cable.
I know it sounds old fashioned... but it would be the best way for me and I believe (reading up a bit on the internet) for many others more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we've been ignored so long, and for those of us who are using the increasingly powerful Lr Mobile on similarly powerful devices, how 'bout SOME way of synching, even if not a LAN, locally? so we can use Lr Mobile when we're, um, mobile? My camera can sync via a direct connection; why not Lr Mobile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toute cette discussion et tous ces reproches face à votre solution sont pertinents....
Actuellement un iPad ne peut servir qu'à présenter quelques photos à un client en dehors de chez-sois dans tous les cas, ça n'est pas une solution valable pour un travail de shooting sérieux.
Et ce maudit pseudo-catalogue sur le Cloud, c'est nul, excusez-moi, mais je devrait vous demander de me rembourser l'iPad que j'ai acheter spécialement pour voyager et qui est inutilisable.... Vos évangélistes et autres publicités sont des mensonges  et de la poudre aux yeux !

All this discussion and all these complaints in the face of your solution are relevant....
 Currently an iPad can be used to present some pictures to a customer outside of home - be in all cases, it is not a valid solution for a serious shooting work.
 And this cursed pseudo-collection in the Cloud, it's lame, excuse me, but I should ask you to pay back me the iPad I buy especially for travel and which is unusable....  Your evangelists and other ads are lies

and the powder in the eyes!
Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I buy especially for travel and which is unusable

What's unusable about it?  Just because you don't have a fast enough internet connection? If you go to www.speedtest.net - how fast is your upload/download speed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think he's meaning while traveling he shouldn't be dependent of internet connection and instead there should be a way to get sync between Lightroom Desktop and LR Mobile even without internet.

I think he's right. That would be fully mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate