• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom: Moving multiple folders

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a workaround that will allow you to move many folders together into a new single folder inside Lightroom. For example, you may want to simplify the folder structure on your hard drive by adding a new parent folder to contain lots of subfolders. Moving subfolders one by one is tedious.
Idea Released

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012
Implemented in Lightroom 4:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never tried this before and didn't realize that you can't do it.

The workaround is to move them on the hard drive. When you try to find them in Lightroom the folder will have a question mark on it. You can right click the folder and there will be an option to "Find Missing Folder...". This is fast and easy...

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been longing for a true DAM makeover to the Library module since version 1.

For years my workflow relied on iView Media Pro which then got sold to Microsoft, renaming it Expression Media 2, which was then sold to Phase One where it's once again languished. Talk about a kicked around foster kid. But the one thing about EM2 is that's it's vastly superior to LR for in-application file handling.

For instance you can create a new Folder without having to open a Modal dialog box. If you want to Rename a Folder you can click on the name and rename in place, again without having to open a clunky Modal dialog box. You can move multiple Folders at the same time. And most importantly you can set Folders to be Watched so that if any files are added or changed in the Finder (outside of LR interface) it will give you a visual cue that a change has taken place. (See attached image). This feature is invaluable. Sure you can synchronize a folder in LR but you're never sure if you need to.

Image is not available

LR allows you to select multiple Folders (of course) but if you have more than one selected and try to move them into another Folder it will only move the first Folder selected without giving you any warning. If you're not paying attention you might assume all the Folders were moved properly as they would be in the Finder (Mac OS).

For a long time I used EM2 for DAM and only sent the files to LR for processing but after awhile I found this too tedious and potentially confusing. I pretty much only use LR now but I fervently hope that the next version upgrade will give a little love to the Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually a bug that got deferred too many times (3). It won't be again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2011 Apr 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, please do. The more I learn about the wonders of Lightroom workflow, the more refinements I need to make to directory structures. When the changes involve changes to multiple directories it is a real problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request: In Lightroom 3 in folders view, you can only move one folder at a time. I would be very helpful to be able to group select a number of folders, and move them all at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHEN is this going to be fixed. Still seems to be half there in LR 3.5 (win 7 x64). Half an implementation is MUCH worse than none at all. What is the timeline and status of this bug please? Dan, do you have the clout to escalate this?

Ta,

N

PS this site doesn't play nice with Opera either does it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fixed in the next major release (still internal only). I probably won't have much luck encouraging it to be back ported to the 3.x line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear that this is being addressed... are you by any chance able to confirm that you are also tackling this other missing feature...?: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

I really appreciate the openness on this matter, but I am very disappointed that it isn't going to be seen unless I pony up for the 4.0 version.

It seem a bit unfair given that this is such a glaring omission in basic file management.

Lightroom is supposed to be *the* workflow tool. It is silly that they would overlook something like this, and then charge us for basic functionality.

Victor

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. However, please express to the higher-ups what a bunch of losers I think they are for planning to make us shell out for a bug fix.

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Implementing a feature like this carries a risk of creating a whole bunch of new bugs. So they tend to do this when they're already creating a lot of churn and therefore have time planned to fix all the bugs created by all that churn. In other words, it's probably a high-risk change and that risk probably isn't worth it in a dot release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much nailed it, Lee Jay. I'll give Nick and Victor a nod on the fact that it's totally lame that it took 3 revs for this to get done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, well, I have my own list of things in that category!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Implemented in Lightroom 4:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I don't think you can actually say it's 'Implemented' when it's only available in a Beta product!

Votes

Translate

Translate