• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Selective Sync for use with Multiple Catalogs

LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot weddings and edit with LR Classic. Each wedding gets it's own LR catalog to keep things simple and together. I use LR CC on my iPad pro and desktop for storing and editing personal photos. Sometimes I would like to edit my wedding work out and about and my iPad running LR CC would seem like the perfect solution. However, if I sync a collection from within a LR Classic wedding catalog with LR CC, it uploads the collection to allow me to edit in LR CC but that same LR Classic catalog then downloads my entire LR CC library and collections, introducing personal pictures to my streamlined and unique wedding catalog. 
I appreciate they are two completely different products, however a simple option to only sync a specific collection from within LR Classic would make editing on the go a breeze. There are enough dialogue boxes that pop up after you have synced that prevent you from deleting images mistakenly from the "all synced" collection, a simple check box before initiating the sync asking if you would like to sync/download the entire CC catalog with this collection or not would work perfectly. 
Or even an option in the sync preferences:

• sync all CC contents with this catalog - Y/N
  • sync only selected collections with CC - Y/N

In this scenario, every new catlog I make could have a "to edit mobile (insert couple name)" collection that I drag and drop images into when ever I need to edit on the go, without downloading my entire CC library to every catalog.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop using multiple catalog and start using Collections to separate the different weddings.

Bottom line is Adobe isn't going to add functionality to the sync feature in LR Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Just Shot Me. I used to use multiple catalogs, but then I stopped, realizing that it works better with one catalog, even with tens (or hundreds) of thousands of photos it doesn’t significantly slow down. Don’t forget to keyword your events!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m with Carlos and Just shot me. There are some scenario’s for multiple catalog (Peter Krogh wrote a book about it) but your workflow easely could be managed in one catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.  One Catalog is the way to go.  Having multiple catalogs just just adds complexity whether or not you're syncing to the cloud.  Use Folder, or Collections, or Keywords to keep your wedding clients separate from each other

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shooting between 35 and 45 weddings a year, each with 5,000 - 7,000 images, plus commercial and family pictures, using a single catalog doesn't really work for me personally. Plus my business model is based on speed and quick turnaround which having separate catalogs allows, I can keep the catalog file and import folder on a hard drive which I can then use on both the office desktop and my laptop at home. The final cog would be some form of selective sync so I can do quick edits and organisation on the go via LR CC on my iPad. However after your comments and a little more investigating it seems that this won't happen, so my 2nd option is to swap the iPad for a Surface pro and plug the hard drive into that if I need any mobile work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Far be it from me to to change what seems to be working for you.  However, I don't really see in your scenario what that workflow requires multiple catalogs.  I have nearly 100,000 images, for a multitude of clients all in one catalog.  I have all the images and the one catalog sitting on an external drive that I move from computer to computer at will (Plug and Play).  When traveling I plug it into my laptop.  When at the office I plug it into my desktop.  When just out and about or visiting clients to show them their images on a portable device (tablet, or through LR CC web on their desktop) I use the CC apps which shows images I have chosen to sync with the cloud, with each client in their own Album (collection in Classic, Album in CC).  This is what it sounds like you are doing as well but with multiple catalogs.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read Martyn to be saying that he has upwards of 315,000 images per year...that's far more than your catalog, and he has multiple use cases (event, commercial, personal) that he wants to separate into different catalogs. Adobe should support syncing collections from multiple catalogs...if not, why did they have multiple catalogs in the first place?  I think this is just a case of Adobe not really doing it right. They really should have better support for online sharing and display of images. It's never been something they are good at though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My lr catalog consists of over 300k images. I havent noticed any slow down. The convenience of a single catalog is just great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do personal and commercial work as I'm sure we all do, and the commercail work also contains Boudoir, so i prefer to keep those seperate when family wants to review vacations shots in LR. Selective catalog sync should be on the to do list or at least a simpler path to switch between syncs for catalogs and sysnc all catalogs to the cloud. Its simply a permissions effort in my mind. 

Votes

Translate

Translate