Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Lightroom: Sorting and filter in import dialog

43 Votes
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently work a job that requires JPGs on site and raw files for post the next day. I have to work fast and would like to be able to sort images on my card by file type, so I can quickly import the JPGs for immediate output to 4x6 proofs. A subsequent step is to copy the raw files to a separate folder for processing after the job is over.

Currently I'm directing LR's import dialog to look at the desktop that has no images, then sorting and selecting by file type in my OS file browser, and dragging the selected JPGS onto the LR dialog window, where their status is "checked". The raw files on the same card show as unselected/unchecked in the dialog window, interspersed with the selected JPG files. It's a little busy and hard to quickly see that I have all the desired files selected for import.

Could you just make a sort by "file type" option in the import dialog that would group and separate the JPGs from the raw files? Thanks... Tom Meyer
Idea Released
TOPICS
Desktop

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
36 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2016 Oct 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! Professional photographer here using Adobe products for years! This is such an obvious need to tell the import box to sort by file extension before importing. Please!!! Looks like people have been asking for this for YEARS!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2016 Oct 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have... and been ignored for years. Very Comcast like behavior.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

including allowing or ignoring multiple file types.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 years since this thread started and still no easy way to select only raw or JPEG files to import from a card in the latest Lightroom CC (Lightroom version: CC 2015.10 [ 1111918 ]). I understand that a "select RAW only" option could be tricky to implement but surely a "sort by file type" would be fairly easy, here already being a dropdown to select sort type and code to apply the sort. Surely adding another sort order is fairly trivial, particularly one based on file type (or extension). Being able to sort by file type, allowing contiguous selection of all JPEG or raw files is all we really need.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's already a "sort by file type" option in the Library module. Why it's not easily added to the Import dialog is a mystery to me.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom, I just added a very similar request. I'm sure it will be rolled into this one, but I figure the more the merrier. This is a really simple idea that should have been implemented years ago. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow users to filter photos in the Import dialogue box by file type, date captured, camera & lens used. 

This would be a quick and easy way to only import JPEGs or RAW files, quickly locate and import the images on a card/drive from a specific date or camera, etc. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Andy... see you back here in another 5 years!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe how long this has been requested, this should be in LR already.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got it! I found a work around to quickly select only the RAWs when import to Lightroom.

First you have to enable the "Treat JPEG files next to Raw files as separate photos." option in Lightroom preferences. Next, when importing, don't use the "Import..." button to start the process, instead go to your SD card on Finder (or whatever source) and sort by Kind and select only the RAWs, then drag the RAW files and drop them on the Lightroom icon on the Dock, this will make Lightroom initiate the import process with only the RAWs selected! That's it!

This has been tested on a Mac, as this is what I use, on Windows you probably would have to select the RAWs and use the right click Open With.. context menu option, but I can't confirm it since a don't have a Windows computer with Lightroom installed.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For reference by future readers:  LR 7 added a File Type sort order to the Sort menu in the toolbar at the bottom of the Import window.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines