• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support for importing Live Photos (iOS 9, iPhone 6s)

LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got iphone 6s. One new feature is "Live Photos" which while taking a still picture also takes a 3 sec movie. When imported into Apple's Photos app each Live photo becomes 2 files, a movie file and a normal picture file that can be edited. In lightroom the imported Live photo file is only a movie file, which can"t be edited. Can this be changed in a future update so that importing also gives a normal still picture file and a movie file?

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 128 Replies 128
128 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suffering under the very same issue since I switched from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7+ with Live Photo support. Once you fixed this please also describe the recommended way to reimport all the RAW currently missing photos imported into Lightroom for which currently (only) the live videos are already in the lightroom database...Thanks for your support! Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem with some of my iPhone 7 Live Photos.  Some work fine in Lightroom CC (latest update), others give me the green preview and wont play within Lightroom (or Bridge) but play fine outside Lightroom. 

Any idea when a fix may be coming? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iPhone 7.  I have Lightroom CC 2015.8. I am running OS X 10.11.6.  when I import Live Photo images from my iPhone to Lightroom, with jpeg+mov treated as separate files, I get MOST of the jpegs and a separate .mov file.  However the .mov file is 2-3 sec file that has rainbow snow or just a green screen in the lightroom preview and play of it.  On the desktop, the .mov file exits as a true movie file with all data. A FEW of the live photo files come with both .mov and .jpg and both are seen by Lightroom.  but very few.  

Most of the .mov's are not seen correctly with Lightroom, even after
  • sync'ing the folder,
  • deleting the .mov files from lib and reimporting,
  • deleting whole file from disk and reimporting from iPhone.

thoughts?
sp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the comments, SP.
This is a known issue with Lightroom. We are looking into it.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil-thank you for that.  Seems this has been going on since Live Photos was introduced, yet no appreciable shift in being able to handle the format seems to be functioning.  I imagine you are might not be in charge of fixing it....but is this something that is even being worked on?   Thank you again for attention to this issue
sp

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sunil Bhaskaran: Do you have a status update? This is an absolutely must-have thing for me and the others. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucky & Scott,
We are working on the issues related to Live photos.
The next Lightroom version should fix most of the import related issues.
We are currently investigating an issue that some of the mov files in Live photos do not play correctly.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've imported all photos into LR but have the same problem as others have mentioned (green screen). My question is, can I delete the files off of my phone (desperately need the space) trusting that I will able to see my already imported live photos on LR when there's a fix? Any other suggestions? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can view your photo files properly in any other software tha LR they should be safe. If not, stay on the safe side and keep them on the phone or copy them elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe released Lightroom 6.9/CC2015.9 today.

This issue should be corrected in this release. Please give it a try and let us know if you see any further issues. 

Complete information about this update can be found at the Lightroom Journal: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/03/lightroom-cc-2015-9-now-available.html

If you don’t see the update in your Creative Cloud App, you can use the kbsc [Cmd/Ctrl]+[Opt/Alt]+[ R ]  to refresh your app. If you are a perpetual license holder, you can access the update via Help>Updates...

Refer to this for any installation issues: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/keeping-lightroom-up-to-date.html#lrcc2015
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed 6.9, but I get some green mov-files when importing live photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,
Some of the mov files may ran into this issue. We are working on it.
Does it mean that all your mov files are displayed like this?

Thanks,
Sunil 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not all are grean. I just thought this was one of the issues fixed in 6.9, since it was one of the problems in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sunil,

I just verified this again as well on my iMac using iPhone 7+ after installation of the latest LR update.Some of the short live photo videos show okay, but many are unfortunately still shown in green in preview and playback also does not work (nothing but green is shown).
Also there's still an issue when the iPhone locks the screen during an ongoing import process, this typically leads to interruption of the import process. When I have to import a large number of new pictures, this almost always happens due to the very slow import process (iPhone 7 and Retina iMac).
Honestly, I am still not happy at all with this. The iPhone is a VERY commonly used device for photography these days, and personally while some others might not I like the idea of live photos. Since the issue started the import process in combination with the iPhone is slow, unstable, incomplete and my trust in it is down to zero at the moment (which is why I never deleted a single picture on my current iPhone cause I'm still waiting for Lightroom to be reliable again and show all the live photos correctly (= photos + the short videos)).On the other hand I like the editing functions and workflow of Lightroom, which is why I would prefer not having to switch to Apple's solution instead. With my Canon DSLR Lightroom just works perfectly fine as always, but meanwhile the number of pics I take with the iPhone is much bigger and a stable and robust import process for this device as well is critical for me.

Please keep us updated here about your progress in fixing these still existing very painful issues. I am really happy to see that you are watching this discussion and take our feedback over to your R&D team!
Best wishes, thanks for your support!
Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this. Keep up the good work Adobe. iPhones, Pixel and S7/S8 should be top priority these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom does not support it at all. I just get jpeg file from Live Photo file. And there is no movie file at all. I have iPhone 7 Pro. I can't see them in my library on iPhone neither on Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, Christopher & Gregard,
We are aware of the Live photo issue you mentioned (some of the movie files displayed with a green preview) We need to update a component that we use for video rendering. We are working on it. I will let you know once we have some progress.
I thought even after iPhone is locked, an import process that has already started gets completed. Isn't it the case?
Thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edward,
Could you please let us know the Lightroom version you use?

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the last one
iOS : v 2.7.1 3D4B98
Mac : 2015.9

I've just checked one more time. Made the Live Photo. And they are simple jpegs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sunil,
Great. I am wainting to import my live photos too 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I still experience a problem when the iPhone locks its screen.I am just trying to import only the new pictures on my iPhone 7+. During rendering of the previews in the import selection pane previews don't get rendered anymore after the iPhone screen locked itself after few minutes... (see following screenshot)The text in the preview frames says in German language "preview for this file is not available". After a while that text appears in every preview frame and not a single additional picture is rendered anymore which makes image selection impossible.At this point I have to cancel the import process, unlock the iphone again, go again in the import window and remember to touch the iphone screen once in a while so it doesn't lock itself... I just did this and almost immediately I saw all previews in the import selection window (no idea why at second attempt they show up so extremely quick?!). The actual import process itself seems very slow to me, but that might just be a feeling caused by many video files I have usually on my iPhone that take long to import. In many cases when I start the import process the even minutes later I don't even see the first picture or video from my iPhone appearing in the "Current Import" picture folder. I will try to find out if that's also caused by the screen locking after few minutes and then update you later again.Best wishes, Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the actual import even seems to continue when the iPhone 7+ screen is locked. BUT I just watched it during import and it took about 3-4 minutes until the first picture actually appeared in the "Current Import" folder, which seems crazily long, once the first picture appeared the rest of the pictures appears rather fluently. This is all very, very strange...  Hope you report this feedback back to your developers and find a solution for all these reported issues to make Lightroom the best tool again to work, develop and organize more than 100K photos in a robust, fast and reliable way.And I'd like to mention again: Thanks, Sunil, for listening to us here and supporting us!Best wishes, Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sad. I've just imported 2 months of photos of my newborn babe. Deleted pics of iphone and then realised to my dismay that they are ALL mov files in lightroom. Needless to say I've turned off LIVE on the iPhone now, but it's too late. Any ideas what I can do? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not despair  just yet!
When you delete an image, it goes to a folder  in Albums called Recently Deleted that have to be emptied manually unless you wait 30d and then they are autogamagically deleted I believe.  Check in that folder to see if your newborn photos are there.  

Do you have iCloud Photo Library on?   if so they might be in your iCloud account also. Or if you put them in an iCloud Shared Album, they could exist there maybe independent of your iPhone?

The movie file may have also imbedded a jpg in it when it transferred and Lightroom just cannot see it?  but it exists? and someone with much greater knowledge than I can assess and help you pull them out?

Finally, if you do not take any more pics for a short time ( or have not taken many), the images MAY be able to be recovered from the area in memory they were stored.  not sure about that with a phone, I know that can happen with DSLR's memory cards and certainly on a computer hard drive.

I hope at least one of these hits the mark or is at least close to it.

Good luck with it-sp

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott thanks so much for taking the time to reply so promptly. I used an importer called Image Capture and I'm afraid they immediately disappear, not even in trash. But good point, I'll google that and check. Will also look into the embedded jpeg thing, but I feel like that might have been mentioned above it was a thing? Anyway, all good ideas. Have already checked iCloud and I don't have it turned on but will now. Anyway, thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate